More MLB

Jaxom 1974

The All-Star game is Tuesday. I haven't seen a ticket for sale for under $500 in some time.

Ive been to an ASG and a Derby (not the epic Milwaukee-Culmination-of-Steriod-Era Derby) the COmiskey Park one, and did not really find it that cool. I wouldnt want to do it again. 500 bucks is waaay too much for something like that.

I would pay around 150 bucks to see this years derby, with Howard, Fielder, Bonds and Griffey it should be cool (so long as the Kid and Bonds show up).

I read today that Ichiro has announced he will not take part in the Home Run Derby. :stunned: Was he even considered? What's he got, 5 on the year?

Wait - here's the statement.

"Jul 4 The Seattle Times reports Seattle Mariners OF Ichiro Suzuki declined to take part in the Home Run Derby, saying he didn't believe AT&T Park could help lefties like himself hit the ball. Suzuki said he'd likely take part in a derby if it was in Seattle."

Why in the world would he be in a position to "decline"? Someone refresh my memory - has he ever been a part of the Home Run Derby?

Why in the world would he be in a position to "decline"? Someone refresh my memory - has he ever been a part of the Home Run Derby?

Ichiro wouldnt do that bad. Hes a slapper but he shows power on occasion, its there. If he geared up he could show well in a derby.

Ichiro wouldnt do that bad. Hes a slapper but he shows power on occasion, its there. If he geared up he could show well in a derby.

You could be right - BP home runs are different than real-game HR. I also wasn't really trying to bust on the guy because I like him as a player, but since the power game isn't his forte, I would've never considered that he'd be in the HRD lineup to begin with. Which begs the question, how does the HRD lineup get chosen?

I believe it has something to do with the change to the "Country vs. Country" style format they started a couple seasons ago to highlight the WBC. Ichiro would be the first choice to particpate since he's actually at the game. If they're doing this still and they need a Japanese player now, you might see Matsui or Imawura or Iguchi or someone get asked to participate in the Derby.

I read today that Ichiro has announced he will not take part in the Home Run Derby. :stunned: Was he even considered? What's he got, 5 on the year?

Wait - here's the statement.

"Jul 4 The Seattle Times reports Seattle Mariners OF Ichiro Suzuki declined to take part in the Home Run Derby, saying he didn't believe AT&T Park could help lefties like himself hit the ball. Suzuki said he'd likely take part in a derby if it was in Seattle."

Root or Jesus or whatever he calls himself would no better, but I remember reading somewhere that Ichiro regularly hits huge HRs in Batting Practice and was going to compete a few years back in the HR Derby. He's not a HR hitter, but supposedly in batting practice he used to put on shows.

I have to think Peavy starts now for the NL next Tuesday. Penny got roughed up last night and has a blister problem with his index finger on his pitching hand (makes me wonder if Penny might skip the ASG altogether). He said the finger didn't affect him last night, so I guess we'll just have to see.

So Young and that Japanese reliever from Boston got named as the extra players. And they added Oswalt to replace someone on the NL team...

I'm really starting to think that this is going to be a pitcher's All Star game that comes down to one or two runs in the end.

Dude, let's not go there. Let's just see what happens and hope for the best.

You have to love Kerry. One of my favorite Cubs ever. Im pulling hard for him, not just to help the team, I think God owes him 100 injury free innings.

You have to love Kerry. One of my favorite Cubs ever. Im pulling hard for him, not just to help the team, I think God deserves to give him 100 injury free innings.

And I don't disagree. He's one of my favorites too. Watching that game in '98 against the Astros was a thing of beauty. But I prefer to lt him heal and get back with the "out of sight, out of mind" approach. If he doesn't think there's pressure, there won't be and he can pitch until his arm truly falls off.

Did anybody catch Lou's casual mention that he doesnt know how to use a computer?

Meanwhile, Lou Piniella said he’d vote for Zambrano. The only problem is he doesn’t know how to operate a computer.

"If I have to vote on that computer, I think Zambrano is in trouble," Piniella said. "I've never voted on a computer in my life. Can I call it in?"

This is touching on a bit of old news but I just wanted to see what other people's thoughts were on this...

Earlier in the season AJ Pierzynski was chastised and yelled at for stepping on the left side of first base, a very dangerous place to stomp as it is right near the first baseman's (Mourneau in this case) achilles. Now, I am not saying that A-Rod intentional did anything wrong, yet..but how/why exactly did he collide with Mourneau? The angles that I have seen don't show Mourneau jumping back over the bag, he seems to be off it to the left (if only a tiny bit off or on the left side of it). So why does A-Rod make any contact with him? Am I seeing it wrong and Mourneau does come across into the baseline? Just curious

So, Chicago, you've got a nice little run going, you're up against the very beatable Pirates, and you're closing in on first place. All you need is for your heretofore steady workhorse pitcher to give another solid outing, in games that are starting to matter.

But wait. You don't know why, but he's suddenly decided to abandon his best pitches and throw high fastballs. The ball is flying out of the ballpark. Keep the ball down! you shout at the screen. But your guy knows that's not the problem. He just needs to "concentrate" and focus on "making his pitches". The longballs start to get in his head, though, and he starts tweaking his delivery. He just needs it to "feel right." He can't explain what's different. Throw the ball down! you plead, but he can't hear you through the screen. Soon, he can't get a ground ball to save his life. The manager doesn't know what to do with him, and decides to use him as a pintch hitter. That just messes with his head even more. He's flaking out, but he's still proud and so he gets sulky when his spot in the rotation is skipped. Soon, he's hanging posters of Rick Ankiel above his bed.

It's my pleasure to introduce you to the real Jason Marquis. Enjoy. :P

Soon, he's hanging posters of Rick Ankiel above his bed.

Lemme save Jaxom some time: Brutal, juice!

ETA: Hey look, the San Diego Chicken is still around. God, I want to punch him.

Archived