Cricket 2

Maltaran

To start the new thread, I present the following news link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/6956696.stm

Kapil Dev has been sacked as chairman of India's national cricket academy for refusing to give up his involvement in the rebel Indian Cricket League.

The ICL, a Twenty20 series, is being launched this year, and has already attracted the likes of Inzamam-ul-Haq, Brian Lara and Lance Klusener.

This is sounding more and more like Kerry Packer part 2.

I can't believe Pakistan let Mohammad Yusuf go so easily to the ICL - the guy breaks the World Record for calender runs one year and is a pariah the next?

Well, subcontinental cricket is certainly never boring!

As to Herr Warne, I loved his statement that "I'm no Adolf". I guess he's so German that's the only German name he could think of despite the fact that no one has called their kid that for a long time for obvious reasons.

BTW When I lived in Germany there was indeed a cricket competition - the teams were made up solely of ex-pats from India & Pakistan!

Chris Harris is apparently being mentioned as an ICL joiner. Now he's 37 years old, his dibbly-dobber medium pacers will be even more dibblier and dobblier, although his batting might still be adequate. Cairns and Astle are also possible joiners, being retired from international cricket in any case. Now I would be surprised if these 'Western' cricketers joined - I expected that England, Australia and New Zealand would be the most resistant to the ICL. But with retired players (especially Cairns and Astle who have retired from even first-class cricket altogether) I suppose it's a different matter.

So long as the international players were retired or otherwise out of their national teams, I didn't think there were any problems. Yousuf is clearly the biggest catch of the ICL, but so far it seems only Pakistan have lost active national team members. I don't think many other active internationals will budge. It might make some national boards think about raising the remuneration of cricketers, though (as India appear to have now done with their first-class system).

Let's not get carried away! That was a slightly disappointing score for the loss of only two wickets, even on a slow pitch. On the plus side, Flintoff was bowling consistently in the 90s, and Anderson and Broad were in the high 80s. That makes a hell of a difference when the ball isn't swinging or seaming.

And the two spinners are doing good. Still, England are barely in the game (193/5 as I speak). This is probably the last recognized pair, and the asking rate hasnt reached 8 yet. But Bell needs to step it up.

England actually did quite a good job with the lower order to get within 9 runs of the Indian total from that position. Mascarenhas in particular can really hit the ball a long way.

That was an entertaining game - India really looked to have won it after dismissing the England top order fairly cheaply but then seemed to have problems taking wickets when the batsmen were playing sensibly. Bopara and Broad deserve a lot of credit for their 99-run partnership, especially considering they're coming it at 8 and 9 in the batting order (although they could both play at least a place higher).

Kevin Pietersen dismissing Sachin Tendulkar was a bit of a surprise as well ;)

SHould be a good finish today - India need 47 off the last 5 overs with Uthappa and Dhoni at the crease.

And that was some AMAZING hitting from Mascarenhas! 5 sixes in a row, and vital too, or else I think India would have cruised to victory. As it is, I wish my laptop had enough battery to allow me to follow the finale :(.

Sir Thursday

And that was some AMAZING hitting from Mascarenhas! 5 sixes in a row, and vital too, or else I think India would have cruised to victory. As it is, I wish my laptop had enough battery to allow me to follow the finale :(.

I don't know what Dravid was thinking bowling Yuvraj for the last over, especially since Mascarenhas was obviously going to try to hit every ball out of the ground (and managed it).

Good debut from Luke Wright as well, he certainly didn't waste any time. Shah was good as well.

wow, amazing game today.

the india-england series has been pretty awesome so far. the finale's gonna be awesome. I hope they show it on sky1.

edit: well, pakistan's lost 2/3rd of their middle-order and two of the best batsmen they have ever produced. Part of me whishes shoaib akhtar and asif would have followed as well...

4-3 finish after a 3-3 set up. Can't ask for much more from an ODI series.

Twenty20 now lads. Australia FTW? Have they lost Ponting? Could be a blow.

T20 always strikes me as a little more... random than the ODI or Test matches. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Seeing as the Twenty20 World Cup is coming up, I decided I'd work out the rankings in this form of the game based on all previous results, using the same algorithm that the ICC uses for ODIs*. Here's how it ended up:

1) India

2) Pakistan

3) Sri Lanka

4) South Africa

5) Australia

6) Bangladesh

7) England

8) West Indies

9) New Zealand

10) Kenya

10) Zimbabwe

So at the moment these rankings aren't particularly accurate - there haven't really been enough games played yet...but as the results come in from the WC matches I'll put them in to the spreadsheet I've made up...should be interesting to see what it comes up with at the end of the tournament.

I'm thinking Australia are good money for the title, but it's much easier to pull off an amazing performance in T20 because you don't have to keep up the brilliance for as long. So much less certainty about the favourites than there was in the ODI World Cup, which in my view is a good thing. I'm thinking Bangladesh stand a decent chance of making the Super 8s...they don't have to defend their wickets quite so much, which was where they got into trouble in the Caribbean.

Sir Thursday

*with one caveat: I couldn't be bothered to implement the weighting system for old games, it was too much extra effort.

Archived