Crackpot Theories... Anyone have a complete list?

The_BlauerDragon

Here's one I just made up. It is great that there is a thread now, where terrible ideas like this belong. Here goes:

The mummers dragon from Dany's prophesy isn't Aegon. It is Viserys.

The man who was crowned in molten gold by Drogo was Aegon.

Viserys and Aegon were switched when they were babies, and then Viserys was switched again with an orphan from flea bottom, who later got his head dashed against a wall by Gregor Clegane. The orphan's mother quite conveniently died in childbirth.

Aegon was taken to safety with Willem Darry, while Viserys was hidden safely by Varys.

Aegon and Viserys both had Targ features. And they were of an age, weren't they? So they could easily pass for one another.

So we can look forward to meeting Viserys in ADWD. Hopefully he is a nicer person than Aegon was.

Viserys was about 4 when Aegon was born.

N+L=J is a separate crackpot theory to the "Ned warged into Lyanna" theory. It posits that Ned and Lyanna were in an incestuous relationship and Jon is the product of their incest :).

Oh right, I thought it might've been that, but hadn't actually come across it before (being new, and all!)

I think I still prefer the "Ned warged into Lyanna" though...

While any theory can be twisted to look silly I think this post is more concerned with those that look pretty silly to begin with. I'll consider any theory if the person has thought it out well and provides at least some evidence from the book to support it. To me what kinda makes something off the wal is when someone can only gives reasons from the book as to why it may not be false. Yet has none that back up why it may be true.

More crackpot theories:

a) Benjen + Catelyn = Sansa (Catelyn was pissed off enough with Ned over Jon to seduce his brother in revenge. Benjen then joined the NW out of shame at what he had done.)

B) Brienne + Sansa. Unfortunately the events of AFfC now make this one look less likely.

The ASOIAF world is actually in a parrallel universe but due to the complications of quantum physics or something(I did not understand the several page explanation put forward by the supposed physics wizard) we believe that it is fantasy.

And Jon was produced asexually by somewoman and was found under a stone by Ned.

Westeros exists in a parallel universe and GRRM found a rift in space-time continuum that looks down onto it. He's just describing what he sees there. It took him so long to write AFFC because he needed to wait to see if something else that really needed to be included will happen, or what kind of foreshadowing to write.

Margaery and Tommen are sexually active. That's the most incredulous one I've encountered.

Well, I see it as entirely possible that she could be molesting him... Who knows, there might be something seriously off with the entire Tyrell family that has always been hidden behind all their pretty little roses...

I just came up with a new crackpot theory though... The FM aren't a church, they're actually the collections department of the Iron Bank...

Ok this reply may come a little late (or a fair bit), but to the TC: If you think R+L=J is crackpot, then I don't think you have a firm idea of the term "crackpot theory". As for it being the worse? Pffft. Yeah...its so bad despte the countless hints and pieces that fit perfectly into the theory :rolleyes: . I'm sorry but bad theories don't have like 2 in every 3 people believing it true. And even those who do not believe in R+L=J, alot do admit that it is perfectly possible and quite legit.

Most crackpot theories in my opinion. When I define something as crackpot I don't count noses first, so its a good bet these 4 are believed by a lot of people.

1. Varys little birds are mutilated small children, who leave no traces. Zero, nada.

2. Someone poisoned Joffreys wine in the banquet hall, with 1000 guests, and no one saw it.

3. LF helped poison Joffrey as a random move in the game.

4. LF is telling Sansa the god's honest truth about everything important, and he really is as great as he says he is.

I would like to add the various "Secret Targ" theories, though some of them may hold water.

I definately think the "Sandor has Super Powers" theory belongs here...

and...

Unless I read it wrong, someone just suggested that the Queen of Thorns IS Margaery...

1-3: You just love stirring shit don't you?
No need to get testy. That anger is a sign your beliefs are not as firm as you would like.
4: Only people born yesterday believe that LF is telling Sansa everything. Only people born this morning think that every word that comes out of his mouth is a lie.
I wouldn't say every word out his mouth to Sansa is a lie. I do say that every story he tells Sansa is twisted and full of lies. Always in ways that conceal his evil, and make him appear more powerful, and kinder to Sansa, than he really is. LF will say anything to Sansa to make himself attractive to her, and keep her from running away. Handsome Prince Harry the Heir is just the thing to keep her hopeful. And claiming he murdered Joffrey, and was behind her escape all along, is just the ticket to make her grateful. Every one of LF's stories has elements of truth in them, but only very small amounts.

1. Sansa would have to go public to marry Harry, which would put the Vale at war with the iron throne. Best she can hope for is that Alayne will be Harry's mistress. Harry will die anyway.

2. LF supplied the poison at Cersei's request. He didn't even know Olenna's name until Sansa let it slip. He learned Joff was dead from the bells ringing.

3. Early on Dontos told Sansa he would need to find gold and a ship to help her escape. Guess who was the "friend" he went to, who could supply both? Dontos was truly a fool, but then so was Ned, who trusted LF too. Anyway, LF implies the 10 thousand gold was Dontos reward, and before Dontos can say different, he is murdered in front of Sansa. And Sansa's escape became a kidnapping.

Thats just the kind of lying, double crossing rat bastard LF is. He's just so charming that people can't accept it though. They even think listening to LF's Joffrey story is the same as solving the murder.

No need to get testy. That anger is a sign your beliefs are not as firm as you would like. I wouldn't say every word out his mouth to Sansa is a lie. I do say that every story he tells Sansa is twisted and full of lies. Always in ways that conceal his evil, and make him appear more powerful, and kinder to Sansa, than he really is. LF will say anything to Sansa to make himself attractive to her, and keep her from running away. Handsome Prince Harry the Heir is just the thing to keep her hopeful. And claiming he murdered Joffrey, and was behind her escape all along, is just the ticket to make her grateful. Every one of LF's stories has elements of truth in them, but only very small amounts.

1. Sansa would have to go public to marry Harry, which would put the Vale at war with the iron throne. Best she can hope for is that Alayne will be Harry's mistress. Harry will die anyway.

2. LF supplied the poison at Cersei's request. He didn't even know Olenna's name until Sansa let it slip. He learned Joff was dead from the bells ringing.

3. Early on Dontos told Sansa he would need to find gold and a ship to help her escape. Guess who was the "friend" he went to, who could supply both? Dontos was truly a fool, but then so was Ned, who trusted LF too. Anyway, LF implies the 10 thousand gold was Dontos reward, and before Dontos can say different, he is murdered in front of Sansa. And Sansa's escape became a kidnapping.

Thats just the kind of lying, double crossing rat bastard LF is. He's just so charming that people can't accept it though. They even think listening to LF's Joffrey story is the same as solving the murder.

Thank you for mending that pot.

I wonder, does the theory that "Bran is to be the next Varys" belong in this list?

I am pretty sure the "Bran is the great Other" theory does...

I'm pretty certain that the theory that Varys is an Undead servant of the first men who has always been the master of wispers since before the Targ invasion certainly belongs here...

any others?

any retorts?

I wonder, does the theory that "Bran is to be the next Varys" belong in this list?

I am pretty sure the "Bran is the great Other" theory does...

I'm pretty certain that the theory that Varys is an Undead servant of the first men who has always been the master of wispers since before the Targ invasion certainly belongs here...

any others?

any retorts?

How about Varys is a telepathic were-whale?

Tywin was stuck in the privy because Varys fed him a drug?

And three of mine of mine, I'd forgotten about, (1) LF is a pirate, (2) learned his financial skills from his family in Braavos Iron Bank, and (3) Learned his dirty trick skills at the feet of his master, Tywin.

Archived