Still More MLB

Jaxom 1974

My internet access was blacked out, I wasnt. The D Lee homer, I love him.

Okay, first problem here. That's from Mac, Jurko and Harry. *BLECH!*

Real fans dont boo, Jaxom. What happened today was disgusting.

True. Mostly. He deserved to get heckled after blowing that play on the bases. Totally took him out of his game too.

We'll know all we're to know by the end of the day, Sunday, September 15th...

This is theoretically possible, but you know they're going to split the series and end up right where they started. The Cardinals were a game away from that tie-breaker play-in game last year. I'm looking for the three-way round robin this time.

The CUbs are 1-0 in playoff play-ins featuring Steve Trachsel. I'll take those odds to Vegas.

I love Geo Soto. We have a lot of good young players that could theoretically hold positions with the franchise for many years. Pie, Riot, Soto, Marshall, Hill, Marmol, and hopefully Fontenot and Murton can get it together too.

By the way, Cards fans, this years Cards team is horrible. Im not being a jerk or a bitter Cubs fan, here. There is no legitimate baseball argument that can be made for them. Pythagorus thinks they are 61-74.

There is no legitimate baseball argument that can be made for them.

For them to do what? Win the division. They couldn't try harder not to win it, and they're only a game out. Win the world series? Last year's team lost nine of their last ten. Total nose dive. Didn't matter. And then there's the 2004 team, which was one of the best teams I have ever seen ,and they got knocked all around the park.

So feel free to call them horrible, but really, what difference does it make?

:lol: "Hey, we just won the world series!"

"...but...your team wasn't very good."

"Oh, you're right. It totally doesn't count now. Sorry, folks. Give back the trophy."

By the way, Cards fans, this years Cards team is horrible. Im not being a jerk or a bitter Cubs fan, here. There is no legitimate baseball argument that can be made for them. Pythagorus thinks they are 61-74.

I agree with you, Caliban.

I mean, if it wasn't for an infusion of adrenaline from Ankiel in the last few weeks, they probably would be 61-74.

Getting kicked around by the Pirates is pretty lame, though.

I agree with you, Caliban.

I mean, if it wasn't for an infusion of adrenaline from Ankiel in the last few weeks, they probably would be 61-74.

Getting kicked around by the Pirates is pretty lame, though.

For what its worth, the Cubs are driving me insane. I was following the score while at work, and the 3 run Homer was like a punch in the gut. Damnit Dempster.

Gots him in the fantasy team. :) BTW how does todays drubbing affect greek math as aplied to beisbol?

(Runs Scored)^1.83

---------------------------------------------------------

(Runs Scored)^1.83 + (Runs Allowed)^1.83

C'mon now. You know the Redbirds are all about the ganja and alcohol.

ETA... Re: HGH.... Yeah, I kind of knew something like this would pop up once I read the Peter Gammons column saying: "Every time I look at Rick Ankiel, I think he is a better man than me."

When something seems too good to be true....

.... it's par for the sports world these days. :unsure:

Naive is right. When I read this article this morning, the first thing I thought was that why, in this age of cynicism and heightened suspicion, didn't anyone accuse him of something fishy right off the bat? I know I didn't. When he started hitting like Reggie Jackson, I just naively assumed it was an amazing, natural comeback. After today however, I can only think... yeah, of course; why didn't anyone guess this?

So, ignoring for a moment that nothing's proven yet... why was everyone so naive about this? Was everyone so cynical about Bonds and Co., that we all saw something genuinely surprising in baseball and just wanted it to be true?

Well, I listened to what Gammons had to say on Mike/Mike on ESPN radio (there's a link on the espn site). Gammons is giving Ankiel the benefit of the doubt stating that 2004 was a serious year of recovery when Ankiel was still trying to be a pitcher. And that the HGH for Ankiel may have stopped just before MLB identified it as a banned substance.

Maybe Gammons knows something because he feels he knows Ankiel well enough. Maybe he just wants to believe in this amazing comeback.

Still, there is now that kernel of doubt planted and in the current environment that's really all that's necessary to label Ankiel as suspect every time he swings the bat.

The other thing to remember is that pitchers are still learning how to pitch to Ankiel. Give him a few times through NL pitching and the production may start to slide a little bit.

And the hits just keep on coming:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...robe/index.html

Basically, Troy Glaus recieved steroids. Horray!!!

From the article:

Former World Series MVP and four-time All Star Troy Glaus, currently a third baseman for the Toronto Blue Jays, received multiple shipments of performance-enhancing steroids, according to information obtained by SI.

A source in Florida with knowledge of a Signature Pharmacy client list alleges that between September 2003 and May 2004, multiple shipments of nandrolone and testosterone (on Major League Baseball's banned list) were sent to Glaus at a Corona, Calif., address that traces to the player.

The prescriptions, written in Glaus' name, were obtained through New Hope Health Center, a California-based anti-aging clinic that advertises the sale of anabolic steroids and human growth hormones on its Web site. The prescription was sent through Signature, the Orlando-based compound pharmacy. The prescribing physician was Ramon Scruggs, M.D. According to the Medical Board of California, Scruggs is currently on probation and is prohibited from prescribing drugs over the internet.

first: The only documented proof they have of Ankiel using HGH is from a doctor in South FL, that got the presicription from an online supplier from Jan to Dec. of '04. Then it stops. MLB had not banned HGH in 04, so him using it would have no bearing on anything hes doing now.

Now, if they test him and he comes up positive, which I don't believe there is any way to test for the stuff, then I say suspend him. (Card Fan here)

Second: How pathetic are the stinking Cubs. The Cards and Stros having been giving them the div. all year, but here we are 3 weeks away from the playoffs and there is the log jam of mediocraty in the NL Central. Nevermind the Brewers , they are still young and will probably be even better next year (watch out Cards). But the Cubs have no excuse to not be 10 games up. Imagine if the Cards did have Carpenter all year, you figure thats a guaranteed 10-15 wins that they would have right now putting them well above either of the Cubs or Brewers.

Third: I think this weekend will prove a lot. The Cards have a 3 spot against the D-Back in the desert, while the cubs get the Pirates at home. The Division is the Cubs for the taking this weekend.

Second: How pathetic are the stinking Cubs. The Cards and Stros having been giving them the div. all year, but here we are 3 weeks away from the playoffs and there is the log jam of mediocraty in the NL Central. [...] But the Cubs have no excuse to not be 10 games up.

Third: [...] The Division is the Cubs for the taking this weekend.

You're going to drive Caliban nuts by overstating the obvious.

Good work!

:thumbsup:

Archived