Comic Books

Nephrite

All-Star Superman. Classic, this is how Superman should be written, as only Grant Morrison can do.

Still, though I enjoyed it immensely and thought that, overall, it blew All-star Batman and Robin out of the water, I am reminded once again of why I find Batman to be about a million times more interesting as a character than Superman. Miller's Batman might be insane and possibly evil, but he's interesting as a character (albeit in much the same way a car crash is interesting). Superman...he's utterly confident, altruistic, noble, heroic moral paragon. Period. I mean, he's Superman, thats who he should be, but its never been a character I've found particularly interesting.

Luckily Morrison has shied away from making this a character study(which is essentially what All-star Batman and Robin is), and instead focused on insane abilities and crazy tech and superheroism against supervillainy and all that good stuff. Its either that, or alter the Superman character to make him interesting enough to support a sustained character piece, but then you run the risk of turning him into the wishy washy pussy of the current DCU. Im glad Morrison chose the former route.

Speaking of Superman, the teaser for Superman Reborn is now up. Man, I'm not ashamed to admit my eyes watered at that beautiful score, and Marlon Brando's voiceover. Before I got hooked on Star Wars, I remember watching and re-watching my family's tape of the movie to the point of ruin. It's earnest and filled with great performances, and though perhaps it doesn't date so well anymore because of some of the conventions, it's still very watchable if for nothing else but the score and Christopher Reeve.

Looking at the credits for the new film, Williams' main theme is going to be used, while John Ottman will score the rest. An interview with him suggests that he'll be throwing in variations and nods throughout the film, too.

All Star Superman #1: Very good...love Quietly's art...should continue to be an interesting read...

House of M #8: I couldn't really be upset with the ending...not sure the series needed 8 issues to tell, but the ending was neatly done and begs a few questions...but the onus is now on Marvel and their editorial staff to make this work...they've involved two of their three premiere teams + Spider-Man, their flagship character, and changed the fundamental nature of their entire comic universe...Hopefully their current trend charts a positive course toward cleaning up some old problems for them...

The jury's out though...

Superman Returns trailer: Anyone think they are smearing on the Jesus paralells a *bit* too obviously?

Ultimate Spider-man 86: Start of a filler arc. Some funny dialogue "Where did you come from? The Dr. Octopus fan club?" And Flash is (just like he ALWAYS is in 616 continuity.... Mistaken for Spider-man.

Also, Silver Sable.

Books of Doom #1: Okay art (nothing spectacular) but good writing. Love the mix between "interviews" with Doom and people who knew him. Doom: "What I said to them was not important." Gypsy "He said he'd hunt us down and destroy us all...."

"NOBODY dunks Doom and lives to tell the tale!"

Read it. DOOM commands you!

Marvel Knights Spider-man 20: Hmmm, I'm still wondering what they will do with this Other storyline. Aunt May: Iron Woman was pretty cool though :P

X-men 177: people have lost their powers. The Sentinels are now mechs.

Runaways #10: "Sharks... Trying to eat us.... There were Sharks in Space!" Also. Spider-man, Cleak, Dagger, and other fun stuff.

Speaking of Superman, the teaser for Superman Reborn is now up. Man, I'm not ashamed to admit my eyes watered at that beautiful score, and Marlon Brando's voiceover.

I am right with you on that, plus that shot of him in front of the sunset is gorgeous. I am unashamed that in this day and age of "grey" characters and ambivilent morality in storytelling, that I love Superman wholeheartedly.

I've been reading the first 6 Swamp-Thing TPB's. GOOD stuff. Alan Moore's Swamp-Thing rocks. And Ettrigan too :P

Also Astro City (Life in the Big City, Family Album, Confessions & The Tarnished Angel) Interesting stuff, but a bit too self-referential to feel "real" (this is odd, but you see both the Marvel and DC-verses feels real in a way, not that they *are* mind you but they feel like it, Astro-City, despite actually dealing more with down-to-eart issues, feels too much like a "Now I'm going to make a Superhero City!" kind of place. It's odd) Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live/read there all the time :P

Zatanna #4 - Well this one finally got out. It's a good ending to the story, and it stands on it's own a bit better then the other finished minis.

Sook's art is good, and the magical duel is pretty well played and the main villain has a wacky sense of humor. Morrison gets a bit metaphysical, but it's agreat way of showing how powerful the characters are.

Frankenstein #1 - One mini ends, and another begins. Personally, this one was great, close to last week's ASS (sorry coudn't help myself). Frankenstein is a great character, a mix of the standard Franenstein monster and Buffy/Van Helsing archetype.

This is the first issue where we see how truly dangerous the Sheea are. The atmosphere is truly spooky, and it's funny how the arrival of Frankenstein actually relieves the tension.

The last 2 pages gave me goosebumps.

Mahnke is one of my favorite artists and this may be his best work to date.

I'm currently reading Maryam Satrapi's Persepolis. Great autobiographical story about growing up in Iran. Very black humour. ("I realized that God and Marx looked very much like each other, except that Marx's hair was a little bit curlier.")

I am unashamed that in this day and age of "grey" characters and ambivilent morality in storytelling, that I love Superman wholeheartedly.

The problem though is making a good Superman movie. I always thought Superman II was the best because you have a decent villain who isn't incredibly stupid, unlike III and IV. If this movie is all about Lex Luthor creating natural disasters, I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

Give me Darkseid.

The problem though is making a good Superman movie. I always thought Superman II was the best because you have a decent villain who isn't incredibly stupid, unlike III and IV. If this movie is all about Lex Luthor creating natural disasters, I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

Give me Darkseid.

Or Brainiac, Parasite, or Metallo. If done right, even Bizzaro could work.

Superman actually has a pretty good Rogues gallery.

I'm more worried who will poor Wonder Woman fight in here movie.

Not using the superman score would be a gross travesty of everything.

The original superman was probably the best example of how to make a comic book come to the big screen. It does look a bit aged now, but really - it's a stellar movie.

I'm more worried who will poor Wonder Woman fight in here movie.

Egg-Fu obviously.

That said:

Young Avengers is pretty good. Though what's up with all the skrulls in the MU lately? Are they planning a big Skrull event or what?

Lol Yeah I was think that aswell.

First the Trainie Super Skrull shows up in Runaways.

Then the Gay Mutant Young Avengers is revealed to be a Gay Super Skrull with a Fake Mother who is a Skrull.

Funnily enough the Skrull in Runaways was willing to become a Female to please the Lesbian Alien from Runaways.

Anyone know anything about the Skrulls cause I am confused as hell.

Whats a Super Skrull? How many are there? Whats a War Skrull?

But Female Skrulls are pretty feckin Hot.

Also looks like the GSSYA is the Heir to the Throne of The Skrull Empire or something.

Plus Shedload of Skrulls in the 2 parts of the X-men: the End out so far.

Then there is a Skrull running around in Drax the Destroyer.

Plus that Lying Skrull in Marvel Team Up not long ago, the one who couldn't shape-shift. Haha the one where he was telling his story was funny as hell, guy was lying out of his arse.

Not using the superman score would be a gross travesty of everything.

They're using the Main theme, I believe. The rest is new. Although the trailer has "Planet Krypton" so maybe that will be in it, too.

John Ottman said they planned to use that stuff that plays while Superman takes Lois flying over Metropolis and during which she recites that song, but he said it didn't really age well.

Whats a Super Skrull? How many are there? Whats a War Skrull?

At least two confirmed, there might be more (the Original Super Skrull got cancer, was turned into cosmic rays, then turned back, cancer cured, then there was another Super Skrull who seemed to imply that there was an entire "corps" of them)

War Skrull was, IIRC, a skrull that became on of Apocolypse's horsemen. But I might be wrong in that.

Archived