College Football 2007

S John

Another year, another joke non-conference schedule from the SEC

32 home games

8 road games (includes 2 that are virtual 'neutral-site' - GA @ Gtech, LSU @ Tulane)

Gators

--------

Western KY

Troy

Flo Atl

Fl State

=========

Vols

--------

@ California

So Miss

Arkansas State

Louisiana-Laf

=========

G. Bulldogs

---------

OK State

Western Carolina

Troy

@ Ga. Tech

=========

Tide

---------

Western Car

@ Florida State

Houston

Lousiana-Monroe

=========

Razorbacks

----------

Troy

North Texas

Chattanooga

Florida Intl

=========

A. Tigers

---------

Kansas State

South Florida

New Mexico State

Tennessee Tech

==========

M Bulldogs

-----------

@ Tulane

Gardner-Webb

UAB

@ West Virginia

==========

Rebels

--------

@ Memphis

Missouri

Lousiana Tech

Northwestern St

===========

L. Tigers

---------

Midd Tenn

Virginia Tech

@ Tulane

Lousiana Tech

===========

Wildcats

-----------

Eastern Kentucky

Kent State

Louisville

Florida Atlantic

============

Commodores

-----------

Richmond

Eastern Michigan

Miami Ohio

Wake Forest

============

Gamecocks

------------

Louisiana-Lafayette

So. Carolina State

@UNC

Clemson

32 home games

8 road games (includes 2 that are virtual 'neutral-site' - GA @ Gtech, LSU @ Tulane)

Gators

--------

Western KY

Troy

Flo Atl

Fl State

=========

Vols

--------

@ California

So Miss

Arkansas State

Louisiana-Laf

=========

G. Bulldogs

---------

OK State

Western Carolina

Troy

@ Ga. Tech

=========

Tide

---------

Western Car

@ Florida State

Houston

Lousiana-Monroe

=========

Razorbacks

----------

Troy

North Texas

Chattanooga

Florida Intl

=========

A. Tigers

---------

Kansas State

South Florida

New Mexico State

Tennessee Tech

==========

M Bulldogs

-----------

@ Tulane

Gardner-Webb

UAB

@ West Virginia

==========

Rebels

--------

@ Memphis

Missouri

Lousiana Tech

Northwestern St

===========

L. Tigers

---------

Midd Tenn

Virginia Tech

@ Tulane

Lousiana Tech

===========

Wildcats

-----------

Eastern Kentucky

Kent State

Louisville

Florida Atlantic

============

Commodores

-----------

Richmond

Eastern Michigan

Miami Ohio

Wake Forest

============

Gamecocks

------------

Louisiana-Lafayette

So. Carolina State

@UNC

Clemson

I hear you but all the big teams regardless of the conference schedules this way - big ten does it - big 12 i think might be the biggest culprit of the alleged softie scheduling but they all do - part of the revenue game but there is nothing finer in the world when someone loses to the cupcake - happens once a year and it is one of my favorite events - because they all have that dumb, i can't beleive it just happened look on thier face - and then there is a an absilote riot in some college town.

i can't speak for everyone else in the SEC but auburns ooc schedule is pretty decent, IMO...south florida is in the top 25 in virtually every preseason publication and KSU is top 50. new mexico state, while not highly ranked makes every team that they play shoot it out with them because of a constant pass attack (a la texas tech). i'll give you tennesse tech as a cream pie.

in addtion to that, auburn has a home and home with west virginia the next two years and clemson for the two following that.

a decent schedule, to be sure. especially considering the fact that we play georgia, lsu, florida and a resurgent arkansas all on the road. we also have saban's bama coming to jordan hare.

ETA: tennessee tech is the only team we play from a non bcs conference

The Big-10 is pretty good at playing some non-cupcakes, but they still do it a bit too much.

I'm worried about Oregon this year. Last year they just floundered, their defense was hideous, and they had a really crap QB situation that wasn't making anyone happy. And they lost a couple of actual good players too. I know that Stewart is a beast RB, but still...they need something else.

I hear you but all the big teams regardless of the conference schedules this way - big ten does it - big 12 i think might be the biggest culprit of the alleged softie scheduling but they all do - part of the revenue game but there is nothing finer in the world when someone loses to the cupcake - happens once a year and it is one of my favorite events - because they all have that dumb, i can't beleive it just happened look on thier face - and then there is a an absilote riot in some college town.

Not true at all. Look at USC.

USC 2007: @Nebraska, @Notre Dame, vs. Idaho (one gimme)

USC 2006: Nebraska, Notre Dame, @ Arkansas (no gimme)

USC 2005: @ Hawaii, Arkansas, @ Notre Dame, Fresno State (no gimme - FSU was ranked that year)

2004 and 2003 are similar. Not ALL the big teams schedule that way.

The Pac 10 has 11 out of 31 non-conference games on the road. 35% is way more than 20%.

Washington alone may have a tougher non-conference schedule than the four toughest games on the slate for any two SEC teams you can pick. USC goes into Nebraksa and Notre Dame. In a season where their toughest in-conference game is also on the road.

Arkansas' schedule is particularly ludicrous. Kentucky's is not much better. Only one BCS-conference team between them and not one road game in the lot. Whereas the Pac 10 has only one teams that have all 3 non-conf games at home and one of those is Notre Dame.

Remember that the when the NCAA said that teams could add a twelfth game, the Pac 10 added a league game and the SEC added more Louisiana compass schools.

32 home games

G. Bulldogs

---------

OK State

Western Carolina

Troy

@ Ga. Tech

I have no problem with Georgia's non conference schedule. Ok State at home will be tough. We go there to start the season next year. You just letting you know for next year when you come up with this stuff again. I am giving you a head start. GT vs. UGA is not neutral. They give us about 5,000 seats. Only other way we get tickets is by scalping or buying their season tickets for that 1 game. The stadium will be 90% GT fans......and we will still kick their ass.

The way I see it. The two cupcakes we added are what other conferences get during the conference scheduling. We have 2 cupcakes, Vandy (which is improved and beat us), UK (which is improved and beat us), and Ole Miss. 5 not so tough games. I would say 3 cupcakes and 2 a bit better then cupcakes. I am okay with that. Bronn - Who is your team? Who do they play this year?

No, Georgia looks decent schedule wise - two BCS schools is about as good as anyone can expect from most teams. That'd be my gauge - is it 50% or greater BCS/ranked schools, and is at least one on the road?

Cal is Bronn's team.

ETA: tennessee tech is the only team we play from a non bcs conference

I look forward to seeing New Mexico State in the BCS then. Did they get added to the Big 12 when I wasn't looking?

Auburn's toughest non-conference game is South Florida at home.

How does that compare to the Pac 10 teams?

USC - @ ND, @ Nebraska - much tougher

Cal - vs. Tennessee - much tougher

Washington State - @ Wisconsin - much tougher

Arizona - @ BYU - tougher

UCLA - vs. ND, vs. BYU - much tougher

Arizona State - @ Colorado - weaker team, but a road game - push

Stanford - vs. ND - tougher

Washington, vs. Ohio State, vs. Boise State - much tougher

Oregon - @ Wisconsin - much tougher

Oregon State - @ Cincinnati - equal opponent, but a road game - tougher

I look forward to seeing New Mexico State in the BCS then. Did they get added to the Big 12 when I wasn't looking?

USC - @ ND, @ Nebraska - much tougher

Washington State - @ Wisconsin - much tougher

Arizona - @ BYU - tougher

UCLA - vs. ND, vs. BYU - much tougher

Arizona State - @ Colorado - weaker team, but a road game - push

Stanford - vs. ND - tougher

Washington, vs. Ohio State, vs. Boise State - much tougher

Oregon - @ Wisconsin - much tougher

Oregon State - @ Cincinnati - equal opponent, but a road game - tougher

cincy doesn't compare to south florida..or KSU for that matter. NMSU is in the WAC; boise making a bcs bowl threw me there.

ND is uber overrated, they'll barely make .500 this year.

BYU will in no way shape or form match what they did last year.

i see your point; i really do but the ONLY cream pie on our schedule is Tenn tech; period.

ETA: we also play florida and lsu away and they are far tougher than any team on your list. we play georgia away and they, at the very least, push everyone on that list (they are tougher than cincy, byu, colorado, boise state, nebraska and ND for sure)

Bare minimum scheduling for a team with four non-conference games IMO.

One traditional power.

One middling BCS conference team

Three road games every two years

Only one opponent from 1-AA or the Sun Belt or the Big West

South Florida is ranked in the pre-season in 2 of the 7 rankings I could find. For those of you who attended SEC schools, that means they were unranked in 5 of 7.

ETA: we also play florida and lsu away and they are far tougher than any team on your list. we play georgia away and they, at the very least, push everyone on that list (they are tougher than cincy, byu, colorado, boise state, nebraska and ND for sure)

Blah blah blah blah blah - we're gonna mention our in-conference schedule over and over again even though it is virtually impossible to tell how the SEC compares because THEY WON'T PLAY GOOD TEAMS IN THOSE TEAMS stadia. You might as well start evoking Chewbacca if you are going to bring that argument.

USC is every bit as good as any team on your list. And they play everyone.

Without exception, every league has a .500 record in in-conference play. Someone wins every game, someone loses every game.

point taken on bringing up the in conference schedule. i sometimes forget that western conferences are usually pretty weak, except for three or four teams. :P

i'd like to debate more but i'm at work and have no books to reference

no argument from me on USC playing a tough schedule year in and year out. i would like to throw out the fact that USC is NFL lite but thats a story for another thread and sounds a little like sour grapes.

USC does play a tough schedule - no arguements there they are the team on left coast that has a strong footbal tradition. Hey i am not sure about USC being NFL lite; i bet the are just under the NFL salary cap - they are more along mid market team. I am partially kidding, anyone who has ever been on a big school campus knows what i am talking about. How do the athletes (who can't have an actual JOB roll around in Escalades and have diamonds the size of golf balls???)

Some teams duck out of conference games and really schedules are set sometimes 10 years ahead of time so it is difficult to guage it and USF is good example - 8 years ago when they were nobodies teams were lining up to get these guys at their house in September and now they are like "OH crap, these guys got some players". I mean it is not like there is a team out there that schedules all three of the military acadmies and like Stanford, OH wait i think i might be on to something...

USC probably says the only way to make sure they get in the BCS national championship game is to schedule tough OOC teams b/c the teams in the Pac 10 are a bunch of cupcakes. :lol: Hell, UGA, Florida, Tenn, LSU, and Auburn would do the same type of scheduling as USC if they played in the Pac 10. Just kidding.............well maybe just kidding some.

i'd say fairly well considering the also play colorado state* and la. tech.

*colorado state is an away game, so i give you that, although there are probably some high school teams in that area that'd play a better game.

I mean it is not like there is a team out there that schedules all three of the miltary acadmies and like Stanford, OH wait i think i might be on to something...

If are going to treat that as Notre Dame's non-conference schedule, then I'd agree that it is a pretty weak one. (We'll put aside the fact that they don't play Army this year - hate to ruin a good argument with actual facts and stuff)

But that would make their conference:

Georgia Tech

Penn State

Michigan

USC

UCLA

Michigan State

Purdue

Boston College

Duke

That would be without question the toughest conference in the nation. And the Irish would STILL have a tougher non-conference schedule than Arkansas.

*colorado state is an away game, so i give you that, although there are probably some high school teams in that area that'd play a better game.

In Fort Collins, Colorado State would be favored over 2/3 of the teams on the SEC non-conference slate.

In Fort Collins, Colorado State would be favored over 2/3 of the teams on the SEC non-conference slate.

bollocks.

ole miss, vandy, miss state and thats probably it.

certainly not auburn, georgia, florida, lsu, arkansas, south carolina, alabama or tennessee.

kentucky would be a push

Archived