Fallout 3

GoldLeader

As we all know Fallout and Fallout 2 are the best RPG's ever. Period. The Bethesda (creators of oblivion & morrowind) are making the 3rd, and they've shown us the teaser.

And thank god, they didn't screw anything up THIS far. (Well, they've got Ron Perlman for starters...)

So, what do you think Fallout 3 is going to be like, and will it be just as good as the first two parts? Just please - without any rpgcodexer style rudeness.

That song is a very famous oldie. It's a good song.

This is a very early teaser - the game's not scheduled to come out until Fall 2008! That's a long, long way off.

Any word if they are going isometric/overhead view, like the old games or will they be doing something more in the Oblivion style? I suppose they might let you scroll in and out with the mouse-wheel to get both kinds of views. I only ever played Fallout 1, actually. When 2 came out my old machine was not up to the task (it was having a lot of problems). I do love the setting, though. It brings a different element to the RPG arena. I think the only ones I can think of that really were in this type of setting are this game and Wasteland, the old, old, old Origin game.

I'll repeat what you're gonna hear here and what was already stated in the very recent Fallout 3 thread we already had. (aka, search function in the future)

Bethesda:

They make bland, lifeless rpg's that look amazing but offer little depth. They cater them to every demographic and as such, the more mature humor, biting wit, aka...'the edge' that fallout 1-2 had will be neutered.

Platform:

They're developing the game for a multi-platform release, meaning the controls, content, and game itself will be oversimplified to cater to the fickle, unsophisticated interests of console gamers.

Trailer:

In a world where Halo and FF sequels can give us kickass cinematic trailers months/years before release, its pretty shitty that all Fallout can give us is a fade back landscape show with some music.

Myself, I don't know whether they're being needlessly pessimistic or whether Bethesda really is the touch of death. Personally, I initially enjoyed Morrowind, but it got old VERY quickly. It annoyed me that nearly every NPC in this vast, pretty world of theres gave stock answers to every question. It got old. Got even older sifting through this behemoth of a game world for the one or two who actually say something you need to hear. Never finished the game. Remember almost nothing of the storyline and almost none of the characters. Vast with little depth. I've never played Oblivion.

Though I do hope that neither of those games will be representative of the product we can expect. I have extremely fond memories of playing Fallout and I'd REALLY hate to see it ruined.

EHK, I understand your problems with Morrowind - I had them too (and they were the same problems I had with Daggerfall, too). That being said, I'm playing Oblivion right now and it is MUCH better in this regard. I would not say that characters you meet have as much to say storywise as those in, say, Ultima VII did (or Ultimate VI, for that matter), but they don't overwhelm you with a mountain of identical empty characters to sift through and in each town you go to there are quite a few who are quest givers or are involved in one quest or another. It might even be that some of the characters I've met who had little to say might be involved with other quests I simply haven't gotten to yet (I just don't know). But there is definitely more of a sense of meat to it than I got with Morrowind. Also, I find the controls easier to deal with (fighting is much better) and of course it's another generation better in terms of graphics. I've already played it longer than I played Morrowind and I'm not even close to being bored yet.

Bethesda simply has had no history of delivering a character/plot driven rpg on par with Fallout, just because you buy the name and the setting doesn't make it a true sequel in my eyes.

I'll keep an open mind but right now I have no expecations that this is in anyway a sequel to the Falllout series. This is one game where I will wait for the reviews.

I couldn't get on with earlier Bethesda games. Daggerfall had a great setting and the freedom in the game was staggering, but the quests were repetitive and the game bugged to hell and back. Morrowind was very, very brown. I remember some great archiecture and the non-traditional-medieval setting was impressive, but above all I remember the browness of the game. I also remember that if you tried to follow the main storyline for more than one quest at a time, you'd die horribly as the game would expect you to level up about five times between each quest. Oblivion is a much stupider game on some levels (the whole-world-levelling-up thing is retarded), but at least it's more user-friendly.

Bethesda make reasonable RPGs but are absolutely nowhere near the level of BioWare/Black Isle/Obsidian in quality.

Wow, and here I thought everyone liked Bethesda games and I was the odd one out; I totally couldn't get into Morrowind despite several attempts.

That said, I don't understand all the Fallout 3 bashing. I really enjoyed the first two games and I'm excited for this sequel. I think Bethesda have a better chance of getting it right than say the makers of the awful Brotherhood of Steel game for the PS2/Xbox - I just hope this game allows you to take followers along on your quest... I find RPG's with companion NPCs a lot better than the RPGs where your character goes it alone.

Wait, you say you didn't enjoy previous bethesda games, yet you are confident that the same company can make a good fallout 3?

I'm willing to give them a chance before I bash the game - I do think game companies learn from the mistakes and triumphs of their past efforts. Also, my dislike of Bethesda games is going off playing Morrowind alone - I've yet to play Oblivion for any significant length of time.

One thing that worries me is the PC AND console release; RPGs that have done this haven't been all that enjoyable by me in the past, and I'm not a fan of Bethesda to begin with.

But it's fallout, so I have hope.

RPG's are either console RPG's or PC RPG's. trying to be both fustrates the PC gamer becuase there isn't enough options, and the console gamer becuase... wait console gamers are always fustrated :P

RPG's are either console RPG's or PC RPG's. trying to be both fustrates the PC gamer becuase there isn't enough options, and the console gamer becuase... wait console gamers are always fustrated :P

I say it reminds console gamers they don't have a good enough PC. At any rate, anything that Bethseda makes is shit, in the sense that all they can do is make a relatively pretty sandbox, and generally lack content. Take Oblivion, for example - there was no coherent thread to the story, in particular with the world leveling up with you angle. Moreover, skills and class and 'choice' essentially had no effect on the game, since you could, for example, become an archmage without any ability re: magic.

for those who are still in denial and think that fallout 3 is going to be isometric, let me direct you to this quote:

IGNPC: Can we expect something similar to the work done on Morrowind, in terms of that style of game experience?

Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/529/529773p1.html

I love my job.

They will probabily screw up the game.

The only good thing about Oblivion and Morrowind is the visuals. And without mods, the game is just unplayable.

No characters, no story, no quests, no change to the world whatsoever depending on your quests.

BTW, Ultima 7 had more characters and story to it than Oblivion or Morrowind.

What is funny is that Bethesda is proud of making the "biggest" RPG games, yet that barely have 4 or 5 noticeable npc´s. And they are special because they say one or two funny lines.

That's exactly my concern, what made Fallout special wasn't just the setting, but the great story, memorable characters, and fun gameplay.

With the non-isometric view thing and probably real-time combat, they've already taken away the gameplay, and nothing Bethesda has ever done would indicate that they have any clue how to write great stories or create great characters.

I'm expecting basically Oblivion in a post apolcalypic setting, which is fine for Obvilion fans, but will have little appeal IMO to the fans of the original FO series.

It's as if after making Godfather 1 and 2, somebody decided to make Godfather 3, but with Michael Bey.

I'm not bashing it, and I am willing to take a wait and see attitude, but I am decidedly not optimistic.

Archived