"hot" topics

the_dragon_rider

The system automatically makes a topic a 'hot topic' based on the number of posts in a thread. I think the default value is 20. So any thread with more than 20 posts in it automatically becomes a 'hot topic.'

The admin may be able to change the default value, I can't remember. It's been years since I touched IPB.

Actually, I think it's a topic in which a lot of posts are made in a short period of time. A cold topic is one in which someone just posts every once in a while.

Or so I believe.

No, it's based on the number of posts. (Yes, I'm a giant nerd and worked it out one time.)

IIRC, the "magic" number is 30; that's why you'll see some 2-page topics (depending on your settings) that are still "not hot". This thread in GC has 30 posts (29 replies) and is "hot". This thread in General has 28 posts (27 replies) and is "not hot". (I'm looking for a thread with 28 replies but not finding one. :P)

Aha, the search function has a sort by number of replies! This thread in Lit has 28 replies and is "not hot".

So. Um. Long answer short, a "hot" topic is one that has at least 29 replies (30 posts). Now back to pretending I'm not such a dork. :lol:

Archived