Watchmen

Ser Hot Pie

Maltaran,

Sure, but soon enough they'll be teasing and putting out trailers making it clear that the opening plot involves the mystery of who murders the Comedian. Even if they don't do that, people are still going to remember Veidt looking somewhat villainous, thereby being put on their guard more than someone coming entirely fresh to Watchmen ought to be.

Oh well, there probably won't be that many who actually pay attention to any of the promotional stuff put out there.

I think people might suspect him even more if he's the only one who doesn't look dark and menacing. It's too easy to make the least-likely person in a story to be a villain turn out to be the one. If he's just like all the others in his style then he doesn't stand out so much.

I know several people who figured out who Keyser Soze was in the Usual Suspects because they just looked for the one in the story least likely to be him (myself? I was totally shocked on that one).

He's not really looking like everyone else, though. Nite Owl and Silk Spectre certainly don't look like villains to my eye, and Rorschach's certainly got a very different aesthetic that makes him harder to pin down, I think. Only Comedian and Ozymandias have costumes that register, to me, as "bad guys".

In the comic, Veidt has a fairly bright costume, which is also quite sleek and form-fitting and fits pretty clearly into the good-guy side of the comic costume spectrum.

Silk Spectre's costume has the exact same palette as in the comic, I'll note, and it doesn't seem overly bright to me. Ozymandias's bulky breastplate look is still all wrong for the character, the palette has become darker and a lot more muted, and I still think this sort of promotional picture is tipping their hand much too early regarding what kind of role viewers should expect from him in the movie.

To each their own, in any case.

I agree with a few others here that it's more the setting and overall tone of the shot that lends his costume that slightly sinister edge, but I'm also guessing that we'll more

than likely see Ozymandias strutting about in business suits seeing as he gave up the

whole superhero caper a long time ago. Anyone betting we might see a different suit (one closer to the original) in the inevitable flashbacks?

• 1 month later...

A video concerning costuming here. Some neat stuff glimpsed, in particular towards the end when they show some design pictures for various characters and villain/hero costumes.

• 2 months later...

There's a new trailer up, with movie footage.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NhzTfi10lHY

I think some site was supposed to have an exclusive on this for tomorrow morning, so I'm not sure if this YouTube link is kosher. It may be taken down. Fair warning.

ETA: Damn. That was quick. Warner Brothers pulled it.

I've gotta say, that was a horrible trailer. The fact that nearly all of it was comprised of action sequences (with those annoying slo-mo parts that Snyder loved to use for some godforsaken reason in 300) does make me worried that they're forgetting that there is very little action in Watchmen and what there is isn't what makes the comic memorable. And judging from 300, I've always thought that Snyder was the wrong choice for this movie. So, my hype is dying down.

I've gotta say, that was a horrible trailer. The fact that nearly all of it was comprised of action sequences (with those annoying slo-mo parts that Snyder loved to use for some godforsaken reason in 300) does make me worried that they're forgetting that there is very little action in Watchmen and what there is isn't what makes the comic memorable. And judging from 300, I've always thought that Snyder was the wrong choice for this movie. So, my hype is dying down.

I actually loved the trailer, which was surprising because I loathed 300. It doesn't surprise me they packed the action sequences in, given that this is a commercial for a high-budget film. I will remain a skeptic until I see this, but I'm a lot more relieved/excited than I was when Snyder was announced as the director.

There's a reason why Alan Moore tells everybody to take his name off the material whenever someone wants to adapt his stuff into movies.

The trailers make it look like a pretty good popcorn flick, but nobody can possibly expect it to have all the significant imagery and allusions the comic has. I don't know what to feel about this comic book movie trend. In one hand main stream appreciation always means there will be some kids who discover and get really into comics, but on the other hand, it makes it a cheap fad to cash in on. I wish companies would stop licensing comics like Wanted, Constantine and Watchmen and fucking it up with movies that pretty much have nothing to do with the comic.

Which is not to say I didn't necessarily enjoy the movies. Wanted was really great mindless fun, and I actually liked a lot of things about Constantine, but they just shit completely on the genius that made the original comics so great. If anything they just should've just been completely independent movies on their own with original characters. It's way better to do that than just buy a comic and make it a cash cow summer flick by cheapening the characters and the story.

Last week a visited an old mentor of mine. His name's Joey Cavalieri, and he's a senior editor at DC Comics. We took a tour around the office and I got to meet all the editors and asked them what they thought about comic book movies. DC Comics is not really "independent" anymore because it's been bought by Warner Brothers a long time ago, and it was because there were a lot of times when the Big 2 (Marvel and DC) almost went under due to bankrupcy and lack of interest in comics. Now the business survives by movie licensing. It's come to the point where comics are simply advertisements for the films now, which is the reverse in Japan, where anime is the advertisement for the manga.

Reading comics makes you a geek, but watching movies doesn't. Movies have a mainstream appeal, and it simply doesn't make sense for a corporation to invest their future into comics instead of movies. It sucks, but that's how the industry is run now, and that's how it has to be run.

Since the superhero thing is being bled dry, the only comic book movies I look forward to these days are ones that are being done by quiet, low key productions. That said, really looking forward to Whiteout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteout_(2008_film)

Loved the comic.

I just watched the trailer for this. I've only heard of the graphic novel, so I've no idea what the premise for this movie is.

My two primary thoughts though were thus: "Eww, the director is the one who did '300'? :ack:"

and

"What the fuck is that woman wearing? She looks like a latex bumble bee."

I like the dark feel of the movie, but like...I don't know if I can take it seriously with a woman that looks like an insect. I just don't think I'm up for that.

"What the fuck is that woman wearing? She looks like a latex bumble bee."

I like the dark feel of the movie, but like...I don't know if I can take it seriously with a woman that looks like an insect. I just don't think I'm up for that.

That would be Silk Specter, she's not trying to look like an insect. Also, understand the story is very much a riff on the tropes of comic books, so if some of them didn't have slightly silly costumes the point wouldn't be made quite as well. In the comic sometimes the characters even question the whole costume thing at various times.

But the story is much, much bigger and deeper than that. Time Magazine named it one of the 100 greatest novels of the 20th Century, for instance. Is it really that good? Maybe, I don't know. It's certainly deals with some moral quandaries that few, if any, stories I have seen or read before or since have even dared to imagine, much less tackle. The movie is apparently pretty slavish to the comic (minus one major sub-plot the studio wouldn't let them do), so hopefully they get it right. If they do it could be monumental, but I'll settle for just damn good and thought provoking.

The movie is apparently pretty slavish to the comic (minus one major sub-plot the studio wouldn't let them do), so hopefully they get it right. If they do it could be monumental, but I'll settle for just damn good and thought provoking.

Mind spoilering that major sub-plot? I'm rather curious what could be so very deviant that the studio wouldn't let them do it.

And thanks for talking about the novel. I've put it on my 'to read' list. :)

Archived