Harry Potter 7 (aka Potterclypse)

The Wolf Maid

So the new book is finally out! Reactions? Complaints?

SPOILER: OMFG
Looks like the carpetbook is the real leak. And AS/S babies FTW.

ETA: As pointed out, this is obviously a spoiler thread so WTH, no need for spoiler tags. You've been warned enough by the title .

I just finished it, not quite one hour before it's released here on the West Coast.

I liked just about all of it - there were a few cringeworthy moments, true, but honestly, I didn't expect much more out of it than this.

That goddamned epilogue will haunt me forever, though. I wonder if JKR has been sneaking around the shippers sites or something. :P

I just finished it after a marathon five hour reading session through the night.

I hate the epilogue and the closure and the ending.

SPOILER: Hero
Snape was the real hero - the whole story has been unerringly predicted in so many fanfics

comm'on people, quick harry potter chat in oschat?

SPOILER: annoyed
Harry should have stayed dead. And if only one Weasley was going to die, it should have been Percy, not Fred. Grand act of redemption and all that.

And Mult, I completely agree with you.

SPOILER: annoyed
Harry should have stayed dead. And if only one Weasley was going to die, it should have been Percy, not Fred. Grand act of redemption and all that.

And Mult, I completely agree with you.

Since presumably this is the discussion thread for the book, why are spoilerizing it?

I liked it a lot, although I wouldn't call it my favorite book - that belongs to Order of the Phoenix (although, having read Deathly Hallows, with all the information released, all the plot twists and turns, I'll probably never look at OoTP the same way again) in terms of sheer readability. Still, it was definitely an enjoyable read for me.

One thing I noticed is that the book is seriously dark. A lot of the book dwells on the struggles of the Gang of Three, who meet up with failure after failure, falling into trap after trap, until finally they begin to grasp and choose a path to get what they need to get done. Rowling certainly didn't make the Horcrux hunt easy for them, which made me happy. Some moments in particular, like when Harry gets into the argument with Remus, are particularly memorable.

Another thing is that Rowling puts in a huge amount of information about the Wizarding World in this book. We learn a lot about it, from Dumbledore's past himself, to Snape's worst memory (I think that part might have been slightly ham-handed, but considering the sheer hatred Harry had for Snape, there was probably no other way it could be done), to stuff about the Wizarding World in general. I actually liked the ending, in particular the final encounter between Harry and Voldemort.

I hate the epilogue and the closure and the ending.

SPOILER: Hero
Snape was the real hero - the whole story has been unerringly predicted in so many fanfics

Yeah, I was pretty sure I had seen Chapter 33 before. Like word for word. Perhaps she got lazy and just lifted it somewhere. I know I've said this several times already in various threads, but I'm an unreconstructed Snape fangirl, and I hated how the Snape storyline was bungled, especially taking the easy way out and avoiding a real confrontation between Snape and Harry. Even seeing him in a portrait, at the end (the ending was much too abrupt), would have been nice. (there were enough obvious lifts from Star Wars, why not one more).

Yeah, I was pretty sure I had seen Chapter 33 before. Like word for word. Perhaps she got lazy and just lifted it somewhere. I know I've said this several times already in various threads, but I'm an unreconstructed Snape fangirl, and I hated how the Snape storyline was bungled, especially taking the easy way out and avoiding a real confrontation between Snape and Harry. Even seeing him in a portrait, at the end (the ending was much too abrupt), would have been nice. (there were enough obvious lifts from Star Wars, why not one more).

Yeah, well, Snape's fate in the novels, IMO, was pretty much to be misunderstand. Harry misunderstood him as early as Philosopher's Stone, and I doubt you could have done a good confrontation between Snape and Harry (in part because Snape has no real reason to confront Harry).

Guest OsRavan

I REFUSE to use spoiler tags in a thread clearly labled to say it is full of SPOOILERS

And agai nit was a good book. Un par with any of the others. What were you expecting?

Also this is NOT a childrens book. At *BEST* it is a teen book.

I have worked in the hcidlren secitons in bookstores. There are NO books in that section HALF as big as this one.

Further, the chidlren section... which is for kids 10 and under really... well. Some 8 year odls can read HArry Potter Fine. I coudl have., but the AVERAGE 8 year odl woudl ismply have been unable to handle this book.

Why?

because it is not a kids book.

Let me spell this out.

I-T-I-S-N-O-T-A-C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N-S-B-O-O-K

1, 2, 3 were. HEll i'll evne throw you 4.

But childrens books are not 700 freaking pages long. Ok?

Good?

Cleared that up?

excellent lets move on.

Actually the storylien that annoyed me the most was Kreacher. And oen of the most crigne worthy moments was klreacher charign the death eaters doing a brave heart impression.

andl iek toehrs said, the whoel endign was screwy. I put it down to this being the first ending JK has ever written. Shes had by this point plenty of expeirnce in writing. and we have seen her writing quality improve. But not much in endign series. And it showed. But. What can you do?

No one with abrai nexepcted Harry to die. But yes the clsoign of msot of the SL's... the epilouge.. malfoy..snape... hell GINNY. Could have been done better

Guest OsRavan

that doesnt make it a kids book. That makes it a teen book wioth childish themes.

there is a differnce.

If he average kid simpyl is incapable of reaidng that book...and this is TRUE.. Soem can yes.. but average kid? no.

then itsn ot a kids book.

clearely.

You can claim its a bad adult book. A childish teens book.

A tene book with childish elements.

But it is NOT a kids book

Archived