Crackpot Theories... Anyone have a complete list?

The_BlauerDragon

I wonder if anyone has a full listing of all the crackpot theories that have been presented, argued, debunked, etc. I'm talking about the real theories, not the jokes.

Also, What are the most bizarre and troubling Ships that have been presented as actual ships people wanted to see?

:fence: :cheers:

Okay, I'll go first... The worst one to me is R+L=J...

Worst Crackpot theories:

1. Dawn=Lightbringer.
  2. Cersei poisoned Tyrion's pie at the purple wedding.
  3. Cersei and Littlefinger sent the catspaw to assasinate Bran, not Joffrey.
  4. Joffrey cut the cat open to help it.
  5. Jon=AA/PWWP.
  6. Tyrion is a Targaryen.
  7. Baby Aegon is still alive.
  8. Darkstar=Aegon.
  9. Aurane Waters=Aegon.
  10. Edric Dayne=Aegon.
  11. Jon Snow=Aegon.
  12. The Faceless men are all wargs and warging is the main way they kill.
  13. Jeyne Westerling was swapped for a look-alike.
  14. Jeyne is preggers or has given birth to Robb's child.
  15. Syrio=Jaqen.
  16. Littlefinger initiated the war between Robert and Aerys/Rhaegar.
  17. Mycella's body double was the one who was maimed by Darkstar.
  18. Euron warged into Balon and jumped off a bridge to kill him

Best crackpot theories:

1. Hot Pie is Aegon Targaryen.
  2. Margaery Tyrell is Jon Snow's twin sister.
  3. Ned warged into Lyanna and gave birth to Jon.
  4. Taena Merryweather is one of Varys' disguises

Depends what you define as a crackpot theory. I think of crackpot as something that is pretty much infeasible but people cling on to it and find tiny little things that may or may not support it. Like Taena=Varys.

R+L=J, whether or not you agree with it (I don't know if I do), isn't really crackpottery. It's got a fair amount of textual support and solid reasoning behind it.

Saying R+L=J is a crackpot theory is like saying the COTF are extinct. Both are laid out fairly well for the reader who pays careful attention to detail; or who came to this board, read the thread and did a re-read.

Also, Syrio=Jaqen while possibily mildly crackpot is not completely crackpot. I don't have AGOT handy (lending it to a friend), but there's an interesting passage from Sansa's chapter shortly after the incident where Syrio is "killed" by the Kingsguard (forget the name, Trant maybe?) Anywho, Sansa notes that the same kingsguard that was left with Syrio has and I paraphrase "unsually dead eyes this morning". Why would he have dead eyes? Why would Jaqen offer the coin to Arya? She didn't really do much to garner any interest in her abilities in front of Jaqen....it's not completely outlandish by any means.

Also, Syrio=Jaqen while possibily mildly crackpot is not completely crackpot. I don't have AGOT handy (lending it to a friend), but there's an interesting passage from Sansa's chapter shortly after the incident where Syrio is "killed" by the Kingsguard (forget the name, Trant maybe?) Anywho, Sansa notes that the same kingsguard that was left with Syrio has and I paraphrase "unsually dead eyes this morning". Why would he have dead eyes? Why would Jaqen offer the coin to Arya? She didn't really do much to garner any interest in her abilities in front of Jaqen....it's not completely outlandish by any means.

Meryn Trant was the one with Syrio. Mandon Moore is the one with the dead eyes.

You know guys I once had a very long drawn out arguement about Syrio=Jaqen. I just don't buy it and don't feel like there is enough to really support it. I would not call it a crack pot theory either. I can't remember the guys name on this board (I've been gone for a while with other duties) but this guy is very passionate about. He really does do a great job of laying the ground work for it to work. R+L=J is either true or was meant for us to think it was at least. My question is this what in the books will it take to make people give up their crack pot theories? I mean some people will probably go on thinking like they think even if GRRM spells it out differently.

The most stupid thing about alot of crackpot theories, is that they are invented from the reader thinking that EVERY SINGLE WORD has some hidden meaning, and that every person in the book is there for some plot twist. They don't get that its a huge book and not everything is interrelated and I personally think it would be ridiculus and lessen the books appeal if it was like that. I like theories whther they are wrong or right as long as the evidence leads them to it, and its not people finding evidence for a crackpot idea, which is what alot of people do.

I tried to start giving awards for crackpot theories. I truly love some of crackpot ideas of some of the creative thinkers on these boards. Most of it is hogwash, but very entertaining hogwash nonetheless. I do think there are different kinds of crackpot theories - (1) those that are simply wrong and easily proved wrong (my "Magic Wire & Gorget" category named for Nighflyer's immortal theory,) (2) those that are made up out of thin air, but can't be proved one way or another, except by the application of a little common sense (my "Momma Ned" category named after the amazingly creative writing of Mad Monkey,) and (3) lastly those theories that have some textual support but can't be disprove, even though they remain highly unlikely (my "Aegon the Darkstar" category named after my own <blush> favorite little piece of crackpottery. I've got to agree with The Wolf Maid - the "Ned Stark is Alive" theory is my current favorite to be a winner in the "Magic Wire and Gorget" category.

There are, of course, many theories that get debated, such as the "R+L=J" theory, that are not crackpot in the least. They maybe wrong, but one doesn't have to suspend common sense to think them possible - the definition of what makes a theory "crackpot," in my eyes.

Any theory posted by Nightflyer. Kidding. :D

Most of those are ruled out by reason of not being real theories, just stuff NF comes up with when he's bored to see if he can get anyone to take them seriously.

Saying R+L=J is a crackpot theory is like saying the COTF are extinct. Both are laid out fairly well for the reader who pays careful attention to detail; or who came to this board, read the thread and did a re-read.

Mormont and I had a fairly extensive debate on Jaqen=Syrio a while back where we dissected the timeline very thoroughly and the conclusion was that in order for Jaqen=Syrio there would have to have been a very specific series of (very) unlikely events to have occurred in exactly the right order with exactly the right coincidences working out. Mormont considered the series of events to be too unlikely to be possible, and I wasn’t quite willing to give up.

While Jaqen might be Syrio, it is extremely unlikely that he is.

Most of those are ruled out by reason of not being real theories, just stuff NF comes up with when he's bored to see if he can get anyone to take them seriously.

You mean Nightflyer's theories are not really theories? Like a chicken that's not a chicken? (Ok, I'm spending way too much time in the GK thread).

I'm actually surprised anyone actually does. But nothing beats Ned is alive.

Littlefinger initiated the war between Robert and Aerys/Rhaegar.

This one is mine (or at the very least, I am one of the bigger supporters of the theory).

And all it states was that Littlefinger told Brandon that he saw Lyanna kidnapped by Rhaegar in the hope that Brandon would go and do something crazy and get himself killed.... like ride into KL and demand that Rhaegar "come out and die." I do not believe that LF knew he would set off a whole war.

The theory that Varys is actually littlefinger, who is in turn actually ned stark, and that ned stark wasnt actuall executed in kings landing, but was benjen was.

People actually believe this? Has it been discussed in a thread somewhere? Would make for entertaining reading, to be sure...

I'd agree with SFDanny's classification, though I'd personally place R+L=J in a category of its own, as more likely than "Aegon the Darkstar"-style ones. And I'd also award the "Magic Wire" to "Ned is alive" and "Aegon the Darstar" to its namesake, while "The Grand Tyrell Conspiracy" is my current personal favourite for the "Momma Ned" award... ;)

Btw, I noticed a poll feature is apparently available on these boards, but I haven't seen any... Is that 'cos they're only for premium users or something (a la LiveJournal) or just because people don't like polls?

Archived