Watchmen

Ser Hot Pie

What a thoroughly depressing thread. I've always been happy and secure in my belief that a 'Watchmen' movie would never move out of development hell into reality.......

Maybe I'll have the common sense not to see this one, after the disappointment of 'From Hell' and the sheer mind-numbing despair of 'League of Extraordinary Gents'.....

• 2 months later...

Huzzah! Keanu passed on Watchmen. Instead it looks like we're getting Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan, Patrick Wilson as Night Owl and Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Comedian. The movie now has a release date (6 March 2009) and apparently they're aiming for an R rating.

Check it.

EDIT: According to the Hollywood Reporter they've also added Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach, Malin Akerman as the Silk Spectre and Matthew Goode as Ozymandias.

And indeed it did turn out to be bullshit. The new casting news comes straight from the director.

The only thing I've seen Crudup in was Almost Famous, but he was good in that, with a touch of the otherworldly. I can see him as Manhattan.

• 7 months later...

Huh. Interesting. Comedian looks dead on, that's for sure. Night Owl... I know the character was supposed to be a Batman analog, but even so I'm surprised by how Dark Knight he looks... Pretty cool though.

AICN has posted a link to the watchmen website showing some of the characters in costume...i'm really hoping they can pull this movie off. i was disappointed in v for vendetta..

linky

Rorschach and The Comedian look cool. Ozymandias looks terrible and the rest are meh, imho.

And yeah, there is no way they can do this justice in a two hour movie. It would have to be a ten hour miniseries on HBO or something. I'll watch it, of course, but I'm not expecting anything.

I'm pretty sure that's Silk Specter II (Malin Ackerman) not Silk Specter I who's played by Carla Gugino.

I like them and I'm fine with the Ozymandias outfit, though I think it would be fine if his outfit was even more ridiculous with more bright colors, like a strutting peacock.

Wow, those look cool.

I really am not going to go into this movie with the expectations of the Graphic Novel. I just hope they can do a good job of it as a movie on its own terms.

The miniseries is the only way the depth of the GN could be matched, but the cost of it would be highly prohibitive, resulting in either cuts that shouldn't be made or cheapness that would taint it.

I was pretty excited to hear that they're including an animated version of the Black Freighter storyline on the DVD, featuring Gerard Butler voicing the lead role.

It won't be in the feature? Damn. I know Snyder was trying hard to let him make that a part of the feature. I thought after the success of 300 he might get his way.

I think it is a stupid choice but I am still glad they are making this movie. It will probably be a pile of crap but I am still hoping that it will be good, its a long shot.

**keeping fingers and toes crossed**

It won't be in the feature? Damn. I know Snyder was trying hard to let him make that a part of the feature. I thought after the success of 300 he might get his way.

I don't think the parallel storylines would have worked in film like they do in print; I'm sure in a miniseries the relationship could have played out pretty effectively, but in a movie I see the reason for TBF to be kept separate. Release is still a year away, though, so I don't think editing in the animated portions would be all that out of the question. Hopefully that option will be on the DVD at least.

Comedian, Rorschach, and Nite Owl are perfect. I'm really digging the scaled armor look of the Owl's suit. And yes, totally a Batman rip, but that's as it should be. ;)

I'm not thrilled with Ozymandias, though. It's overdone. I'm sure they'll say he's hearkening back to the Classical world with that breastplate, but in the comic he's notable for being a hero who doesn't carry any hardware, unlike the Comedian or Nite Owl. It's all about him, the superman -- superior intellect, superior reflexes, superior physique. He should be sleek in appearance, not hefty. He needs to be a contrast to Nite Owl in his suit, or the Comedian when we meet him. Only Dr. Manhattan should outstrip him (heh) in the sleekness area. Well, and Silk Spectre, I suppose.

Archived