The Redemption of Jaime Lannister

The Pita

If Dany ever sits in judgement of Jaime and he tells her about the wildfire plot, she'll believe him. That doesn't mean that she'll forgive or pardon him, but it may save him from the headsman's block. He could be given a suicide mission of some sort, or ordered to take the black.

i don't think jaime will ever explain why he killed aherys: he is too proud to do something

like this (brienne was an exeption).

i think there are two possible situations:

a)dany will land before the others' invasion, jaime will probably dye

b)dany lands when the others attack the north, jaime has a chance to save house lannister

and/or redeem himself in front of all westeros

In response to the idea about Dany. A lot of people have said that it would be pretty interesting if Dany found Jaime seated on the Iron Throne, with Cersei's dead body underneath it. I would love that scene.

I would LOVE to see this scene. I've been hoping for this since the first time I saw it suggested on the forums.

The only reason that Dany might forgive him is because she finds out what a madman Aerys truly was. But I don't think that's in her, and I don't think that Barristan will advise that either.

But she didn't bat an eye as her insane brother was executed. And he didn't have the power to put an entire city at risk, the was Aerys did. I think she would have agreed with Jaime's reasons if she had been there too and seen her father's madness.

If Dany ever sits in judgement of Jaime and he tells her about the wildfire plot, she'll believe him. That doesn't mean that she'll forgive or pardon him, but it may save him from the headsman's block. He could be given a suicide mission of some sort

I could see her doing that.

Why is Tyrion doomed?

I haven't seen that anywhere.

Kinslayer...cursed by man and God.

Our kinslayers don't always have a way of dying.

See Gregor.

Being a zombie disqualifies him from death.

And yes, Gregor is a kinslayer.

Apparently a horrible accident happened to his little sister and his father died while hunting.

See Stannis.

See a lot of characters.

Kinslayers do not always die.

It's just a saying, because noone likes the guy who killed his father.

I don't think Tyrion is doomed any time soon.

And Jaime would never take the black. He will be executed, but still, I don't think his death will have much to do with Dany.

Does anyone else believe that Jaime, at this point, would make the best king? He truly has the intelligence and cunning of both his father and tyrion, though he is just now realizing it. In addition, he has two traits that would make him a better man then Tywin ever was, he is beginning to learn compassion, and he inspires men to follow him. This gives him an edge over both Tywin and Tyrion, who had to scare men into following or bribe them, respectively.

I'm not saying its going to happen, but...just a thought. :drunk:

See Gregor. Being a zombie disqualifies him from death.

He's dead. Gregor is dead. He's been replaced with something else, a necromancer's dream. He's not Gregor Clegane anymore. He's a Frankenstein or more accurately to use the parlance of this board, Gregorlem or Qyborg.

See Stannis.

Destined to be the Night King and then die. I don't think Stannis will have a happy ending.

And if we count Stark and Karstark - Robb's dead isn't he?

To me it seems really implausible that Daenerys would reconcile with Jaime. Even if she buys his excuses completely, Jaime still killed her father and king. Allowing him to get away with it, sets are really unneccesary, strange, and extremely dangerous precedent. The Westerosi will expect and want her to bring him to justice and honour her father, it's just political reality.

But anyway Dany wont kill him. Jaime will die in some spectacular purposeful way.

• 4 years later...

I can definately see the argument for Jaime's death while trying to redeem himself.

However, Martin is an incredibly unpredictable in his writing. No one thought that Jaime would try to redeem himself when we first started reading about him in Storm. Maybe I just don't want him to die but in Martin's world, I can't just write off anybody because it seems like that's the way it's going. Martin despises cliches remember.

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure Jaime is even truly redeemed. I mean after his 'transformation' he's a good guy, but without a major action, can his throwing a kid out a window be excused? He does regret it and I know it was a spur of the moment thing, etc etc, but still. I personally like him a lot, just wanting some opinions as one of my friends doesn't think so.

edit-just realized how old this topic was. not expecting an answer.

He's not a good guy now. He still contemplates, in the midst of his supposed "redemption," launching a baby with a trebuchet. He makes this threat quite seriously, knowing he'd have to carry it out if his bluff were called and quite apparently prepared to do so.

He breaks his oath not to take up arms against the Starks or Tullys and tries to use a weasly technicality to tell himself he isn't when he clearly is.

I'm not seeing much change here. He'd still throw an innocent child from a window ... or a trebuchet. He's still scum.

Archived