WoW

RaceBannon42

Well, strange as it may be, I went all the way to 70 w/o ever doing any battlegrounds. I did quite a few this weekend. I learned two things. First I suck at PvP. Second, I liked it a lot. Really fun. I think I did a lot better in AV than AB or WSG, its a much more PvE Battleground. Gonna try the eye tonight if I can't get in some of the instances I need.

Heck, I didn't do any low-level PVP myself, it just didn't interest me much. But I did do enough once I hit 70 to get the reward mount. It was ok, but I guess I just didn't really enjoy it since I've not been back.

At low-levels I've heard that it's dominated by twinks though, so maybe it's not worth doing.

I think 39 and 49 BG's are the most fun part of WoW. If you have friends to do it with that is. It's far less easy to twink than either spectrum, though the breadth of equipment available for 70's as opposed to what was there for 60's makes high level pvp probably comparable.

Got my ring. Last of the blue items I want.

The group was very impressed when I said I needed to pick up my resist gear for Mana Tombs. As it turns out, they had previously wiped repeatedly to kill the first two pulls (2 mobs each). I wiped us there once, because I managed to pull all four at once by accident. And we still got 3 and probably would have gotten all four if I had popped a potion or last stand, or maybe even a trinket. Lost track of my health and didn't notice that it was critical.

Sadly, we couldn't get Shaffar down. But in the end, I don't care too much. I have my new ring, and all looks good. Stupid Shaffar is just... stupid.

Two days of doing all Ogri'la quests and I'll be exalted. Then I just need to rustle people up to get 3 more crystals and I'll have the bow. I'll actually try that tonight; I want to get the crossbow for Thursday and really boost my threat.

Current gear: Mauriac of Argent Dawn

Wait, what resist gear do you need for Mana tombs? Shadow on the first boss? I can see that I guess.... a bad healer can't heal through that and even a good heler can;t if the tank is slow with the escape button.

Shaffar is easy if you have a lot of DPS for the adds, impossible if you don't.

That last boss, the summonable one.....is cake, absolute cake.

Well I'm not cut out for PvP. I completed the week 0-10 in 2v2 arena. :P

I also keep getting pwned in battlegrounds. I hate rogues.

Did a buttload of farming this weekend. Got my leatherworking up to 372.. only 3 more to go. Everything is yellow, so I'm hoping 5 clefthoof boots will be enough. Thats only 100 clefthoof leathers, and only 300 bulls to kill. sigh.

I've never bought any leathers before.. maybe I'll have to.

I also rolled up a mage. Got him to level 16. He's a lot of fun, but I keep trying to cast heal on myself when my health gets low. :P

Hardly played over the weekend.

For heroic Mana Tombs, I wear full shadow resist on Pandemonius. Why not? Armor means nothing on the guy, and having cranked SR really cuts down on the damage the guy does. Frankly, the sort of damage he does on heroic is enough to make it rough on a good healer even not counting the 1,500 reflection shield. Hitting for 4k is bad, though I see a note that his damage has now been nerfed.

I tend to do the same on any shadow elemental / demon, sometimes even the trash mobs.

On Shaffar, some Fire and Frost can help to reduce the damage he does; I've never been in a group that could keep up with the rate the adds spawned and also dps Shaffar, so cutting down on the healer burden isn't a bad thing. But I think on that fight it's the dps more than the tank that matters. The adds spawn at a pretty ridiculous rate.

Shaffer doesn't exist for us in Heroics, we always feign surprise when we meet him in regular when helping out alts.

Were slowly but surely getting our way to our first gruul kill, last week we got him to 27% this week 19% (All the melee apart from Kharnu our bear had died when Evilbull the MT had bit it after a shatter and not quick enough healing at 36%, last of us went down at 32%) ranged managed to nuke him to that point, but hopefully we'll get him. Didn't help that one of our mages kept misunderstaning shatter and ran consistently onto one of our resto shammie.

Got to have a go at Prince on Thursday, tankage gear needs one or two upgrades to properly manage him, we mainly failed due to the fact that in stage 2 an infernal fell near me and I thought I was out of its range but couldn't really tell due to the flurry of damage that was coming in (Plus I had miss clicked last stand instead of shield slam earlier ><) But if all goes well we should get him and netherspite down this week.

Well I'm not cut out for PvP. I completed the week 0-10 in 2v2 arena. :P

I also keep getting pwned in battlegrounds. I hate rogues.

PVP is tough, especially as a newish 70 undergeared. We did 3v3 last night (Liryn, Slurk and myself) and went 4-6. That doesn't tell the whole story though. On my shaman we went 1-4. On my warrior we went 3-2. Liryn and Slurk did all 10 on their priest/pally. Fact is as a shaman in a 3v3 I'm just not that useful. I can do totems, I can give heroism, but there isn't much else I can do as a sole dps'er in a 3 man crew. The one game we won was actually our second in a row versus the same team. They were shaman, pallie and rogue. Their pallie was squishy and I manged to burst him down pretty fast on the time we beat him. But on at least 2 of our losses I just ran plum out of mana. And an elemental shaman with no mana is completely and utterly useless.

I take it Race you're still enhancement. That's going to be rough 2v2, especially with how easy it is to kite a shaman for most ranged classes. It might work with a Ret Pally if you can get some good WF synergy going and he cleanses your snares. Or a warrior for a gib setup. Really one of the main reasons I switched from enhancement to elemental was because how bad I knew PVP was going to be.

However warrior on the 3v3 was night and day. We won 2 games by just outlasting them. One against 2 shamans and a rogue (or possibly mage) was fun because I just kept beating on this shaman, reapplying MS and snaring him. Eventually we just ran them out of mana. Slurk heals and Liryn heals and mana burns. But with shaman there is just little hope of outlasting people.

Elemental shaman does work better in 2v2 with a priest though. Gibbing becomes much more possible. And we have more tactics with heroism. We can go for mana burn or we can go for trying to blow them up. Shaman really works better on 5v5, where you're not being focus fired and can actually do more support. 3v3 was depressing since even though I was doing huge dmg with chain lightnings/etc shaman dmg is still easily healable.

PVP is tough, especially as a newish 70 undergeared. We did 3v3 last night (Liryn, Slurk and myself) and went 4-6. That doesn't tell the whole story though. On my shaman we went 1-4. On my warrior we went 3-2. Liryn and Slurk did all 10 on their priest/pally. Fact is as a shaman in a 3v3 I'm just not that useful. I can do totems, I can give heroism, but there isn't much else I can do as a sole dps'er in a 3 man crew. The one game we won was actually our second in a row versus the same team. They were shaman, pallie and rogue. Their pallie was squishy and I manged to burst him down pretty fast on the time we beat him. But on at least 2 of our losses I just ran plum out of mana. And an elemental shaman with no mana is completely and utterly useless.

I take it Race you're still enhancement. That's going to be rough 2v2, especially with how easy it is to kite a shaman for most ranged classes. It might work with a Ret Pally if you can get some good WF synergy going and he cleanses your snares. Or a warrior for a gib setup. Really one of the main reasons I switched from enhancement to elemental was because how bad I knew PVP was going to be.

However warrior on the 3v3 was night and day. We won 2 games by just outlasting them. One against 2 shamans and a rogue (or possibly mage) was fun because I just kept beating on this shaman, reapplying MS and snaring him. Eventually we just ran them out of mana. Slurk heals and Liryn heals and mana burns. But with shaman there is just little hope of outlasting people.

Elemental shaman does work better in 2v2 with a priest though. Gibbing becomes much more possible. And we have more tactics with heroism. We can go for mana burn or we can go for trying to blow them up. Shaman really works better on 5v5, where you're not being focus fired and can actually do more support. 3v3 was depressing since even though I was doing huge dmg with chain lightnings/etc shaman dmg is still easily healable.

*sigh* yup, :(

Well its not all doom and gloom. For one I'm pretty undergeared. Barely 550 dmg. Push that up to 750 (which I'll get once I get some upgrades) and it would work much better. Also if our 3v3 team was a burst team it would work great being a shaman. But we're not a burst team. I'm playing with a holy priest and a prot pallie. Even with my warrior we still aren't a burst team. However we are a very good team for wearing someone down, especially since a warrior can lock someone down much better than a shaman. Plus Mortal Strike is what allows us to outheal them.

Now if our team was lets say, shadow priest, elemental shaman, warlock then that would work much better. I'd drop totem of wrath, we'd dot everything to hell with heroism casts and then we'd instagib a target with NS/EM Chain Lightning, Earth shock, mind blast, SWD, shadowburn, etc. So I disagree with you Tobin in that shamans are bad. Its just that here my spec and setup has bad synergy with my teammates. Which is the case for a lot of classes. Probably the only 3 classes who can say they have good synergy with anyone are MS warriors, holy Paladins and Frost Mages. If we really wanted to excel with that trio of classes, then Slurk would have to go from Prot to Holy, me from Elemental to Resto and Liryn could stay as holy or not, either would work as long as she had improved mana burn and improved mass dispel.

Plus in 5v5 shamans are very optimal due to their great group buffs, heroism/bloodlust and the fact that they're pretty certain to be left alone while squishier targets are being beat on.

PVE been having a lot of fun. I dominate damage meters now and can easily pull agro off tanks. I just shudder to think what will happen when I get another 200 spell dmg and 150 spell crit rating. (heck getting to LC exalted will get me 104 more spell dmg than I have now) It will be ridiculous as well as helping with my mana regen through more crits. As well 3 of the upgrades I'm gunning for have substantial MP5. Plus with tons of dmg/spell crit I'm a solid secondary healer with chain heals and such. And good thing is shamans continue to scale well. I've seen WWS (basically a stat tool for analyzing raid dps) which has elemental shamans being top 5 dps in fights in Black Temple and Mount Hyjal.

Add in there that shamans are very preferred for 5v5 pvp and such and I'm not too unhappy. Just that they're not optimal for 3v3. And well thats in comparison to a warrior. Warriors are Blizz's chosen child, so thats not a shock. :P

Well, I'm not really going in expecting to kick ass, I'd just like to not die inside of 10 seconds. :) Typically I go in, get either feared or sapped, and I get maybe one swing off before I'm dead.

Oh well, im undergeared and not specced for PvP, im just doing in for the free epics.

I liked the 3 rogue team we played :P We tend to do fairly well against all-DPS teams. I need more resilience though! Next up: learn how to use line of sight and positioning tricks to our advantage. I'm not very good at that yet.

Did lots of battlegrounds (mostly EotS) this weekend too. Either I am getting less squishy or (gasp) actually better at PVP or else I just ran into some bad players yesterday, because I managed to stay alive all by myself for at least 3 minutes while a warlock and shaman both tried to kill me. Finally some reinforcements arrived, but I was just laughing at that point because I couldn't figure out why I was still alive. I think they had a felhunter and a fire elemental out too. There is really no way I should have survived that!

I got my tailoring to 375 and made my Primal Mooncloth set, woo! Enchanting is being stupid - I am mostly stuck at 358 because whenever I advertise enchants on the trade channel I only attract noobs who want Crusader or 7 int on bracers or something instead of my actual orange or yellow recipes. And by noobs I really mean noobs - it takes them forever to figure out which enchant they want, get my "YOUR MATS ONLY" statement through their heads, the fact that they cannot afford the mats for 12 stamina at level 35, etc.

Anyway. Yeah. Oh, we got Kara keyed too, but no plans to do anything about that yet :P Maybe we will try some heroics soon, I know someone who is dying to get a few nethers...

Bleh - I'm trying to keep myself talked out of coming back, Ara - you're not helping, :P .

I'm hip deep in Overlord at the moment, so it staves off the temptation a little while longer...

Growing bored with content. Heroics aren't a challenge anymore, and there simply aren't any more upgrades pre-raid. (And I'm having little luck with raid drops)

Thinking of rolling another toon.

Bleh - I'm trying to keep myself talked out of coming back, Ara - you're not helping, :P .

I'm hip deep in Overlord at the moment, so it staves off the temptation a little while longer...

How is Overlord, by the way?

I decimated the clefthoof population of Nagrand last night. As a result I got my LW up to 375. Made Ebon Netherscale Bracers. My first crafted Epic. Woot! I feel Imba. Only took 5-10,000 gold worth of mats to get there I'm sure. :P

Now its time to get keyed for heroics so I can get the nethers for the rest of the set. Well that and farm the remaining 28 primal fires and shadows I need. :/

Archived