The Worst Author of All Time

Myshkin

Who was the vanity published guy who wrote "real stories" about US Marines again? He even wrote his own very badly spelled and practically identical five-starred Amazon reviews...

Edit: and let's not forget Robert Newcomb, writer of misogynyst fetishist fantasies for teenage boys...

Edit: and let's not forget Robert Newcomb, writer of misogynyst fetishist fantasies for teenage boys...

Ah, Robert Newcome. What a douchebag. He was inspired by Tairy Goodkind.

Paolini makes Theis look good. At least Eye of Argon has a sort of cheesy enjoyment factor (if you read it properly, meaning drunk and on helium) but Eragon and Eldest just suck [insert your favorite disgusting modifiers here] without an original thought between them.

That kid who wrote Eragon and Eldest.

Gag.

Choke.

Sputter.

Thre are some awesomly bad writers out there, but I think that this kid also gets my vote as the worst I have personally read. And while I have not read the infamous Newcombe, I did read those awful SOT books up to Pillars of Creation.

Now that wasa truly rancid turd of a book, but Eragon edges it out a bit...

Who was that guy who claimed to be the youngest published science fiction author (although Asimov thrashed him in this as with all else)? The cover of his first book looked like a badly-drawn dragon with a sword, and he claimed to be bringing string theory to the masses, or some such. Not that I've actually read his work, but I thought this guy deserved a mention.

I havn't read Eragon or Eldest, I have Eragon but just never sat down to read it. I also borred Wizards First Rule from a friend of mine who recomended it, saying the entire series was good...havn't read that one either actually, got side tracked reading The Gunslinger, and am finally starting Game of Thrones in the morning most likely.

I havn't really read any majorly bad authors, but if I had to chose, I would probably nominate Terry Brooks based soley on the Shanara books being boring as hell, most of what happened in Sword of Shanara could have been cut and still had a good book, probably better book actually, I made it through that book though, and Elfstones, but when I got to Elfsong, I just couldn't take it anymore. First king was ok, but by the time I actually got around to reading it, I was so burned out on Brooks that I couldn't finish it and just kind of walked off...I might go back to it when I'm looking for something new to read.

The Space Ark site is just sad. The guy's got an overly nice rejection letter from an agency in his "reviews" section. I'm guessing they had an intern there who read it and saw enough good in it to write back something nice to the guy. I spent one year working for a book agent and occassionally we did that...very occasionally. We often had interns who didn't have much taste or experience yet and who thought some really bad work was decent. Otherwise I can't imagine anyone at an agency liking that stuff.

I have always found it hard to hate on the Eye of Argon guy, he was only 16 when he wrote the thing and compared to stuff I remember people writing in high school (and even college) it's surprisingly better than a lot of it (and I was at a college that supposedly specialized in writers - one guy two years older than me just won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama...)

I saw stuff come into the agency I worked for that was far, far worse than either of these two - completed novels of all types. In some cases the people were actually certifiably insane, so it's hard to put them down too much for their writing problems (they seriously probably needed treatment of some kind) but most of the time the writers were simply bad - really, really bad. The worst were people who clearly barely knew english but were trying to write an english language novel even though it was there 2nd or 3rd language. What posesses some people to do these things I don't know.

That would be this guy. A true classic.

I had never heard of this guy, but I love the review that says you can either pay the ridiculous price for this book or give the money to someone else to repeatedly hit you int he face with a blunt object.

There it is!

I'm not sure about the worst author....almost anyone who writes crap romantic fiction. There is a whole genre that needs some help. ETA: Nicholas Sparks. Gag. Drippy sugar sweet. Bleah. Can't stomach that guy at all.

Chris Claremont. He may be The Worst, but he's close. Seriously, try to read one of his books - it's impossible.

his early xmen was and still is seminal work as well as the best that the xmen has ever been. other than that, i agree that he is pretty bad.

paolini has multiple mentions *yells at shoes*

goodkind was mentioned, too. he's the worst i remember reading; especially post "faith of the fallen". this lets you know, that to my eternal shame, i've read that far in the SOT sequence.

Archived