Can't Stand Erikson

SergioCQH

About the chronology I was told to not read Night of Knives before The Bonehunters to avoid minor spoilers.

I think it makes more sense to read Night of Knives before Bonehunters because Temper and Kiska's small appearances in BH probably make more sense if you're already familiar with the characters from NoK. Also chronologically NoK is earlier than any of the other books (I think it is earlier than MT, although since they're not related in any way it's a bit difficult to be sure).

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, to follow on the order of the books discussion...

I just finished Midnight Tides. I was expecting the big revelation of why Trull was getting "shorn" at the beginning of House of Chains. But it wasn't there. I mean, yes, we obviously know by the end of MT, he isn't crazy about this whole reincarnating Rhulad thing, but he hasn't actually moved against his brother yet. Fear has, or rather he's just getting the hell out of Dodge, trying to find Father Shadow, but at the end of MT, Trull is heading back to try and help Rhulad.

The prologue to HoC, where the shorning takes place, mentions that one of Trull's acts of "treason" is to proclaim another raise the "true children" (or something like that) - I'm assuming that's the Tiste Andii, but we don't see him making those claims by the end of MT...so I'm guessing there's a little more to fill in that gap somewhere?

• 1 month later...

I think my problem might be that I hate high fantasy more than any specific problem with Erickson.

A couple of my problems with him:

1. Constant one-uppance in terms of "OMG, my ancient uber powerful demigod can beat your ancient uberpowerful demigod."

2. The characters who aren't ancient uber powerful demigods all have some mysterious secret power that is revealed at the end of the book to make them just as powerful as the ancient uber powerful demigods.

3. There's a constant one uppance in the knowledge curve as well as the power curve. On page 600 you find out that Anomander Rake secretly knows that Whiskeyjack secretly knows (on page 500) that Laseen secrelty knows (on page 400) that Dujek wears women's panties.

4. Way too much stuff like "I am shield anvil! Open your Lorezno Haplo Warren for Oppon is in play!"

That all being said, I think he is a really good writer. He ties in plotlines and characters far better than most authors. The Chain of Dogs plot was terrific, and the routine banter between Bridgeburners is always quite good. I just want more regular folk and fewer ancient/new demigods.

There's just too much stuff. Too many gods and deities and alien races and powerful magicians and empires and armies and warrens and supernatural stuff. Laundry lists of stuff. It never seems to end.

I agree.

I have tried to like this series but cant. I have read the first 1 1/2 books three times and cant get any farther. I have the first 7 books but am afraid that I will never enjoy them.

I agree.

I have tried to like this series but cant. I have read the first 1 1/2 books three times and cant get any farther. I have the first 7 books but am afraid that I will never enjoy them.

Parts of book 2 really aren't bad. There's a really stupid part at the end where Shadowthrone basically summons all the PC's and awards them experience points, but the historian plot is pretty cool.

Archived