The metal thread

sio

I caught Mastodon on Letterman last week performing a song from Crack the Skye. While I have the album it never really caught me, but I really liked the song they played when I saw it on Letterman (though the vocals sucked), so I'm going to give it another try.

Been listening to the new Candlemass album, Death Magic Doom, and it is magnificent. I have to say that Candlemass has performed one of the greatest comebacks in metal. Their first four albums were excellent, then they went through a period better forgotten and were thought dead. Then they came back a few years ago with their self-titled, then King of the Grey Islands, and now Death Magic Doom as a third killer album in a row. Robert Lowe is once against excellent, and this time the material was actually written for his voice so it is even better.

Also, I decided that after how much I loved Grand Magus' album from last year that I had to check out their back catalog. If a mixture of traditional doom and heavy metal sounds good then you'll love Grand Magus.

KoWS -- yeah, Crack the Skye is totally prog. Way proggier than any of their other albums. I realize that I never gave a review of the Kylesa/Mastodon show that Mr. X and I attended earlier in the month.

Kylesa -- lots of fun and the two drummers sound great live. At the end of the set, only they were left on stage for 3 or 4 minutes of drum-kit mayhem.

Mastodon -- Crack the Skye improves as a live performance. As my trainer (who is also a metalhead) remarked, "a lot of pills went into that album." The drug-fueled haze that most definitely surrounds it is cut significantly in concert, and brings a dynamism to the proceedings that is mostly absent on the recorded version. Mastodon played the album straight through and, like TL said, there are songs (or parts of songs) on there that are pretty damned awesome. After CtS was finished, they took an intermission, then came back for a reverse-chronological tour through their back catalog. 5 songs from Blood Mountain (I really like that album). 3-4 songs from Leviathan. 1 track from Remission. It was fucking epic, but it also underscored the relative drugged-out lethargy of this latest album. I dunno, I'm still not sold, but I have a much greater appreciation of the album now and can approach it on its own terms.

Thor -- we have quite a few Amon Amarth fans who occasionally visit this thread. I haven't them lately, though.

Finally -- Candlemass. Their last two efforts have been great (I've been spending time with their earliest albums lately, too). I need to check out Grand Magus.

Stuff I've been listening to: female-fronted death metal. from turkey. argentina. ukraine. and all point beyond. there's a blog whose entire conceit is shedding light on female-fronted metal and hardcore bands, and I've found a lot of good demos and links there. one that I've been liking (solid melodic death metal) is 1000 Odios.

there's a blog whose entire conceit is shedding light on female-fronted metal and hardcore bands, and I've found a lot of good demos and links there.

Mind giving a link? I've been on the same sort of kick lately, just picked up Diablo Swing Orchestra's Butcher's Ballroom, fun stuff.

I wast listening to 1 max 2 bands at a time for most of my life. I started with Iron Maiden, then moved to Linking Park and SOAD, and then went back to the irons. I've been searching for new bands since than. I enjoyed Astral Doors and I still think Astralism is a great album. I listened to Machine Men but then dropped them, because they are too bland.Then I discovered Communic, who are my favorites. All of their three albums are great, there is only one song I don't like (first on the third album). I started listening to Iced Earth a year ago (only Barlow's stuff, his voice is the only good thing about them). I've found out about Nevermore, Slough Feg, Diablo swing orchestra and Candlemass thanks to this thread. All of them are good suggestions.

Kylesa -- lots of fun and the two drummers sound great live. At the end of the set, only they were left on stage for 3 or 4 minutes of drum-kit mayhem.

They are awsome live.

Finally -- Candlemass. Their last two efforts have been great (I've been spending time with their earliest albums lately, too). I need to check out Grand Magus.

I have the latest but still need to give it a whirl.

Stuff I've been listening to: female-fronted death metal. from turkey. argentina. ukraine. and all point beyond. there's a blog whose entire conceit is shedding light on female-fronted metal and hardcore bands, and I've found a lot of good demos and links there. one that I've been liking (solid melodic death metal) is 1000 Odios.

Ah. A major fetish of mine. There are a shitload of great female fronted metal bands out there.

Some I'm into lately:

Thorr's Hammer

Pyrotoxic

Girlschool

Detente

Mind giving a link? I've been on the same sort of kick lately, just picked up Diablo Swing Orchestra's Butcher's Ballroom, fun stuff.

Nice!!

The link will have to wait until I'm home again, because it's bookmarked there, but not here at work. I'm so STOKED to see that others share my enthusiasm for female-fronted metal bands! :thumbsup: Woohoo!

Then I discovered Communic, who are my favorites. All of their three albums are great, there is only one song I don't like (first on the third album). I started listening to Iced Earth a year ago (only Barlow's stuff, his voice is the only good thing about them). I've found out about Nevermore, Slough Feg, Diablo swing orchestra and Candlemass thanks to this thread. All of them are good suggestions.

I discovered Communic a couple of months ago. I only have one album, but damn, is it fun! As for the rest, so glad that these threads are helping people (myself included in this) find quality metal. :grouphug: <--- least metal smiley we have on the boards, but fuck it! :lol:

saint777 -- thanks for the tips! I've heard Thorr's Hammer and Girlschool, but not the other two. At least, I don't think I've heard the other two...

Saw Danish Manticora few days ago,great musicians...mix of progressive & power metal with thrashy and melodic riffs.Really good and,imho,underrated band.

Checked them out. They were actually quite good. I'll have to listen to a bit more now. Thanks for the tip.

I believe no-one has mentioned Old Mans Child, norwegian black metal somewhat similar to Dimmu on Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, but better. I'd particularily recommend the album The Pagan Prosperity.

They are among my favourites, along with Dimmu, Enslaved, Borknagar, Emperor, Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Opeth and Ulver.

A note about Ulver: I'm surprised that some of you north american people have discovered this (imo) fantastic band, be sure to check out their later works like Perdition City and especially Blood Inside, which really aren't metal in any sense, but still too good to miss (again, imo).

i'm sure i forgot some there, but all of them have been mentioned already.

I believe no-one has mentioned Old Mans Child, norwegian black metal somewhat similar to Dimmu on Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, but better. I'd particularily recommend the album The Pagan Prosperity.

They are among my favourites, along with Dimmu, Enslaved, Borknagar, Emperor, Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Opeth and Ulver.

A note about Ulver: I'm surprised that some of you north american people have discovered this (imo) fantastic band, be sure to check out their later works like Perdition City and especially Blood Inside, which really aren't metal in any sense, but still too good to miss (again, imo).

i'm sure i forgot some there, but all of them have been mentioned already.

I'm a dedicated fan of their latest album as well, Shadows of the Sun. Ah hell, who am I kidding? I'm a total Garm fangirl. I've been listening to Borknagar (Garm era, not Vortex or Vintersorg era, although I dig those guys, too, especially Vintersorg's solo stuff) a lot lately. And I'm totally fucking broken that I missed Opeth and Enslaved last Monday. My friend said the show ruled fiercely. Me, I'm waiting for Enslaved to headline their own tour here. :)

I'm not one for genre purity -- I leave that for the 15-year-old Watain fans. Ulver used black metal as a stepping stone -- hell, their first and third albums are black metal -- for further experimentation and exploration, and that's good enough for me. Black metal itself has proven to be very fertile ground for experimentation, all around -- Negura Bunget is a far cry from Mayhem, and yet...still black metal (although one could argue it's folk metal). :)

Archived