Still More MLB

Jaxom 1974

Naive is right. When I read this article this morning, the first thing I thought was that why, in this age of cynicism and heightened suspicion, didn't anyone accuse him of something fishy right off the bat? I know I didn't. When he started hitting like Reggie Jackson, I just naively assumed it was an amazing, natural comeback. After today however, I can only think... yeah, of course; why didn't anyone guess this?

Well he wasn't really hitting in 2004, the shipments stopped years ago, and it certainly didn't help his pitching, so I'm not ready to correlate the two yet.

EDIT: I'm less concerned with potential suspensions, etc, than what this will do to a 'head case' such as Ankiel. Either a tragic backslide with crazy throws into the stands, or his pitching woes have made him tougher. It will be interesting to watch.

Naive is right. When I read this article this morning, the first thing I thought was that why, in this age of cynicism and heightened suspicion, didn't anyone accuse him of something fishy right off the bat? I know I didn't. When he started hitting like Reggie Jackson, I just naively assumed it was an amazing, natural comeback. After today however, I can only think... yeah, of course; why didn't anyone guess this?

Well he wasn't really hitting in 2004, the shipments stopped years ago, and it certainly didn't help his pitching, so I'm not ready to correlate the two yet.

No, my point is... regardless of whether or when he actually was on anything - I'm more surprised that no one was automatically thinking steroids back when he started hitting well. Only because his comeback seemed too amazing to be real, considering the current public perception of things like this. Yet everyone was like "Gosh, wow, gee!"

eta: In other words, maybe we're not really that cynical after all.

Great bounce back by Z.

I am in love with Carlos Marmol. He has the best slider in baseball right now, he is basically unhittable.

I dont know what Lou is doing with the facial hair growth. Its putting his sanity back into question.

Great bounce back by Z.

I am in love with Carlos Marmol. He has the best slider in baseball right now, he is basically unhittable.

I dont know what Lou is doing with the facial hair growth. Its putting his sanity back into question.

OK granted, I'm a Giants fan. And as such, I might not be paying as much attention as I should be to, oh I don't know, the standings and stuff, or pitchers not named Lincecum or Cain, but who is "un-hittable" again? No sarcasm.... just asleeep until Monday.

OK granted, I'm a Giants fan. And as such, I might not be paying as much attention as I should be to, oh I don't know, the standings and stuff, or pitchers not named Lincecum or Cain, but who is "un-hittable" again? No sarcasm.... just asleeep until Monday.

Carlos Marmol is a second year guy for the Cubs. Last season he spent most of his time in the starting rotation, this year he's turned into a fantastic seventh inning guy. He leads the league in inherited runners not scoring at something like 91%. He really does have this fantastic slider, as Cal mentioned. My concern is that he'll get too tired. He probably didn't need to go in the eigth last night, but it worked out.

Marmol is most akin to Fransisco Rodrigez and Brad Lidge a few few years ago. Both really young arms that came on with unhittable sliders and morphed into pretty damn good closers. Lidge has faultered recently but K-Rod is still the stud he was projected to be. My hopes for Marmol is to follow the Lidge/KRod career path.

ETA: Jax, I too am worried about Marmol throwing too many sliders and overall too many appearences. Although until yesterday he hadnt pitched since wednesday, I am concerned. He has 50 innings as a stater in Iowa that isnt being tabulated.

Umm... Jax? Caliban?

Your Cubs are back in for a share of first and this thread hasn't been touched for two days?

What's wrong?

Patience is a virtue. Besides, as gung-ho as I am in general, I think Caliban's focus is fighting with Stego and Kal in the NFL thread at the moment. :P

Yesterday was a sign of the team the Cubs should have been all year. Solid pitching, timely hitting, a couple homers sprinkled in. It doesn't hurt that the Cardinals are all but ready to lay down. Injuries are finally taking the toll of your team there, Wedge.

But So Taguchi, man? WTF? Aren't 2 of his 3 bombs off the Cubs now? :lol:

Thank god for Teddy Lilly. That guy has really stepped up for us this year. Weirdly similiar to Bronson Arroyo switching leagues last year, hopefully Lilly keeps this up through the length of his 'Hendry signed while on an EKG' contract.

Honestly, If the Cubs bats are geting hot, and that means power from Soriano /Lee / ARam, they can make serious noise in the playoffs. Big Z might be getting hot again too. I dont think beating Arizona or NYMets in a 5 game is at all improbable, certainly not more improbable then taking down the 101 win (awesome) Braves team in the 2003 NLDS.

The Cards last year showed what can happen once you're in, and if the Cubs can play anywhere near how they are capable, they will be in, and then anything can happen.

Obviously there are some question marks, can Marmol's arm stay attached, can Kerry Wood stop sucking, can Marshall/Marquis/Trachsel win a playoff game, will the team hit?

Im calling for one thing though, the one thing Ive been waiting for all year, the one thing that can warm the hearts of Cubs fans throughout the world, Im calling for D Lee to put the team on his shoulders and fight us into the playoffs. I love you, D Lee, by the hitter I know in my heart you can be. If '05 D Lee miraculously comes back, forget about it Milwaukee / STL.

Throw nice tonight Marquis.

Thank god for Teddy Lilly. That guy has really stepped up for us this year. Weirdly similiar to Bronson Arroyo switching leagues last year, hopefully Lilly keeps this up through the length of his 'Hendry signed while on an EKG' contract.

Mediocre AL East talent can look studly in the god awful NL Central. GMs should take note.

Back on top.

Power Surge.

Cards are done.

Yeah, pretty much. Its absurd they lasted this long considering everything that has happend this season. They'll finish in 3rd place, but I know I'll never forgett it. What also sucks is that the Mariners had to go into the tank too. :(

So as of today while still hoping that the Cards pull a 10 game winning streak. I'm putting my provisional support behind the Colarado Rockies.

Mediocre AL East talent can look studly in the god awful NL Central. GMs should take note.

Dont be a jerk. It makes sense that not having to face Yanks, Blue Jays, and Boston lineups 8/30 starts would help your era more then the typical AL to NL migrant.

Power surges for one game mean nothing. I'll wait to see if they "surge" this weekend and put the Cardinals down for good. Nothing is ever over in this current climate of suckitude. Because you just know the Cards will split with us doing just enough to hang about and then sweep their last three with the Brewers...I think they have three more, don't they? Or did they play those already?

Dont be a jerk. It makes sense that not having to face Yanks, Blue Jays, and Boston lineups 8/30 starts would help your era more then the typical AL to NL migrant.

I'm not, dude. There is plenty of evidence that the AL > NL. Really, the NL Central is the worst division in the NL and the worst in the game. When the Sox trade Coco Crisp this offseason an NL team could get themselves a great fucking bargain. He'd probably put up an .850 OPS with 15-20 homers again, plus that Gold Glove defense. Definitely could be helpful.

I'm not, dude. There is plenty of evidence that the AL > NL. Really, the NL Central is the worst division in the NL and the worst in the game. When the Sox trade Coco Crisp this offseason an NL team could get themselves a great fucking bargain. He'd probably put up an .850 OPS with 15-20 homers again, plus that Gold Glove defense. Definitely could be helpful.

I thought there was very little OPS+ difference from league to league.

I thought there was very little OPS+ difference from league to league.

I don't have any studies on hand. I'm fairly certain it's been proven, statistically, that there is a gap and it has been widening. It seems to be pretty profound now. Wily Mo Pena looked fucking hapless against the breaking ball in the AL. I still think with consistent time he could have hit 30 HRs in the AL, but he wasn't close to that this year. 75 OPS+ in the AL. Dude is knocking them ..out every 10.4 ABs in the NL East. 3-4 tonight with a 2B and a SB. One dude, small sample, sure. But, Arroyo 109 ERA+ guy during his years as a starter for the Sox. He's a 130 ERA+ guy in the NL thus far. Lilly isn't as profound, but in his AL career he was essentially a 100 ERA+/league average starter. He looks much better than that in the NL. Randy Johnson put up an 88 ERA+ last year in the AL, he looked like he was fucking toast and, pre-injury, had a 123 ERA+ in the NL West. Teixeira has, in half the ABs, nearly matched his seasonal HR total from the AL in the NL.

That is all anecdotal evidence, but they're just the first few of many that come to mind. Took Beckett a 5.00 ERA year to adjust. It makes sense, too, none of the division leaders in the NL would win their respective division in the AL. It's interesting shit, too. I'd love for Baseball Prospectus or someone to take a closer look at it.

Archived