Still More MLB

Jaxom 1974

Just because football is almost up and running doesn't mean we should forget what a real game is!

If they want to win this junk ass division, they'd better reel off about 9 in a row to get a respectable number of games above the break even point.

That, Wedge my friend, is where in the problem lies. None of the three teams butting heads for the NL Central seem capable of reeling off 3 or 4 in a row at this point, let alone 9. St. Louis can make some hay Tuesday through Thursday while the Cubs and Brewers go at it, but somehow they'll tank it too and by the weekend, we'll have a log jam still.

Sox= Boston Red Sox

WSox or ChiSox= Chicago White Sox

Sox = Chicago White Sox

BoSox or RSox = Boston Red Sox

:P

Here in Baltimore, we've now lost six in a row starting with the game that we shall not be named. Well, that's our customary tradition for the past decade, I guess. Hover near .500 then the wheels fall off the cart some time between mid-July and late August.

At least there are some interesting playoff races and ex-Orioles to follow around.

That, Wedge my friend, is where in the problem lies. None of the three teams butting heads for the NL Central seem capable of reeling off 3 or 4 in a row at this point, let alone 9. St. Louis can make some hay Tuesday through Thursday while the Cubs and Brewers go at it, but somehow they'll tank it too and by the weekend, we'll have a log jam still.

Yeah, that's why I was insinuating that there is nothing to be proud about in this fugly division race.

Even if the Cardinals make the playoffs, the honorable thing to do would be to just get swept out by the D-backs or whoever has the second best NL record.

I'd amend this if they or the Brewers or Cubs could somehow win the division with 88 or 89 wins. Anything under 85 would be enough to justify hari kari. (Yes, Caliban, I know by this theory that the Cards should have rolled over last year, but it's just too easy to beat the Padres in a 5 game series....)

Regular season is over for the Sox; Yanks cannot catch them at this rate. The pitching is just not there. I also think Seattle is a better team than the Yanks- but who know who will make it to the wild card.

The Sox need to keep their hitting consistent as their starting and relief pitching is in full playoff mode. JD Drew is a complete bust, but hopefully Ortiz, Manny, Youk, and Lowell can keep things moving.

Regular season is over for the Sox; Yanks cannot catch them at this rate. The pitching is just not there. I also think Seattle is a better team than the Yanks- but who know who will make it to the wild card.

The Sox need to keep their hitting consistent as their starting and relief pitching is in full playoff mode. JD Drew is a complete bust, but hopefully Ortiz, Manny, Youk, and Lowell can keep things moving.

Drew has put up a .287/.374/.448 line since June 1. Which, while not great, is not that bad either. He's a good defensive RF, too. He had a bad July, but he's put up .324/.400/.479 this month. Which has been helpful, given that Coco has put up a >.700 OPS this month. Youk and Manny are below >.720. Drew hit his first homer in a while yesterday, too. Papi and Lowell carried the team this month, but Drew and Lugo have been pretty helpful.

I get the feeling Drew's coming around a bit. It's got to be difficult going from the awful league to the real one, at first. Fucked Beckett up as we saw, though he's made some adjustments and now he's a stud. I'm sure Drew has/will get his shit together, too. Dude is a .888 OPS guy for his career. I see no reason why he won't be that .290/.390/.500 guy with 20-25 HRs again. Last September he put up a 1.145 OPS with 6 HRs, 10 2Bs and 23 RBI. Helped the Dodgers immensely, despite the bitching of their fanbase. I'll take that production out of him this September, though. That would be fine with me.

What the fucking hell happened to Mike Mussina? Did someone give him a ninja lobotomy or something?

It's baffling.

Just adds to my despondency over Mussina's career progression.

Cards at .500 now, Wedge can stop winging and just cheer!!

Sori's back, you bitches are toast, jacque jones is hotter then ashley simpson post nose job, Jacque is hitting his balls off. Happy Birthday Lou Piniella, you are godlike in your managerialness.

The Cubs are going to the playoffs baby, no doubt. No doubt.

Please tack back Joe Buck.

Wow, Caliban just completely owned another fan base. Well played, sir.

Yeah, Jaime, this is weirding me out HARD. I've been pulling for the Yankees a little more since I went to school away from the tri state area (as I no longer have to put up with obnoxious Yanks fans, and now have to put up with obnoxious "it's cool to hate the Yanks" fans), but even outside of that, Mussina's a Stanford guy, so I feel bound to pull for him, and this is just fucking ugly. Is he hurt or something?

I am goign for the Phillies all the way. I know they have a thing for letting the "phans" down. I really do not think this year is any different. However they have the highest runs scored (in the NL), but their main problem is the pitching. They have the 3rd or 4th highest(runs scored) allowed in the NL if I am not mistaken. They have been through a lot this season when it comes to injuries, but are still within 3 of the wild card, and 4 for the NL East division lead. With the way they have been injured most of the season and still have stuck in there I really hope they do something for once. Cole Hammels needs to get back in the lineup.

Happy Birthday Lou Piniella, you are godlike in your managerialness.

First Skiles, now Pinella? Is love of authority figures a Chicago thing? Can see Caliban's dad: "DITTTTTKKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Yeah, Jaime, this is weirding me out HARD. I've been pulling for the Yankees a little more since I went to school away from the tri state area (as I no longer have to put up with obnoxious Yanks fans, and now have to put up with obnoxious "it's cool to hate the Yanks" fans), but even outside of that, Mussina's a Stanford guy, so I feel bound to pull for him, and this is just fucking ugly. Is he hurt or something?

Yeah, I wonder. Apparently all his pitches look exactly the same. The guy was always known for being a brilliant pitcher, mixing up speeds and locations such that it looked like he had 7-8 different pitches. Hope it's just an injury and not that he's actually done. If this were to be his last real season, he'd leave the game defined by all his "almosts." Always one game shy of 20 wins, one batter shy of a perfect game (Fuck you Sandy Alomar), arrived one year after the Yankees stopped winning championships, one out shy of getting a ring in 2001. And barring a miracle he'll almost certainly come up shy of Cooperstown. Just a shame. He's a good guy by all accounts and more than a little clutch. My favorite pitcher growing up.

I know they have a thing for letting the "phans" down.

I just died a little bit inside.

Please tack back Joe Buck.

No.

Jack Buck was the real deal.

Joe Buck had a chance to become a great announcer, but got Foxified along the way. He's now the Jeannie Zelasko of the broadcast booth. Damn shame.

Third Knight.... While I'm still root, root, rooting for the Redbirds, I'll get excited when I see them six games over .500.

Caliban, getting your team 4 games above .500 does not a 'godlike manager' make. Unless you're a Cub fan, I guess.....

The number of wins will be anti-climatic if Sweet Lou gets the boys to the promised land and wins it all. Then Cal can go all whack-o.

Now. How great was it at the ballpark last night when the fans booed Bob Ueker out of the booth after singing the 7th inning stretch and then proceeded to do it all again on their own. That was actually cool. (Not the booing Ueker, he is an elder statesman of the game after all, but he shoulda thought that would happen this time when he sang the stretch.)

Archived