Avatar The Last Air Bender Book 3: Fire

Trebla

I'd guess a variation firebender, like the sandbenders were earth or the swampbenders were water.

That would make the most sense except it seems to follow a completely different "mechanic" than anything we've seen before. Swampbenders were still bending water, it was just in the plants. Sand (and metal) is simply another form of earth. Lightning is energy, similar to fire. This guy is "shooting" what appears to be a beam of force that concentrates itself on a single point, then explodes. That's not any type of fire as far as I can see. There's also no martial arts involved; it's like he has a rocket launcher on his forehead.

One of my friends noted that he seems to clench his stomach right before he shoots. Could be related to the fire chakra somehow.

I figured it was something like the chakra or the inner fire. Kind of like Azula, he has focused his emotion and channeled it. Unlike her, he doesn't seethe; he just never stops coming. It's a neat new mechanic.

How does Zuko know him again?

You know what I like about this series?

Despite having it's share of badasses: The aging but still kick-ass mentor, the domineering villainess, the prophecized hero... The most bad-ass of them all is still the blind little rich girl.

Because yeah, Toph rocks.

I figured it was something like the chakra or the inner fire. Kind of like Azula, he has focused his emotion and channeled it. Unlike her, he doesn't seethe; he just never stops coming. It's a neat new mechanic.

How does Zuko know him again?

I don't think they really revealed that. All we've seen is that Zuko hired the guy to "end" Aang.

I'm rather interested to see if there was more to Fire Lord Ozai shipping the kids off so he could meet with his advisors. Perhaps talks of lines of inheritance? He had disowned Zuko and now Zuko is back. I'm very curious what Azula thinks of all that. you HAVE to think that she thinks she going to be next in line. I'm betting that her telling Ozai that Zuko killed the Avatar will sort of backfire and she may then HAVE prove Aang is alive.

Also I'm interested in this weeks episode because from what I'm hearing, its about Avatar Roku and Fire Lord Sozin. I've always wondered if Sozin murdered Roku...

well, I was CLOSE!!! ..as Batman said once, "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you either" ;)

didn't see the 2 great grandfathers coming but it WAS hinted at. The blue and red dragons that Zuko dreamt about whispering in his ear while he was Fire Lord during season 2. IIRC, the "evil" dragon was blue and had Azula's voice. Sozin's dragon was blue and Roku's was red.

So Iroh finally speaks. I'm not sure I like the new voice actor as much as Mako. He'll certainly take some getting used to - he sounds close but not quite the same, which is a little disconcerting.

Lots of good back story in this episode. I'm enjoying the season so far, but I do wish they would get some plot moving along. An Iroh escape would be a good start.

So Iroh finally speaks. I'm not sure I like the new voice actor as much as Mako. He'll certainly take some getting used to - he sounds close but not quite the same, which is a little disconcerting.

Lots of good back story in this episode. I'm enjoying the season so far, but I do wish they would get some plot moving along. An Iroh escape would be a good start.

Well actually the next three episodes (The Runaway, The Puppetmaster, and Nightmares and Daydreams) have already been broadcast in the UK. The Runaway seems to be something of a filler Toph/Katara episode. The Puppetmaster is the creepy-as-all-hell episode. And Nightmares and Daydreams is the prelude to the Day of the Black Sun invasion, which will be a double-episode.

Well actually the next three episodes (The Runaway, The Puppetmaster, and Nightmares and Daydreams) have already been broadcast in the UK. The Runaway seems to be something of a filler Toph/Katara episode. The Puppetmaster is the creepy-as-all-hell episode. And Nightmares and Daydreams is the prelude to the Day of the Black Sun invasion, which will be a double-episode.

Shouldn't they show those in America soon? The puppetmaster is the Halloween episode after all.

Shouldn't they show those in America soon? The puppetmaster is the Halloween episode after all.
I suppose so, but I think that while you watch the Puppetmaster next week, the Brits will be watching the Black Sun Invasion. But if you want to see these episodes in advance, I can send you a link if you send me a PM.

I suppose so, but I think that while you watch the Puppetmaster next week, the Brits will be watching the Black Sun Invasion. But if you want to see these episodes in advance, I can send you a link if you send me a PM.

Thanks for the offer, but I've already managed to get a hold of them :)

Yeah, the Puppetmaster will make you really glad that Waterbenders don't exist in our world.

I'd read about this ability back during the second season. One of the creators talking about healing and about 'The Swamp' basically said it was an advanced Waterbending technique, but I guess that they decided to limit it to one person.

I'd read about this ability back during the second season. One of the creators talking about healing and about 'The Swamp' basically said it was an advanced Waterbending technique, but I guess that they decided to limit it to one person.

Why can't waterbenders just do to people what katara and the witch were doing to flowers? It'd be a much more efficent, elbeit evil way to kill people.

Why can't waterbenders just do to people what katara and the witch were doing to flowers? It'd be a much more efficent, elbeit evil way to kill people.

SPOILER: Puppetmaster
Probably for similar reasons that you can only bloodbend when it's a full moon - it's just too hard. Removing water from plants seems to be a high-level technique. Removing it from humans is probably damn near impossible. Can't make waterbenders too powerful, after all.

Some thoughts after watching The Avatar and the Firelord:

1. Could a foursome combining the best bender from each nation be able to defeat the Avatar in a face off? (sans Avatar State of course)

2. Would Toph and her hyper sensitive bunions have gotten everyone's asses to safety well before the Island erupted?

I guess the next three episodes (7, 8 & 9) are fair game for discussion since they have broadcast in the British Isles.

However, I'm only up to speed with what's aired in the US, the last episode being "The Avatar and the Firelord" which with current work commitments suits me at the moment so unless I catch up I might need to avoid this thread for while or be cautious of any open spoilers.

After seeing so many people rave about the show in this thread, I dl'ed the first two seasons and up to ep 9 in S3.

Awesome show. I am really enjoying all the eastern influences and I like that he who was the primary antagonist at first, is now something of an antihero...or was. Right now he's a lost soul more than anything.

Favourite characters: Sakka and Zuko.

Really, really sad to find out that Mako died. :( The voice of the new guy is decent, it's just that his pacing is off...or the inflection or something. Pretty good match though.

Archived