The metal thread

sio

X-Ray: Pick up When the Kite Strings Pop by Acid Bath. One of my top ten favorite metal albums. What I love about this record is how the songs start off bluesy with a jam rock style. Track 3 starts to throw in punk. Then you get to track 5 and go "Is this from the same band? They got heavier than shit!" Lots of variety on this record with a couple mellow acoustic tracks and some blistering balls out metal thrashers. Play it at kids parties. They'll love it.

For Strapping Young Lad I recommend SYL, City, and their latest The New Black. This band is essentially a much faster and heavier version of Ministry during their Land of Rape and Honey days. Really crazy and fun.

For Children of Bodom you can't go wrong with any of these: Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper and Hate Crew Deathroll.

Pick up Time Will Fuse It's Worth from Kylesa. My favorite metal record from 2006.

I follow you. Watched Lordi as a warm up act for Nightwish.

It was before anyone had heard about them.

There stageshow was HAWT.

Was that because of all the fire? ;)

I really like Lordi and would love to see them live - currently no UK dates :( I like bands that don't take themselves too seriously.

Past bands that I liked but never followed past the early nineties cos I went into music hibernation for a long time...

Whitesnake

Blue Oyster Cult

Saxon

Helloween

That's all I can remember... I'm an old woman now and my memory is truly shocking :P

For Strapping Young Lad I recommend SYL, City, and their latest The New Black. This band is essentially a much faster and heavier version of Ministry during their Land of Rape and Honey days. Really crazy and fun.

Saw these at the end of last year supporting Arch Enemy. They were amazing.

Saint -- thanks for the tips. I will write up more on some of the other bands on my list, but work is a bit hectic at the mo. :)

One question I have of metal fans -- what kind of trends are you noticing in the metal scene wrt the music? Also, are there regional differences or a particular "sound" to a city? (this was very apparent in indie rock in the 1990s before that genre became popular. Chicago bands had one sound where Kansas City bands had another, and SF Bay Area bands yet another.)

Saint -- thanks for the tips. I will write up more on some of the other bands on my list, but work is a bit hectic at the mo. :)

One question I have of metal fans -- what kind of trends are you noticing in the metal scene wrt the music? Also, are there regional differences or a particular "sound" to a city? (this was very apparent in indie rock in the 1990s before that genre became popular. Chicago bands had one sound where Kansas City bands had another, and SF Bay Area bands yet another.)

I know a lot more about 80s metal than I do about modern (though I am very much into the modern power metal scene and whatever modern thrash I can find), but I can say that there are certainly regional trends. In the 80s, the thrash scene was mainly divided in three: You had bay area thrash, which had a much more NWOBHM sound , New York thrash, which was based more on punk, and German thrash, which strayed into the foundations of death and black metal. There were exceptions in each scene, of course, but on the whole it seems a fair generalization. At the moment, there are many regionalized metal trends- Brazil has been having its thrash resurgence, the Scandinavian countries, since the beginning of the Gothenburg movement, have been mainly focusing on melodic death, and therefore a more power metallish sound with harsher vocals. There has also been the split between American power metal and European power metal, with the latter generally being much more happy and symphonic as pioneered by Helloween while the former is heavier, darker and thrashier (once again, there are exceptions- Manticora from Denmark sounds much more like an American power band than a European one). Then there is also the relatively new metalcore scene, arising particularly in Boston with bands like Overcast that turned into Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage, which do have a distinct sound from say, New York metalcore like All Out War.

Now, I know I rambled a lot there, but my conclusion is essentially that most metal trends are region based- though the trends seem to be able to function at municipal, federal and continental levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Several things.

Enjoying the new Rotting Christ. If you never heard of these Greeks. Get past the name and enjoy some great metal. They do not worship Satan, but they do scare new Christian Dave Mustaine (If you don't know the story it is kind of funny).

If anyone has heard the new Metallica song? It seems they areGoing for a punk sound Doesn't do it for me.

Brahm covered some of the more major regional variances. Obviously Norway is known for "true" black metal more so than other places. Overall the only trend I've noticed recently are a preponderance of bands that seem like they are trying to be "metal" because it is perceived as "cool" and really have no appreciation for the history or depth of the genre. They just want to be heavy and scream shit. They are normally characterized by a stage show that is a lot of jumping around like stupid alt. rockers. I was watching a bit of Headbanger's Ball earlier tonight and had to turn it off in disgust as what constitutes the metal scene for the majority of people these days.

Metalcore is the second coming of nu-metal, and it stinks to high hell.

Lamb of God is on the acceptable side of metalcore. They are definitely not death metal like some teenagers who've never heard real death metal might say. I've never really understood much of the fuss about them, I thought they were middling at best.

And sadly, metalcore is not dead. It seems there are more and more bands all the time. Nothing makes me sadder than when I say I listen to metal and some kid says "yeah, me too" and lists crappy metalcore bands. It means they think I listen to that crap and that they have no idea what I mean when I say metal. It also sucks when people who don't like metal have only been exposed to that crap and then judge me based on that crap.

I'm sounding like a huge music snob now, which I might be a bit. But I'm just really defensive about my metal.

It also sucks when people who don't like metal have only been exposed to that crap and then judge me based on that crap.

I'm sounding like a huge music snob now, which I might be a bit. But I'm just really defensive about my metal.

Well, yes and no. This argument reminds me of the Great Punk Wars of the last two decades when the utterly craptacular pop-punk rose to the fore. I've been through that (and 4 or 5 other genre-purity-related throwdowns, including a couple obnoxious sexism-tinged rants about girls and "real punk"), and endured the inane arguments on both sides of the fence (for the record, I despise pop-punk and its ilk, but it also kept a lot of struggling labels afloat to put out way more interesting fare as a sideline).

I guess I'd just counter with this: why do you care if some ignorant pinhead judges you? It's their loss for missing out on some great music, not yours. Let the kids love their metalcore -- as long as they buy records, Roadrunner and other labels have the cash to discover and release other rippin' metal. Win-win.

ETA: Not meaning to pick on you TL, just offering some food for thought.

Well, yes and no. This argument reminds me of the Great Punk Wars of the last two decades when the utterly craptacular pop-punk rose to the fore. I've been through that (and 4 or 5 other genre-purity-related throwdowns, including a couple obnoxious sexism-tinged rants about girls and "real punk"), and endured the inane arguments on both sides of the fence (for the record, I despise pop-punk and its ilk, but it also kept a lot of struggling labels afloat to put out way more interesting fare as a sideline).

I guess I'd just counter with this: why do you care if some ignorant pinhead judges you? It's their loss for missing out on some great music, not yours. Let the kids love their metalcore -- as long as they buy records, Roadrunner and other labels have the cash to discover and release other rippin' metal. Win-win.

ETA: Not meaning to pick on you TL, just offering some food for thought.

I agree with you, but just to correct you on one point: Roadrunner never signs rippin' metal, and when they do, the band turns to shit. Really, its a proven fact.

I fear new music. All the music I listen to is stuff from when I was 7 and the stuff my dad likes (Ozzie, Peppers, Police, anything hot during the 80's and early 90's)

So no "true" metal for me. But I do like this, because I grew up with that game.

No clue if it's metalcore, death metal, ect, but my mom gets worried when I put it on. Once the bass made a table collapse. Never put flimsy tables near speakers larger than it.

Xray,

When I talk about people judging me, it isn't so much the randoms that I meet that bother me with their judging, I really don't care about the majority of people. But I've had way too many friends give me an "oh..." when they find out what type of music I listen to, and I can see the re-evaluation of me going on behind their eyes. That's not to say they'd enjoy listening to metal if they knew it based on bands like Burzum and Mayhem, but at least then I could discuss rationally why I like it without them already having a preformed and incorrect notion of what this music is that I listen to.

Foderz,

I listened to a couple of songs from that website, and I'd list them under the very vague genre of progressive metal with a bend towards power metal. On second thought, it also is reminiscent of New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Overall, metal has too many genres and things are too hard to classify in many cases.

Archived