The Hound is a nice guy

MTGAP

I don't think Sandor had anything to do with Tysha either. His hatred of Tyrion really seems to be based in Tyrion sending him to fight in the flames, not just at the Blackwater, but also after the mobbing that nearly killed Joff and the rest. It probably doesn't help that Tyrion married Sansa either.

No, Sandor Clegane is not a nice guy. He’s much more complex. Is he good or evil? Yes! He has the capacity for acts of great kindness and even heroism. At the same time he carries a bagful of cruelty, hatred and malice. Almost like a real person…

In Lesson 1, Sandor Clegane’s BIG brother taught him early on that cruelty and strength were coin of the realm. Professor Gregor’s lesson was burned into him and our young Sandor took it to heart. He was little then. Now he’s big and badass. He harbors contempt for chivalry, courtesy, and most of all, weakness.

He sees those very things in Sansa Stark – at first glance. Her father is beheaded as a traitor before her eyes. She is held hostage and is mocked, bullied, brutalized, and degraded in turn. The Hound watches as she, alone and afraid, prepares for battle, girding herself with the only weapons to hand, using chivalry as sword and courtesy as armor. Even though she is poorly prepared compared to Robb and Jon, she is no less a wolf and below that soft warm pelt are teeth.

The Hound later meets up with Arya Stark, who, like him, has little use for chivalry and honor. She has dealt death with naked steel, whispers, and weasel soup. She also has a score to settle with him for Micah, the butcher’s boy. Sandor tries several times to ransom her, to no avail, and eventually saves her from crashing the Red Wedding. Throughout, Arya knows she could get away, but doesn’t. What’s more, the Hound is no fool and knows this as well. Arya would like nothing better than to kill him (he knows this, too), so, he does what? He trusts her, protects her, and even arms her. When she’s unable to kill him, she wants to; when she is able, she doesn’t.

OK Lesson 2 - Sandor, Sansa, and Arya can barely stand each other; they quarrel, insult, curse, hit, kick and act like…well, family. The fire burned Sandor, but didn’t break him; maybe he is, unlike most knights, made of the true steel and is just being tempered. Sansa and Arya have also learned to bend, but are far, far from broken. Family is based on common blood; sometimes the blood of common enemies. What do dogs do with wolves? They fight and kill them, yes; because they are different. They also run with them and even mate; because they are the same, since their first primal howl.

Sansa, Jon and Ghost, Bran/Hodor/Summer, Rickon and Shaggy Dog, the Reeds, Osha the Wildling, Sandor the Hound, Brienne of Tarth, Arya/Arry/Nan/Weasel/Cat, and Nymeria’s hundreds. This pack is getting bigger. Lions beware. Winter is Coming.

I agree in thinking the Hound had no part in what happened to Tysha

I only mentioned it because there was a fair amount of discussion on the subject early in this thread, about whether Sandor was the type to join a gang rape at such an early age. I was just saying if she was paid as a whore, and the guards genuinely believed her to be one, then any who participated never knew they were guilty raping someone's wife. only guilty bedding a whore.

I also agree that the hate is more one sided. I believe Tyrion does regard Sandor with contempt. As he has always seen him has Joffery's cruel lap dog. But I don't believe Tyrion has any deep seed hate for him.

The Hound on the other hand has probably always been treated with disdain by The Imp because of the Tyrion's disgust of his nephew, and Sandors complete loyalty to said nephew

But ever more for commanding him repeatedly to go out amongst fire. on top of that he insulted him in front of the soldiers at the Battle of the Blackwater, and made him look less then a half-man by leading a group of men out into battle himself. effectively chasing The Hound out of Kings Landing. He certainly couldn't stay after being made out a craven who was upstaged by a dwarf

Surely that stung enough to give him a bit of hate for Tyrion

Anyway sorry for being so off-topic this really has nothing to do with the subject at hand

:leaving:

While I completely agree that the Hound is not a truly evil person, I REALLY don't want him to come off of the Quiet Isle all non-badass. His character was so conflicted and tough and amazing just the way it was. I find it very hard to imagine a quiet, humble, soft spoken Sandor Clegane. One half of the brothers Clegane that (Jaime, I believe?) someone thinks at one point there would have to be more than one hell to hold both Sandor and Gregor. The same ferocious man who when told he's drunk, replies "you're dead". The man whose idea of romancing is holding a sword to a woman's throat. I guess all we can do is hold out hope that maybe he'll still retain some of his tough exterior. Although in the Gravedigger scene when Sandor hangs his head after being reprimanded about almost throwing dirt on someone.....it doesn't look to hopeful. Alas. :cry:

While I completely agree that the Hound is not a truly evil person, I REALLY don't want him to come off of the Quiet Isle all non-badass. His character was so conflicted and tough and amazing just the way it was. I find it very hard to imagine a quiet, humble, soft spoken Sandor Clegane. One half of the brothers Clegane that (Jaime, I believe?) someone thinks at one point there would have to be more than one hell to hold both Sandor and Gregor. The same ferocious man who when told he's drunk, replies "you're dead". The man whose idea of romancing is holding a sword to a woman's throat. I guess all we can do is hold out hope that maybe he'll still retain some of his tough exterior. Although in the Gravedigger scene when Sandor hangs his head after being reprimanded about almost throwing dirt on someone.....it doesn't look to hopeful. Alas. :cry:

Ah, though, he could've been grinding his teeth when he hung his head. We didn't see his face but it may have held that characteristic scowl. Sandor's got too much unfinished business; I don't believe he'll come from the Quiet Isle all meek and mild. More balanced, maybe, maybe a better sense of purpose, but not neutered.

Going back to what Thanatos wrote, does anyone know if the guards knew they were raping Tyrion's wife? I had the impression that Tywin was standing over the proceedings, as it were, and that everyone knew what was going on.

Sansa, Jon and Ghost, Bran/Hodor/Summer, Rickon and Shaggy Dog, the Reeds, Osha the Wildling, Sandor the Hound, Brienne of Tarth, Arya/Arry/Nan/Weasel/Cat, and Nymeria’s hundreds. This pack is getting bigger. Lions beware. Winter is Coming.

This is pretty damn badass.

Mandy, take heart. Suppose Sandor does come off the Quiet Isle meek and mild and peaceful. Now suppose he traipses up to the Vale to find Sansa, and discovers Littlefinger's effectively been molesting her. That ought to snap him out of it right quick. :D

Regarding Sandor's hatred for Tyrion -- I know this has been pointed out before, but again, for the benefit of the newly-revived thread: It would seem that Sandor's hatred is much older than the whole fighting-in-fire deal. When he's talking to Sansa at the end of ACOK, he says, "Bloody dwarf. Should have killed him. Years ago." ORLY? What did Tyrion do to piss him off years ago?

Mandy, take heart. Suppose Sandor does come off the Quiet Isle meek and mild and peaceful. Now suppose he traipses up to the Vale to find Sansa, and discovers Littlefinger's effectively been molesting her. That ought to snap him out of it right quick. :D

Poor Sansa!! That poor girl gets all kinds of awful stuff thrown at her. Surely GRRM wouldn't do THAT to her!! Although it does kind of look like it's going to happen. But maybe Sandor would arrive BEFORE that happened and just THINKS it already did. Or he happens to see something that makes him realize what's going on and it sets him off.....

Ok. I feel better now. Haha! :wideeyed:

• 4 years later...

Of course, the Hound is a nice guy - just not the perfect nice guy 'coz he did bad things, too. Among the guys who were considered bad (Sandor, Jaime, Theon, Tyrion, etc...), Sandor was the only one I could remember who found peace at the moment. I don't know if he finally believed in gods, I just hope he won't become a monk forever though. It would be nice, however, if he'll present himself a witness from the faith against Cersei 'coz surely he knows a lot of secrets about the Lannisters being her sworn shield for years.

I think the Hound is a baddie, but on his way to redemption. Only I don't think he'll get a happy ending (unfortunately). For his crimes, specially for killing Mycah, since that featured so prominently in the story and troubles him so that Arya hears him sob, when he confessess having killed him and laughed about it, he will probably get some gruesome retribution. I'm thinking dragonfire. Maybe he faces a dragon to save Sansa or some other POV character?

I too wonder about the past interactions Tyrion had with the Hound and why they loathe each other so much, could it relate to Tysha and /or the Hound's sister??? If anyone coild.please.direct.me to.a.thread discussing these matters I will much appreciate it!

I want to see someone be about to kill Sansa, and then the Hound saves her. And then she hugs him and shows him some affection and kindness. I wonder how he'd react to that! :stunned: Then I want to see him have sex with Sansa, because Sansa's hot and she needs to have sex with someone. And Sandor... well, for all we know he's a virgin.

i want to see the same thing except i want sandor to help him :X

For his crimes, specially for killing Mycah, since that featured so prominently in the story and troubles him so that Arya hears him sob, when he confesses having killed him and laughed about it, he will probably get some gruesome retribution.

My take on that was that he was sobbing from the pain, and that he brought up Mycah (whose name he could not even remember) because he thought that that would convince Arya to kill him.

Archived