The metal thread

sio

Greetings. I am of the opinion that any board without a metal thread is sadly lacking, so I decided to create one. What subgenres/bands do you listen to the most? I listen to power, symphonic and gothic, for the most part. Battlelore is excellent, as are Nightwish, Within Temptation, Blind Guardian, For My Pain and Sirenia. I don't listen to death or black at all, but some of the folk I've heard is excellent.

Bands im mostly listening to at the moment are Killswitch Engage(um metal core lol), Hatebreed(hardcore), Bring Me The Horizon(deathcore), Parkway Drive(hardcore/metal), The Black Dahlia Murder(death metal) and Avenged Sevenfold. The sub-genres Ive put in brackets don't really mean much to me(e.g death core which is a mix of death metal and metalcore haha) but they are terms i've seen thrown about for these bands.

Woooo! A METAL THREAD!!! \m/

I have, at some point, listened to most genres of metal and liked at least something of what I heard. However, I do of course have my favorites. I love metal that is epic.....especially a lot of Viking Metal, which can come from almost any genre, and I love Folk metal (mainly because I already love folk music so add metal into the mix and you have perfect music! lol). Once and a while I can take some black metal in the mix, especially if it has Viking metal themes (aka Bathory, Enslaved, etc). I have a soft spot in my heart for classic heavy metal, cheesy 80´s power metal, and more recent power metal too. :D One of my avorite bands plays really amazing prog-metal. I have even liked some doom metal that I´ve heard, but I can´t really listen to it on a regular basis. Basically, I like metal with at least some 'crunch' .....for instance, I´ve tried listening to Rhapsody (excuse me, Rhapsody of Fire), but just haven´t been able to to find the metal in there. :rolleyes: I´m also not a big fan of newer 'metalcore' stuff....though I suppose I can see its appeal to some, it just doesn´t tickle my pickle. I guess I just like my good old-fashioned metal. :P

The bands I listen to include (but ar e not limited to) the following:

Iron Maiden

Black Sabbath (especially Dio-era Sabbath....be still my heart!)

Led Zeppelin (whether or not it counts as metal, I don´t know)

Deep Purple

Rainbow (yes, early Dio-era Rainbow counts as metal!)

DIO (sense a pattern? ;) )

TYR

Pain of Salvation

Opeth

Agalloch

Amon Amarth

Kamelot

Epica

Blind Guardian

Ensiferum

Wintersun

Moonsorrow

Bathory

Elvenking

Symphony X

Zero Hour

Savatage

Saxon

Manowar

Helloween

Danzig

Solitude Aeturnus

Enslaved,

I.E.

Nightwish

Sonata Arctica,

Summoning (ok, maybe not really metal....?)

Korpiklaani

Turisas

Finntroll

Borknagar

Falkenbach

Battlelore

Oh and I almost forgot....some early Metallica, I guess. :P

I'd say Summoning is metal - symphonic metal, but still metal :)

The Europeans have, hands down, the world's best metal, and I find that almost all of my favorites are Finnish, for some reason. Anyone else experienced this?

Iron Maiden

I'm gonna catch serious shit for this but I don't care for this band. Tried to get into them when I was young(11-12) and still can't get into them now. They are not terrible but they just don't do it for me.

Black Sabbath (especially Dio-era Sabbath....be still my heart!)

I love the Ozzy era more. Definitely the gateway to all the other metal and punk bands I would grow to love.

Led Zeppelin (whether or not it counts as metal, I don´t know)

Love Zep. I have a clear favorite song by them too: For Your Life off of Presence.

Deep Purple

I like the early stuff. Demon's Eye etc..

DIO

I was over my friends house(It was in 83 so I was around 10 at the time) and he had just bought two vinyl records. Holy Diver by DIO and Pyromania by Def Lepard. I played Pyromania first and thought "Meh it's alright". Then I played Holy Diver. I was in Heaven. Everything I was looking for but couldn't find in Pyromania was right there in Holy Diver. There were two paths available two me and I chose only one. The path of Def Lepard and future hair/glam bands or the path of DIO. I chose the path of DIO

Opeth

Could never get into this band because of the cookie monster vocals. I can handle Filth's ballless shrieks but there is something about cookie monster vocals that make me cringe.

Queensryche

Another band I don't like.

Danzig

Love everything by this guy. Misfits, Samhain, Danzig. I need to pick up his new lost tracks double disc that came out in May. Can't find it anywhere though.

Metallica

Love them up to and including And Justice for All....

Technically, we have more than one metal thread on the board (discussions of a single band that branched out), but whatevs.

Definitely a fan, although I get picky/pissy about my bands, and while actual talent is a bonus, sometimes the belly laugh is treasured more (see my mini-rave about the glorious absurdity of 3IB in the Dragonforce thread).

Also:

Amon Amarth => if one could bottle "generic Nordic metal," then these guys would have bought a 24-pack. Generally not a fan, although it'll do in a pinch. BUT

Nihil Nocturne => metal equivalent of those annoying, wanky, mopey, broke, Steve Albini-worshipping mid-20s mofo's recording shit in a moldy basement (and whose music I'd despise if they made, say, indie rock). A refreshing break from the clinical sound that's all-pervasive in metal.

Totally enjoying, for the cheese factor, bands like Scar Symmetry and Killswitch Engage. Musically (vocals and instruments), it's like Pantera meets the WB's emo-shitfest "Friday Night Lights" and "Smallville" wailing angst. You sit there listening and think, "OMFG, there's an entire subgenre of metal built around this overwrought Jekyll/Hyde pathos?" But you also can't stop giggling, and it makes the music fun, and some of those songs really do crunch when they need to, so you pick your fave 2 off of any given album and then trash the rest. :lol:

Also unearthed a band called Agiel, whose name I love because I am a vicious Lemming of Discord. But gods, are they bad.

As for things I just like (with no caveats): Opeth, Finntroll, Sepultura, Anaal Nathrakh, Tristania, Bolt Thrower...and about a zillion more I'm forgetting right now. :thumbsup:

I'd say Summoning is metal - symphonic metal, but still metal :)

The Europeans have, hands down, the world's best metal, and I find that almost all of my favorites are Finnish, for some reason. Anyone else experienced this?

I too agree about the deliciousness of Finnish metal. I don´t know why, but most of my favs end up being Finnish too.

Oh and saint, no worries if you don´t like Maiden. I´m not going to go all rabid-fangirl on you. ;)

Yes! A metal thread. I mainly listen to three genres within metal: Thrash metal, power metal, and NWOBHM/traditional (though I do listen to some death, through bands such as Atheist, Possessed and Death, as well as some progressive, such as Symphony X, Fates Warning and others). My favourite ten bands from each genre:

Thrash:

Overkill

Kreator

Sodom

Holy Terror

Heathen

Dark Angel

Mekong Delta

Shah

Megadeth

Sabbat (UK)

NWOBHM/Traditional:

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Cloven Hoof

Satan

W.A.S.P.

Savatage

Angel Witch

Queensryche

Metal Church

Saxon

Power:

Blind Guardian

Manticora

Kamelot

Virgin Steele

Lost Horizon

Helloween

Helstar

Gamma Ray

Stratovarius

Wuthering Heights

Top 5 probably goes something like this:

1. Judas Priest: who are my ultimate metal band. Amazing albums all over their career, from Sad Wings of Destiny and Stained Class to Defenders of the Faith to Painkiller, the ultimate speed metal album. I never get tired of these guys.

2. Overkill: One of the more consistent 80s thrash bands- even their duds are just average albums instead of sucking (bar Relix IV). And oh man, those first five albums.. Particularly The Years of Decay and Horrorscope are thrashings of the highest order.

3. Blind Guardian. The pinnacle of power metal- whether in their early speed metal offerings or their recent bombastic completely over the top Queen like take on metal.

4. Manticora- The most underrated power metal band out there. Lars Larson has a unique and amazing voice, the guitars are thrashy and melodious, and the band is excellent at creating dark atmosphere- something which can be hard to find among many power metal bands, who seem to take all their cues from Helloween and contribute little to no originality.

5. Iron Maiden/Mekong Delta: The ultimate NWOBHM band vs. the ultimate tech thrash band. Impossible to decide.

4. Manticora

I've recently started listening to Therion, and their newest album Gothic Kaballah is the most intelligent musical piece in the genre of metal I've ever heard. It Can be described as symphonic, although it's not gothic metal, so the album title is confusing.

Wintersun is also one of my newest bands. I consider them extreme power metal, because their music is a mix of Folk, Power, and Black. Their self titled is probably one of the best albums to come out in awhile.

Blind Guardian has been my favorite band in the genre for awhile now, but their most recent album was a bit of a disappointment. I suppose it would be hard to produce an album as great as ANatO.

Oh, almost forgot. Another band I've just discovered (with help from the GameFAQS metal board, great metal board by the way) is Sigh, a Japanese Black Metal band. Although their earlier stuff is pure Black, their newer material can be described Avant-Garde. I started with their newest album, Hangman's Hymn, which was almost perfect.

Has anyone heard Ice Earth's Overture of the Wicked EP? The new single is decent, but I'm not so sure about the trilogy. The Ripper needs to put more emotion into his vocals. It's also hard to get used to the down tuned guitar, although it makes the bass more distinguishable. The producer seriously needs to put Ripper's voice higher up on the mix on the line "I am your Anti-Christ!" I was so underwhelmed at that part.

I mostly prefer older metal bands - I haven't heard much (if anything) recently that I care for except perhaps Slipknot who I think are enormously talented and have some simply killer songs. Unlike a lot of the new stuff, they don't rely solely on the grind-core style grunting which I mostly can't stand. When their lead vocalist actually sings he's got a pretty fantastic voice. The contrast between the grind-core stuff and traditional singing works very well for them.

I never listened to much speed metal but I respect it a lot. Having played drums for many years, I can tell you what those guys do is VERY hard.

Some Olde Tyme Heavy Metal that I like :P :

- Led Zepplin - one of my five favorite bands of all time, Bonham is my drumming god and back when I played I sounded a lot like him. He infused my soul. I could write for ten pages about the greatness of this band and why John Bonham is the most perfect rock drummer ever but I'll spare you guys.

- Metallica - the apotheosis of what a metal band should be, IMO. Zepplin is greater but these guys are pure metal where Zepp can be as much folk-rockers as they are metal.

- Black Sabbath (and some of Ozzie's early solo-work)

- Deep Purple - helped define the genre, classic songs.

- Soundgarden - 1/2 way between Alternative and Metal, a lot of heavy Zep influence in there for sure.

- Iron Maiden - I appreciate the more literary nature of a lot of their songs.

- Megadeath - respect their work a lot, though honestly I never listened to them much.

- Anthrax - (see note for Megadeath)

- Scorpions - the only 80's hair band that I thought was really very good. I don't think I heard a song by them from that era that I didn't like.

There's some work here and there that I do like from several of the 80's hair bands like Ratt, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot and I liked Pyromania by Def Lepard but nothing else they ever did. But mostly I think that era is a wasteland for music.

I'm sure there's others but I can't think of them right now.

I grew up listening to Industrial metal bands such as Fear Factory, Ministry, and KMFDM along with more mainstream indstrial acts like Nine Inch Nails, Gravity Kills, and Stabbing Westward.

Then, I moved into the realm of melodic death metal/Gothenburg metal with bands like Soilwork, In Flames, and Hypocrisy (to a lesser extent).

Nowdays, I listen to a lot of Cult of Luna (atmospheric hardcore), Agalloch (pagan metal), Pain of Salvation (progressive metal/rock), and Amorphis.

Yay, another Pain of Salvation fan!!! :D

and speaking of metal....

I am soo incredibly excited....I just bought tickets to see Heaven and Hell (with Iced Earth) this November in the UK! :D :D :D

and speaking of metal....

I am soo incredibly excited....I just bought tickets to see Heaven and Hell (with Iced Earth) this November in the UK! :D :D :D

Thats awesome.. I'm pissed I missed my chance to see them. IMO, Dio and Tony Martin Sabbath destroys Ozzy Sabbath in about every way possible- the only Ozzy Sabbath album I listen to consistently is Sabotage. And Iced Earth is great live... Especially with Ripper, who is one of the greatest and most underrated metal vocalists out there. Hope that they play lots of Stormrider and Burnt Offerings for you.

Pain of Salvation slays, 'nuff said.

Also, I agree with the majority of the bands in the list you posted earlier. However, I personally have never really gotten into earlier metal bands like Dio (although his cameo in 'Pick of Destiny' was priceless) or Sabbath, etc...

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm very much into doom metal like Katatonia, Anathema (even their new stuff which is more just proggy rock), November's Doom, and Rapture.

Also, Sentenced (may they rest in peace).

Pain of Salvation slays, 'nuff said.

Also, I agree with the majority of the bands in the list you posted earlier. However, I personally have never really gotten into earlier metal bands like Dio (although his cameo in 'Pick of Destiny' was priceless) or Sabbath, etc...

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm very much into doom metal like Katatonia, Anathema (even their new stuff which is more just proggy rock), November's Doom, and Rapture.

Also, Sentenced (may they rest in peace).

Well, Dio is my hero.....even though I´m a girl I have a huge man-crush on him. Don´t ask me how that´s possible.... :stunned:

Oh....how could I forget about Sentenced. (Yet another Finnish band....hmm.) I had a lot of fun listening to them. I know 'fun' and 'sentenced' is like an oxymoron, but hey...there ya go. :smoking:

I´ve only recently gotten into some doomy stuff....Solitude Aeturnus comes to mind.....but I haven´t really listened to all that much. I´m usually either happily listening to upbeat epic power metal, or raging to some energetic-yet-brutal Viking metal. Mmm. :D

Archived