footie footie footie with the feet #2

Teng Ai Hui

It´s not double derby weekend, it´s TRIPLE derby weekend :stunned: did not know, but it´s the braga-guimarães derby, two very close cities in northwestern Portugal and well, they do their bit regarding derbies - there is some old old bad blood between them, at least a thousand years old due to some religious shenahigans ( football got nothing on religion, and same religion at that when it comes to bad blood). Triple derby weekend... I am too lazy to figure out the real odds, might be like two people in a class having the same birthday, but triple derby weekend, that is impressive.

Chelsea dropped points again, are they already falling off the contenders list for this year's title? Well maybe I am over eager. Still..

Arsenal continues to do amazingly well. Hleb look badly injured though, foul tackle from Lee Noble.

And the Man U locomotive is still suck in low gears. A small victory away at Birmingham gives three points but there is still nothing to be seen of last season's overpowering play. Hopefully it will get better. You'd think that with Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney and Saha in your side you might expect some gorgeous football.

Barcelona also put on a show last night, 1-4 victory with......................... a Thierry Henry hattrick.

Ronaldinho and Eto'o still out with injuries though.

Italian league sees AC Milan lag even further behind, much like Chelsea in England they are already well behind the league leaders, Internazionale. Zlatan Ibrahimvic finally making the best of things, topscorer in the Serie A. Looks like this year's title race will be a two horse race between Inter and Juventus.

ouch Milan, ouch.... :stunned: Now, do not come and tell me that Milan is just discouraged by having been docked points like last year and that kaka works miracle, this is sort of exactly like last year except even worse. And kaká seems to pretty useless league wise ( and one would argue possibly even for his country) this after having rested this summer. He can be awesome, but it´s starting to look it depends on circunstances for him to be effective. Dear god, european champions and they won 1 game out of 6. In fact they look like the italian side more in crisis, Juve and Inter seem to be gathering speed. Poor Torino tonight. BTW anybody has any idea if any just-promoted from serie B ever won the scudetto on their first year (back) at serie A?

Teresa

I don't think Kaka is the problem for Milan. In fact he scored the only goal again yesterday. He's definitly their best player. But they lack a striker of real power. Inzaghi is very irregular as we know. Gilardino hasn't been in form since he came from Parma. And Ronaldo is injured all the time. They really need to find some strength in front.

Part of it is also the way they play. Five midfielders and one striker can work, but it's really quite a defensive way to play and Inzaghi isn't going to compensate for that.

I don't think Kaka is the problem for Milan. In fact he scored the only goal again yesterday. He's definitly their best player.

Well, no I do not think Kaká is the problem, though also not sure he is so obviously the very best player. Seedorf is something special IMO, and Pirlo and Gattuso in their way are also something complete class. Plus the divine #3 of course. What I mean is I am feeling somehow that kaká is falling short of what he could be, of what he had been predicted to being say 2 or 3 years ago. For Brazil, nothing; in serie A I do not think he will be one of those players which pushes teams to win a league, for the CL not sure who was more crucial in the last CL campaign but Seedorf does not get enough credit for it. It´s frustrating. Like the old generation has retired and nobody of the new, even Kaká is quite ready yet. BTW considering Kakás league goals a lot of them, perhaps half, including this last one was a penalty kick. And his conversion rate while not being shockingly bad ( ah, Totti, Torres) is not that incredible ( Simão, Materazzi) either.

But they lack a striker of real power. Inzaghi is very irregular as we know. Gilardino hasn't been in form since he came from Parma. And Ronaldo is injured all the time. They really need to find some strength in front..

irregular, ah, you being kind to Pippo. Yep, sort of, though I would argue that Roma managed with Totti. BTW I will insist they are league wimps. Resting players for their first CL match, group stage, against Benfica at home, a poor injured Benfica who had to play their main team before travelling.

Part of it is also the way they play. Five midfielders and one striker can work, but it's really quite a defensive way to play and Inzaghi isn't going to compensate for that.

Nope, not consistently. Cups are different things than leagues. There are Drogba rumors, who I think is not (yet) cup tied because he was injured in the last CL game. But he will likely be this week.

Arsenal continues to do amazingly well. Hleb look badly injured though, foul tackle from Lee Noble.

That'd be Mark Noble

Wasn't a bad week for goals in the premier league with 11 in the Portsmouth game and then the 4-all draw between Tottenham and Villa. It's a pity that Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd's multi million dollar forwards couldn't add to the tally...

Arsenal have multi million dollar forwards? That'd be Chelsea (Drogba - £24m), Man U (Rooney - £23m inital fee, could rise to £31m), Liverpool (Torres - £20m according to Benitez, £26.5 according to "sources").

By comparison Arsenal have Van Persie (£3m), Adebayor (£3m) and Eduardo da Silva (£8.5m) who all put together are less than any single one of those other strikers. And Van Persie scored this week while the other 3 "multi million" strikers failed to do so.

By comparison Arsenal have Van Persie (£3m), Adebayor (£3m) and Eduardo da Silva (£8.5m) who all put together are less than any single one of those other strikers. And Van Persie scored this week while the other 3 "multi million" strikers failed to do so.
Torres scored a hat trick this week and right now he's looking worth the money.

Archived