June Reading

kcf

Reading HP & the Order of the Phoenix before the movie comes out. Rowling needs an editor that has the balls to actually edit. I'm 500 pages in and feels like it's gone nowhere. Easily could have gotten all this information in about half that space, but maybe they just want kids to get a workout carrying the doorstopper around....

On deck: Quicksilver.

volume 2, Romance of the Three Kingdoms read for epicness

Phantom, Tairy, for teh laughs

Darktower:The Gunslinger badass

Try to start:Shogun

Bourne Identity

and maybe another series reread, gettin antsy for DOD

As it is the day of my birth, I just recieved two books that are up first. :smoking:

The Healthy Dead

Blood follows

A book of stories by Ring Lardner

Eye Scream by Henry Rollins

After that it is back to finding something worth reading.

I'm reading Quicksilver as well, and I have to say that book is heavy, both literally and figuratively. I have to say I am greatly enjoying the wry language and the blakc humor. Enoch wondering if young Ben didn't learn his history by the names of who was executed each year, and the introduction of Mayflower Ham "Menapause had ended a fantastically long and involved relationship with her womb..." are two moment where I remember just laughing.

Also I am in the middle of Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon and enjoying it very very much.

As it is the day of my birth, I just recieved two books that are up first. :smoking:

The Healthy Dead

Blood follows

A book of stories by Ring Lardner

Eye Scream by Henry Rollins

After that it is back to finding something worth reading.

The Healthy Dead is my favorite Erikson book. Total badass. Glad to see another reader of Rollins. I have Solipsist I need to read. Read just about everything else by him.

Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

Can't decide if I like it or not. First half was 'blah' all the way, but the second book is much better. Jury's still out, though.

The first section of Quicksilver is the worst part of the entire Baroque Cycle, in my opinion.

I'm currently working my way through Hal Duncan's Ink. The first half was mighty tough to get through (I put it down for a month at one point), but the second half is a bit better. Still, I would chalk it up as a letdown from Vellum.

Recently read and reviewed Steven Erikson's hilarious The Lees of Laughter's End.

I'm presently plowing through both David Bilsborough's The Wanderer's Tale and Weis and Hickman's Dragons of the Dwarven Depths.

After reading such good novels of late, these two are extremely lackluster. . . :thumbsdown:

Patrick

Devoured the shit out of Magic's Pawn in one go on Thursday. Was really enjoyable, but Vanyel's little emo tired me a little, and his and Tylendel's relationship moved way too fast. I did appreciate little Tylendel and Gala getting their asses killed, but I found Vanyel's super magic skeelz somewhat... skeevy. I would have liked to read about Vanyel trying to become a Bard without the Bardic gift, instead of Vanyel Super-Saiyan level 279534669235760947245. Also everyone focusing on Vanyel at the end was rather cheesy; surely there was something else for the Heralds to do other than coo over him?

I did like Jaysen, though. And the ending with that guy who was perving over Vanyel was creepy; it kind of read like slash fanfiction. Also, Vanyel and Tylendel's relationship made me throw up inside; I really cannot stand that much sickeningly happy happy love in one go. :ack:

I do have the last two books on request at the library, though. :P

Joanna: I've never heard of Magic's Pawn, and I'm not really bothered by all those spoilers personally... but you really should black those out.

just bracket the spoilers like this [*spoiler=Magic's Pawn] blah, blah, blah [*/spoiler]

but omit the *'s

About a third of the way through Rules of Ascension, book 1 of Winds of the Forelands, by David Coe.

Not so sure about this one. Unless it takes a major turn downhill, I'll finish it, but I don't know if I'll want to read more. After this I've got one more book on the shelf, then a big order to put in.

Damn hardcovers being both large and expensive.

I'm reading Shapers of Darkness right now (book 4 of this series). I find these books to be enjoyable fluff. This one is dragging just a little bit so far, but for the most part I've been able to breeze through them and have enjoyed the story. It's not a fantastic series by any stretch, but for folks looking for some disposable light fantasy, you could do worse.

I'm currently working my way through Hal Duncan's Ink. The first half was mighty tough to get through (I put it down for a month at one point), but the second half is a bit better. Still, I would chalk it up as a letdown from Vellum.

That's too bad. I have Ink waiting for me one bookshelf for when I finish my, now stalled, reread of Vellum (I am also reading the Inanna stories, and the Bacchae, and the other source material beforehand). Was it that the book was more obscure than Vellum (and is that even possible?) or was there something else that you thought brought down the quality?

I got a really good deal on new books on Amazon. I took advantage of their buy 3, get the 4th one free and their free shipping and of course no tax. I bought 4 past Hugo winners/nominees (Spin, Accelerando, and 2 by Bujold.) paperbacks. The 4 books cost a little over $20.

While I'm waiting for them to arrive, I'll read Endymion by Dan Simmons. Finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy today.

Was it that the book was more obscure than Vellum (and is that even possible?) or was there something else that you thought brought down the quality?

I don't know that I would say Ink is any more obscure than Vellum. In some ways, it's a bit more direct. Yes, each chapter features 2 or 3 plotlines going at once, all featuring variations on the same three chapters, but you can follow them reasonably easily once you're used to it.

I think my main problem is simply that all my favorite parts of Vellum were ones that centered around Phreedom and Finnan. Neither of them appears in any sort of central role until well over 100 pages into the book. And while Jack, Puck, Guy, and Joey can be entertaining, the all-boys all the time atmosphere got a little tiring.

ETA: I should add that the second half of the book ('Eastern Mourning') is a great deal better than the first half ('Hinter's Knights'). Also, the introduction chapter is great, but then it takes until the second half of the book for the Duncan to really start delivering on the promise of the opening, in my opinion.

Archived