Failure to Launch

Frosty

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - had to read it for English Lit. never got past the first chapter.

Swords of Shannara by Terry Brookes - I've started this book about 5 times in my life and never managed to get past the halfway point.

Intervention by Julian May on Ser Stubby's recommendation - tried a couple of times, but nothing doing.

I've read WoT up to book 9 and just can't bring myself to read the next books.

I have a fairly high tolerance for crappy books (I confess that I have not only read the Fifth Sorceress from start to finish but the follow up as well - I didn't enjoy either one) I tend to feel obliged to push on and finish the damn thing once I've started.

laoise / Ser Stubby's Strumpet

I have a fairly high tolerance for crappy books (I confess that I have not only read the Fifth Sorceress from start to finish but the follow up as well - I didn't enjoy either one) I tend to feel obliged to push on and finish the damn thing once I've started.

I have the same curse. There are few books I have not finished once I have started them. And it takes a long time for me to give up on a series, too. I finally gave up on Goodkind after Pillars of Creation and Laurell K. Hamilton after Danse Macabre. There are a couple of mystery series I have stopped reading as well.

I have tried to be kinder to myself - I stopped reading that one series with Eragon, and never went on to the next book. And I never even tried to read Fifth Sorceress after hearing how bad it was...

I'm not sure if it is simple stubborness or a masochistic streak that kept me reading some of these series so long... :leaving:

I suffer the same ailment. I find it very difficult to throw down a book that annoys me.

The signle exception that I remember is S. King's "It", which disgusted me so much in so few pages that I dumped it and later gave it away.

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. I got perhaps seven pages in before quitting.

Ah, one of the Thomas Covenant books, I can't remember which one, put down after about twenty pages.

Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. However, I was about ten when I started it, and a friend has previously recommended to me and praised it most highly, so I'll pick it up again sometime and give it another chance.

'Jude the Obscure' - Thomas Hardy for me as well. Also - 'The Pickwick Papers' - Charles Dickens (I love Dickens, but this early work was just too episodic and lacking in structure), and 'Anna Karenina' - Tolstoy.

Finally, I'm afraid to say - many years ago after ploughing through Fellowship and Two Towers, I stuttered to a halt midway through 'Return of the King'. Even though, perversely, I was enjoying that stage of the story far more than 'Fellowship' - I was just tired of fantasy. Didn't read another fantasy novel for about 15 years, till Mr Martin started writing a certain series...........

So many to mention: WoT after the sixth book, The Dark Tower after the third book, The Time Traveller's Wife, The Wings of the Dove, most bestsellers I buy in airports for a flight -- I just can't bear a thought of that rubbish after I get off the plane, etc, etc.

I used to feel compelled to struggle through books I hated. No longer. Recently I've given up on:

Getting Rid of Mister Kitchen - Charles Higson

Left Behind - Tim Lahaye & some other fella

Witches' Brew - Terry Brooks (don't think I made it past the first page of this)

City of Saints and Madmen - Jeff Vandermeer (though I may give this one another shot)

On the other hand, I struggled through the first few books of Katherine Kerr's Deverry series because a friend had lent them to me and I was being polite, and eventually got quite hooked on the series and now really enjoy it... :unsure:

There are only two books I picked up to read for myself, started, and failed to finish at all.

One is Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card. I actually didn't make it past the introduction.

The other was... some New Jedi Order book in the Star Wars series, following after the pair by Salvatore and Stackpole, respectively. I forgot the name, but I just didn't care. It was the last time I bought a Star Wars book.

Sadly, I finished through all the SoT paperbacks that were out when I read... even though after Pillars, I wasn't keen on reading Naked Empire, I made myself finish it. And decided never again.

Edit: While I didn't pick it out, my father once tried to force me to read Catch-22, and I couldn't. However, it bears noting that I had no desire to read it, but had a book shoved down my throat, so I can't say if I'd actually drop the book if I chose to read it myself.

The One Kingdom, by Sean Russell. I just found it dull and uninspiring.

Yup, me too. Same goes for First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain.

Gardens of the Moon, Steven Erikson: I certainly appreciated how dense his world was, but his characters did nothing for me, and I found his writing style rather impenetrable. Also kept falling asleep while I was reading it. Still, I'll probably try it again at some point.

Godslayer, Mickey Zucker Reichert: I thought it started promisingly, but then I found I couldn't get past the third chapter; something about her Earth characters just rubbed me the wrong way.

Kingdom of the Grail, Judith Tarr: First Tarr book I've tried, and while I think she has a nice writing style, this story did nothing for me, and the characters annoyed the hell out of me, especially the sorceress woman or whoever she is. Made it about a quarter way through before packing it in.

Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. However, I was about ten when I started it, and a friend has previously recommended to me and praised it most highly, so I'll pick it up again sometime and give it another chance.

I like this series. The first three. Don't go on though - the last three are absolutely disgusting.

@Rhaegon Targaryen: It's rubbish because its old...I think they were published in the 1970s. How can you expect a series written for the fan base at that time to fit in with the fan base of this time? Would have even ASoIaF made it in that time? Don't judge a book by it's cover....judge it by the people it was written for.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - had to read it for English Lit. never got past the first chapter.________________________

laoise / Ser Stubby's Strumpet

You lose this game as that book is about 17 pages long. Cop out. :P

So many to mention: ...The Time Traveller's Wife,

*Diez and iz ded.*

I have never heard a bad word about that book until now.

Archived