College Football 2007

S John

It's nice to have a thread with football in the title that isn't about...soccer. Even the Fantasy Football thread was about...soccer...jeesh.

Anyway...

LSU is going to be riiiiidiculous this year. Best D in the country hands down.

To quote Keith Jackson......Whooooaaaaa Nellie! VT's defense has been the top in the country for two years running - and there's no indication there will be a letdown this year. You can't just take that crown - you have to earn it. Guess we'll see on September 8...though I will admit I'm worried about our O-line.

I still want a renewal of the VT / WVU rivalry... that got really heated in the most recent few meetings.

I wouldn't mind seeing that, but it's not gonna happen for 6 - 8 years at the earliest. Both schools have their schedules filled up that far in advance, and I think there's a desire to let things cool down bit. As you say, it got heated - too heated in some respects. Now that the Big East doesn't seem to be quite on it's deathbed, maybe some of that hatred has dissipated.

I'm still not convinced that Big East will remain an elite level conference. There is a massive dropoff in finances compared to the other BCS conferences. As for the teams themselves - we'll see how WVU does after White and Slayton leave, we'll see how Louisville does without Petrino, I can't be the only one who thinks Rutgers had one magic year and we'll go back to being a 3 - 4 win team - and none of the rest of the teams has shown anything to convince me that they'll be competing for anything more than the motor city bowl.

Now as for the Virginia Tech outlook -

With all due respect to the LSU fans - as I mentioned above, VT has had the best D in the country for two years running (first time a team has done that since the '80s Oklahoma teams, I *think*) - and I don't see that changing. VT has the best LB corps, and the best secondary in the nation. The D-line will see the most change from last year, but should still be very very good. Not to mention Bud Foster, who I think is hands down the best defensive coordinator in the county. The one "gotcha" will be injuries (knock on wood) - depth may be an issue.

Now the flip side of the ball - well, not as good. VT finished in the 90's in total offense last year. Ouch. But we still won 10 games, and there's not much room to go but up. We have one of the top running backs in the country in Brandon Ore, and we have the best corps of wide receivers that we've ever seen at Tech. But we've been saying that about this group of receivers for 4 years now - we have 4 seniors, and they've probably been underutilized. Some of that is because there's so many of them (how do they all get a lot of touches) - some of it has been due to being unsettled at QB. I would have liked to seen this group of receivers with Marcus Vick throwing to them (note - I'm glad he (Vick) was kicked off the team, I'm just irritated that it screwed up our QB flow - no more Vick talk, about either one of them in this post!)

Anyway, as far as offense - that leaves O-line and QB. This has been a neverending debate between Tech fans this offseason - were our QB struggles last year due to the QB, or the O-line. The truth is - probably both. Things out of Blacksburg indicate considerable improvement in both areas - but news in the offseason is always rosy. So, we'll see.

I'm afraid special teams might cost us a game, as we're breaking in a new kicker and punter.

Now - there's one giant thing hanging over this season. And that's the events of April 16. People are looking forward to football season to have a chance to cheer and be part of something of positive again. It's going to be a weird season - because the shootings are going to be mentioned on every single broadcast of a Tech game, and it's going to be on everyone's minds the whole time. Heck, Gameday is coming to our first game (against East Carolina). There's much better games happening that day - why are the coming? 4/16. Will our team be booed or cheered in opposing stadiums? Will we boo or cheer opposing teams in our stadium (there's a continuing gratefulness to the outpouring or support from other universities)? Will the team take pride in helping to return a sense of joy and normalcy to campus - or is that too much to ask for college kids playing football - and will they crack under unrealistic expectations? It's gonna be an odd season, I think.....

The Pac 10 should be very deep this year. It's USC, a giant cluster of teams, then Washington and Stanford.

Arizona- Returning a very good defense, offense is uncertain though as they had a nearly non-existant running game, and Tuitama needs to start realizing his potential.

Arizona State- With the arrival of Erickson this is a mystery team to me. It hinges on which Rudy Carpenter shows up, if it's the one from last year then the Sun Devils will be in for a long season. Ryan Torain impressed me when I saw him last year.

Cal- We have perhaps the best WR corp in the nation. I'd like to see a more consistent Longshore, and a defense that's capable of putting pressure on the opposing QB. I'm not a big fan of our bend but don't break philosophy on D.

Oregon- Honestly don't know much about them. Lots of talent returning this year. Dixon needs

to gain more composure.

Oregon State- These guys could easily finish 2nd if they get solid play out of their QB. Return playmakers Bernard and Stroughter. It seems like Alexis Serna has been there forever. I'm glad we get them in Berkeley this year.

Stanford- Jim Harbaugh's done a lot of talking since arriving on campus. I just don't see it this year.

UCLA- They have some really talented players on offense. A lot of people are hyping up their defense. I'm not so sure, after holding USC to 9 they gave up 44 to an average Florida State team.

USC- They only get one game to figure out their running game and who their go to receivers will be until having to go out to Nebraska. The good news is that this is Pete Carroll's fastest and probably best defense he's had since arriving at USC.

Washington- Husky fans are excited about frosh Jake Locker, but expect another down year. People are losing patience with Willingham.

Washington State- Don't know a whole lot about them either. Alex Brink is a solid QB.

Predictions:

BCS Championship- Michigan over Texas

Heisman- Chad Henne

Bednarik- Dan Connor

O'Brien- Colt Brennan

Walker- Darren McFadden

Biletnikoff- Mario Manningham

And on a side note, I certainly don't envy Notre Dame's schedule:

Georgia Tech

@Penn State

@Michigan

Michigan State

@Purdue

@UCLA

Boston College

USC

Navy

Air Force

Duke

@Stanford

Well well well, is that grumbling I hear about Michigan already? That's OK, I forgive you all because we all enjoy the best league in the best sport in all the world.

This should be a pretty exciting year for the Maize and Blue. I can't wait for the games against OSU, Penn State, Wisky, and another waxing of Notre Dame. Not to mention seeing Juice Williams, A. Benn, and Kirk Ferentz's latest squad.

I can't recall a more top-heavy, wide open Big-10 this year.

Wisconsin: Most returning starters on a previously 1-loss team. They should have a decent defense, but they really need to find a running mate for Hill, and a QB who can get the ball to Beckum in stride.

OSU: Lost their whole offense, but defense should be very good, and the road to the Big-10 title still goes through these guys. Especially since Michigan is favored to win the league this year and we've struggled against OSU as of late.

PSU: Best back-7 in the league, and perhaps the whole nation(no, seriously). With a typical Penn State defense if the offense can get even 21 points on the board consistently, that should be good enough to go at least 11-1.

Michigan: Best offense, but defense needs some work. I'm not worried about our front 7, but our secondary really scares me.

Also, stop by on week 2 when Oregon rolls into town. The world will get to see the best and worst uniforms in College Football on the same field!

Michigan is so keen to beat on the Bucks that they won't keep their minds on their weekly bidness & they get upset at Illinois. This is the year the Illini get back in the game (or I throw myself down a well).

Just don't crawl out of my TV, OK?

Predictions:

BCS Championship- Michigan over Texas

Heisman- Chad Henne

Biletnikoff- Mario Manningham

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It's going to be fun seeing Mario go up against some of the top corners in the nation. Justin King, Malcom Jenkins, Jake Ikegwuono, Vontae Davis, etc etc. And the only thing about Henne's Heisman hopes is that we have a very good stable of running backs.

What will we learn?

SEC is still the deepest conference in the country.

Top of Pac 10 and Big 12 should do well.

Big 10 is still overrated and now we can see how faux Wisconsin is. Omg the Big 10 actually plays a decent team from another conference not named ND. Oregon is so uneven though that UM should put them down.

What we don't know?

How good will the ACC be this year. Will the florida schools rebound?

Can the Big East follow up on its strong prior season,. I think they can with the players the top 3 teams are returning, plus South Florida and Pitt are improving.

It's nice to have a thread with football in the title that isn't about...soccer. Even the Fantasy Football thread was about...soccer...jeesh.

With all due respect to the LSU fans - as I mentioned above, VT has had the best D in the country for two years running (first time a team has done that since the '80s Oklahoma teams, I *think*) - and I don't see that changing. VT has the best LB corps, and the best secondary in the nation. The D-line will see the most change from last year, but should still be very very good.

Not to pick on VT here, this goes for all such statements made by fans of any team. As a general, rule nobody plays a large enough cross section of teams across the country, to make a statement like this meaningful. The OSU and Michigan looked great all year until they played great teams outside their region. This, I think, all goes to Arakasi's main point about teams not playing enough games against quality opponents in other conferences.

I see the usual love for the WAC is flowing in this thread :P

UH is going to make a hard run at a BCS bid this year. They're getting pimped a little too hard in some publications I've read, which worries me some, but with Colt back and a fairly soft schedule, we could be this year's Boise State.

Go Warriors! Colt for Heisman! Who's with me?

Yah, thought I'd be the only one.

I'm afraid special teams might cost us a game, as we're breaking in a new kicker and punter.

Not a statement you hear much about a Frank Beamer football team.

Well, I think we've been riding our special teams reputation a little bit in recent years. Specifically, the notoriety of blocking kicks. Other teams caught on a little bit. In any case, I don't think the kick blocking or return game will be down this year - mostly I'm worried about who will be kicking field goals. The guy that left, Brandon Pace, was one of the most accurate kickers in the country, and in the history of VT.

Not to pick on VT here, this goes for all such statements made by fans of any team. As a general, rule nobody plays a large enough cross section of teams across the country, to make a statement like this meaningful.

What?!?! Completely subjective claims in a sports thread?!?! Hehehe...point taken - but I can only point to two years running of VT's defense ending the season as the #1 overall defense, and knowing that not much has changed...and that gives me good vibes.

hey podnuh, we'll settle this one on the field... September 8 5:45 PM CST Tiger Stadium Baton Rouge Louisiana temperature approx 90 degrees

Well, I'm not sure what game you'll be at since the VT-LSU game starts at 8:15 PM CST - but I guess it's better to be early rather than late. :thumbsup: And clearly you've never been to Virginia during the summer - 90 degrees and massive humidity is par for the course...

have fun scoring

Same to you, my friend...same to you. Brand new starting QB against the VT defense.... :drool:

Did they move the start time? Hmm... 8:15 is even better! I guess that will nullify some of the heat, but it'll give us another 2 hours of drinking. Are you coming to the game? If so then be prepared for the loudest stadium in the country.

How good will the ACC be this year. Will the florida schools rebound?

I'm very interested to see how well FSU does this year. Jimbo Fisher is a good OC and an excellent QB coach. The Seminoles will always have a good defense, but have been flounering offensively since Mark Richt left way back in 2000. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that Fisher's presence brings Bobby and co. an ACC championship. And if they do then Jimbo is the next head football coach at FSU in 2010.

I guess that will nullify some of the heat, but it'll give us another 2 hours of drinking. Are you coming to the game? If so then be prepared for the loudest stadium in the country.

HokieStone, he's not lying. I've been to a few stadiums and the only one that may be on par with Tiger Stadium in decibel level is The Swamp. It's because they're built so tall. The noise has no place to go but up. Oh, and an absolutely crazy fanbase doesn't hurt as well.

I expect Bryant-Denny will start to compete in terms of noise level too now that they've completed expansion. I'm really hoping to get tickets to the UA-LSU game. Its a shame its not at Tiger Stadium this year, it would be great to have Saban come back to LSU in his first season with Bama. I've heard there were something like 40,000 away ticket requests from LSU season ticket holders, which is like 3 times the previous LSU record. I may be able to score tickets through the ol' network, we'll see. In any event I expect Bama is a couple years away from competing at the top of the conference.

Big 10 is still overrated and now we can see how faux Wisconsin is. Omg the Big 10 actually plays a decent team from another conference not named ND. Oregon is so uneven though that UM should put them down.

Ah yes, the season hasn't even started and Arakasi is doing his usual tirade on the Big-10. I hate arguing with ppl who lack logic and common sense. Panning the B10 is fine. It's blind, 10-year-old-like crying and complaining thats the bad part.

So what if the Big-10 plays ND a lot? A decent team is a decent team, even if they're horribly overrated as an elite team year after year. And uh, did you not see OSU play Texas, Michigan play Vanderbilt(who beat a bunch of SEC teams the year before), Minney at Cal??? Not to mention 4 teams played ND?

And Wisky beat Arky and ran hogwild through Auburn the year before.

So Arkasi, you going for a repeast of last years College Football threads where everybody decided a brick wall would provide more intelligent conversation?

Arkansas was a very uneven team last year. Sure they had a good defence and a great running game but they had no QB. The situation over there on that front was pretty much all screwed up. It still might be.

mcfadden and jones will definitely win some games for them, but i expect them to fall back in the pack such as they were before last year.

mcfadden is a freakin' monster. that will be their saving grace in having a winning season. its starting to look more and more like nutt should've taken the nebraska job.

Ah yes, the season hasn't even started and Arakasi is doing his usual tirade on the Big-10. I hate arguing with ppl who lack logic and common sense. Panning the B10 is fine. It's blind, 10-year old like crying and complaining thats the bad part.

So what if the Big-10 plays ND a lot? A decent team is a decent team, even if they're horribly overrated as an elite team year after year. And uh, did you not see OSU play Texas, Michigan play Vanderbilt(who beat a bunch of SEC teams the year before), Minney at Cal??? Not to mention 4 teams played ND?

And Wisky beat Arky and ran hogwild through Auburn the year before.

After last years threads about College Football where everybody decided a brick wall would provide more intelligent conversation, aren't you tired of making foolish arguments?

thats half the fun, maizey. its like trying to argue with someone about the big 10 being the best conference when everyone and their mother knows that statement is very far from the truth. considering the fact that the pac 10 will most likely be much improved this year, it makes an argument like that almost ludicrous :P

Archived