The Books We're Expecting in 2008

Werthead

Guest Ser Jaime

Alan Campbell's upcoming sequel to Scar Night will be titled Iron Angel in the U.S and Canada. I don't like when publishers have different titles for different countries (it creates too much confusion) but I do like this new title better.

Also, still haven't been able to find too much information about Kraken by China Mieville. But the rumor is that it's a science fiction novel.

Still on track for Summer 2008. PK recently confirmed that Ships from the West is being lengthened by a chunky 40,000 words for the new edition.

Thanks for the update on all the release dates, seems you do a much better job at it than Locus with their outdated information.

Anyway, regarding the Monarchies of God, I have been wanting to buy and read those for a while now but seeing that Solaris will publish an omnibus plus 40K words extra, do you think it is wiser to opt for that release? I probably don't want to buy the whole thing twice, on the other hand things could be delayed (who knows what can occur in the meantime) and then the wait is even longer..

Guest Ser Jaime

It's worth waiting for the omnibus edition.

It's a great series, but Ships from the West felt rushed and the ending was abrupt. The rewritten version should be a big improvement, and will provide this series with the great ending it deserves.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard back from Melanie Rawn a few days back, and the rumors that claim that she is working on The Captal's Tower are false. She has just turned in the manuscript for the sequel to Spellbinder. . .

Patrick

A couple more '08 releases listed:

Escapement by Jay Lake (odd choice for a title what with K.J. Parker releasing the same just six months before). I believe this is the sequel to Mainspring

King's Shield by Sherwood Smith. Third and final in the "Inda" series.

Summer Palace by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Last in his current series.

The Dark Ferryman second in Elvenways series by Jenna Rhodes. I'm still surprised at how much I enjoyed the first one. Not at all what I expected though it is hard the best book I read last year, it was still rather well written.

Probably should add here as well that Orbit have now listed (on Amazon as well as their own site) Sword of Shadows book 4 as a November 2008 release. Obviously this may still change, we have seen how they kept sliding Bakker's book ever further back, and Jones is still writing the book. But it does indicate that they expect it to be done in the Spring.

Robert Jordan: A Memory of Light (Late 2008/early 2009)

Obviously this one is now totally up in the air. Give it a few months to see what Tor and Harriet want to do. 2008 publication is still possible but 2009 is far more likely.

You, guys, are very optimistic. I don't believe they will publish a complete book at all...He didn't finish it before he died :(

You, guys, are very optimistic. I don't believe they will publish a complete book at all...He didn't finish it before he died :(

Actually there is no question or doubt that the book will be published just a matter of when and in what form. The closest overlap from various sources seem to suggest that 2/3 of the book was actually written by Jordan before June. And that the last third was narrated by Jordan as well as various outlines and copious details that he went over right up until his death. The only thing my publishing relative could winkle out from people over at Tor is that rumor is the book is actually going to be bigger than it originally would have been. By which I have to wonder if my theory on Jordan perhaps realizing his pending mortality decided to tie things up with more detail and exposition than he planned when he thought he would be picking up with the outrigger novels and would have the two pending prequels to expand on certain loose threads. And speculation at Tor is now 2010 (which my sister-in-law reminded me has almost always been proven wrong). Also in the publishing media end, there is a strong belief that Harriet might want to make sure that the material for the encyclopedia is well enough along so that there is not a huge gap between the two in publication. Apparently right now no one but Harriet and Jordan knew what amount of work and detail had gone into that project. But the blog entry and interview that told of the multitude of notetaking and transcribing have some people wondering if that was not also for the encyclopedia instead of just AMOL.

But yeah, the last book will be out and probably within the next three years. 2008, though, it won't.

• 3 weeks later...

Finalizing my list for 2008.

Dance with Dragons- GRRM ( Fall?) If only we had an idea of how far he was.

The Great Ordeal- Scott Bakker ( Fall?)

Avilion- Holdstock ( November)

Last Argument of Kings- Abercrombie ( March)

Republic of Thieves - Lynch ( Fall)

Bloodheir- Ruckley ( June)

Blood of Elves- Sapkowski ( September)

The Steel Remains- Morgan ( August)

The Return of the Crimson Guard -Esselemont ( August, unless I get the special edition)

Neuropath-Scott Bakker ( May)

Dragons of Babel-Swanwick (January)

Inside Straight- various authors ( January)

Red Wolf Conspiracy- Redick ( February)

Swiftly- Roberts ( March)

Domino Men- Barnes ( February)

An Autumn War- Abraham ( August)

The Ten Thousand- Kearney ( September)

Kethani- Brown ( May)

House of Suns-Reynolds ( April)

For 2009, I have the next Rothfuss, Robin Hobb and JV Jones listed. Orbit UK has listed Jones for November 2008 but the author confirmed this week it will be a 2009 release.

History:

Millenium- Tom Holland- September

The Knight- Osprey hardcover by Chris Gravett- March

One book, if released in 2008, has gone to the head of the list (I've already read Neuropath in draft form, or else that one would have been up there):

Gene Wolfe, An Evil Guest. Considering that Neil Gaiman just read it in draft form, I have to think it's going to be released in the next year or so.

Gene Wolfe, An Evil Guest. Considering that Neil Gaiman just read it in draft form, I have to think it's going to be released in the next year or so.

According to people on the Wolfe mailing list it hadn't been sold yet back in august, so we'll see how quickly it can be put on the market. Wolfe doing Lovecraftian pulp mixed with with spy thrillers sounds pretty damn intriguing though.

In the meantime, Wyrm Publishing will release a limited edition of Wolfe's novelette Memorare early next year. It has a great looking cover too.

Also, has anyone read Gregory Frost's Shadowbridge yet? It's supposed to be released on December 26 and it seems to have gotten some good reviews. Jeff VanderMeer makes it sound really interesting:

In addition to the return of heroic fantasy, stories-within-stories Scheherazade-style are back in vogue, which is good for Gregory Frost and his Shadowbridge, because not only is his protagonist, Leodora, a story collector and teller, but everyone lives on a huge bridge that is for all intents and purposes the world, as there's nothing beneath but endless seas. To call the premise audacious would be an understatement, and yet it's the stories and the characters that reign here, not the concept, for all the glitter.

Heard back from Melanie Rawn a few days back, and the rumors that claim that she is working on The Captal's Tower are false. She has just turned in the manuscript for the sequel to Spellbinder. . .

Patrick

I seem to remember reading that announcement from her own official web-site. Ummm... the one that said she was working on it, that is.

Too bad though. I'm wasn't really interested in Spellbinder, but have been looking forward to finally being able to read Exiles (I refuse until the last book is out).

Also, has anyone read Gregory Frost's Shadowbridge yet? It's supposed to be released on December 26 and it seems to have gotten some good reviews. Jeff VanderMeer makes it sound really interesting:

I just started it this morning. Jay Tomio just reviewed it positively over at FBS.

I think saying that Shadowbridge delivers the "stories within stories" Arabian Nights like style is a bit far. Frost uses interspersed flashbacks more than anything else, unlike, say Valente who takes the Nights style and takes it even further.

Shadowbridge was average, decently written. Nothing stellar and a bit facile where it could have been a bit stronger and a bit more complex, though I do think that is deliberate on the author's part. Such deliberation though doesn't always alleviate the weakness that results.

I think if you enjoy Alan Dean Foster's Pip series, this might be the fantasy equivalent for you. For some reason this reminds me a bit of that. For m it had a very pulpish sci fi style to it, even though it is ostensibly fantasy (there are certain worldbuilding aspects that give Frost room to veer off into more science fantasy if he wants).

I also think "audacious" is another huge over statement on Vandermeer's part. I thought th eworld building was interesting but it wasn't anything stunning nor was all it all that fresh. Again, many have taken a similar approach in science fiction. And for all that so-called audaciousness, I think that Frost misses or just is too lazy to exert himself in an effort to really tap into the vein of wonder that such a world should inspire.

I got the book for free. Wasn't sorry I read it. Had I spent any money on it? I would have found it incredibly slight and hardly worthy of anything more than perhaps mass market printing and pricing.

According to people on the Wolfe mailing list it hadn't been sold yet back in august, so we'll see how quickly it can be put on the market. Wolfe doing Lovecraftian pulp mixed with with spy thrillers sounds pretty damn intriguing though.

In the meantime, Wyrm Publishing will release a limited edition of Wolfe's novelette Memorare early next year. It has a great looking cover too.

Where is that (VanderMeer's quote from)?

Archived