Cricket 2

Maltaran

Oh dear. How embarrassing.

All of these international tournaments (Tennis US Open just finished, Twenty20 on now, Rugby World Cup), and all of them in abysmal viewing times! Ah well. Can barely keep track of them anyway since I'm flat out at the moment with my high school teaching now.

I guess all Aussies would be a bit red-faced after that one...just as ODIs bring sides closer together than in Tests, so a Twenty20 brings sides closer together than in ODIS, but still - the gulf in class between the sides should have been massive. I'm not saying Zimbabwe's problems are solved, but I hope I don't sound like sour grapes when I say I don't think this one performance makes them a good team, nor does it make Australia a bad team. Regardless of that, Zimbabwe do deserve kudos for landing a king hit on us and making us look very silly. ;)

In other news, Stephen Fleming turned down the ICL when they offered him $500,000 to play in their month-long tournament. That's ridiculous money. If I were offered $500,000 to play cricket for a month....heh. We've always known that money and security was the main attraction for the rebel Pakistanis, but this just makes it all that much clearer.

20/20 cricket is not proper cricket.

The game is just too random for us Aussies to take seriously.

I bet there are poms pissing themselves laughing over this.

Now that I have fulfilled the sterotypes, fair play to the Zimbabweans - outplayed our lot in every sense of the term.

In other news, Stephen Fleming turned down the ICL when they offered him $500,000 to play in their month-long tournament. That's ridiculous money. If I were offered $500,000 to play cricket for a month....heh. We've always known that money and security was the main attraction for the rebel Pakistanis, but this just makes it all that much clearer.

He's just been dropped as test captain in favour of Vettori too. I'm a big NZ cricket fan, but I think he should just screw them and take the offer, he deserves it.

I'm waiting to see how India v Scotland turns out - I hate that I don't have satellite TV at college. I'm sad we don't have Dravid as our captain anymore, he was awesome. Dhoni's a great batsman, but I'm wary of his leadership abilities. Still, he'll probably do well.

I'm not missing Sachin, though. He's been unreliable for the past four years or so. It's past time he was out.

[compulsory gloat] Did I not say Bangladesh were good for an upset :) [/compulsory gloat]

Saw the highlights, Devon Smith had a nice cameo, but Ashraful stole the show. Bangladesh look pretty dangerous to me. Twenty-20 suits them.

My updated World Rankings are as follows: (note that hitherto India have only played one Twenty-20 international, so that ranking could slide when they've plaed a few more games)

1) Pakistan

2) India

3) Sri Lanka

4) South Africa

5) Bangladesh

6) England

7) Australia

8) West Indies

9) Zimbabwe

10) New Zealand

11) Kenya

12) Scotland

I did include the warmup games into this as well, just so there was some more data. It's interesting that the sub-continental teams are riding high - Pakistan has a 6-1 record, although that includes wins over Scotland, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Bangladesh. Mind you, as we've seen, you can't take the minnows lightly in T20.

Sir Thursday

I'm waiting to see how India v Scotland turns out

Unfortunately the match was abandoned due to traditional Scottish weather. Interestingly, if Pakistan beat India by a big margin (i.e. more than the 50-odd runs they beat Scotland by) tomorrow then Scotland could qualify for the next stage despite not winning a game.

:pirate: Arr, this is disgraceful and will have to be fixed at Twenty20. And Pakistan doesn't have Inzamam, Yusuf or Shoaib Akhtar, so time for them to get owned.

If there are any Pakistanis on these boards, I love you really. But I still want to beat your cricket team. ;)

Well, if India win, you'll get your role reversal - India will be #1, and Pakistan #2...but if the Pakistanis win, India drop below Sri Lanka into 3rd spot.

I'm not sure who I think will win - Pakistan managed to beat Sri Lanka in the warm ups, but have lost a few stars, whilst India have had recent competitive matches to hone their cricket, but are lacking in T20 experience. Should be a good one - it's a juicy double header tomorrow, what with England v Australia coming up before it :).

Apart from Australia.

:rofl: :rofl:

Sir Thursday

Phew, the real Australia showed up today. Good bowling performance, restricting England to 135 is a pretty decent effort. Flintoff got a few and was looking dangerous but there were wickets coming fairly regularly, and early on the English batsmen had a number of airswings at hittable deliveries which didn't make the task any easier toward the end of the innings when they needed to up the rate.

I think England have done enough to still qualify even if they lose, unless Australia chases it down in some miniscule time. Given it's a must-win for us though, I don't think our lineup will take too many chances in knocking it down quickly, so I think the Poms are safe for the next round.

Archived