Mistborn

Relic

I have read the first two books, and I'm very fond of them. It's not the most amazing story ever, but it's good solid entertainment - and like any good solid entertainment, not without some intellectual and moral substance to it. I love that it's a story about people trying to be good in a harsh, cynical world. There's far too many stories out there that whine endlessly about how impossible it is to do the right thing, and far too few that states that it can be done but it won't be easy and it won't necessarily be rewarded.

Though the part that impresses me the most is the visuals. Sanderson has a real gift for that. It's all cloaked badasses fighting epic battles across night-time mist-shrouded rooftops, evil enforcers with spikes driven through their eyes, arch-enemies facing each other down across a street while ash falls from the sky... The heroes may not always succeed, but damn if they don't always fail in the coolest-looking way possible!

Ummm.... this was asked a LONG time ago, but no, I don't think there seems to be a "commoner" class unless the bands of thieves made up of renegade skaa count as such.

As I understood it, everyone who isn't noble is skaa and under some heavy restrictions to what they are allowed to do. There are what amounts to skaa merchants and artisans who are better off than their fellows in practice, but they are not officially recognised as being any better than the other slaves. The fact that an official middleclass has arisen under Elend is a plot point in WoA.

I am just about to start reading Mistborn. I kind of laughed when I saw the Robin Hobb endorsement on the cover, because I quit reading Dragon Keeper after 200 pages because it was sooooo excruciatingly boring. I hope I enjoy Sanderson more than I did Hobb...

I am just about to start reading Mistborn. I kind of laughed when I saw the Robin Hobb endorsement on the cover, because I quit reading Dragon Keeper after 200 pages because it was sooooo excruciatingly boring. I hope I enjoy Sanderson more than I did Hobb...

I generally enjoy Sanderson's pacing quite well.

Hobb probably has the worst pacing of any epic fantasy author in history (except maybe Robert Jordan circa Crossroads of Twilight alone). She's a good writer when stuff is actually happening, but when it isn't she still seems intent on covering everything in excruciating detail.

Sanderson almost always does pacing fairly well: he has his faults, but lack of stuff happening is rarely one of them for me. Parts of some of his books, such as The Way of Kings or the Well of Ascension can drag a tiny bit at times, but never to a majorly frustrating point. He does a good job of keeping the action up, the plot moving, and interesting stuff going on.

Already halfway through Mistborn. Really liking it so far. His writing has some deficiencies but the action sequences are fantastic.

The series? or the final empire? If the Final empire, if anything it gets even better towards the end.

If you mean the series, the 1st and 3rd books are top notch. The 2nd while a bit boring is very good, but it sets up the 3rd book.

Sanderson almost always does pacing fairly well: he has his faults, but lack of stuff happening is rarely one of them for me. Parts of some of his books, such as The Way of Kings or the Well of Ascension can drag a tiny bit at times, but never to a majorly frustrating point. He does a good job of keeping the action up, the plot moving, and interesting stuff going on.

Sanderson can drag badly too. Like The Well of Ascension (the middle) or most of Way of Kings. He tends to drag with endless repetition rather then excruciating detail.

thanks guys.

i've paired the rest, but which one is spook?

I didn't see this answered:

Spook is the quiet nephew of Clubs who has a thing for Min in the first book. He speaks in the weird dialect ("wasing the where of the was") and isn't very important overall until the third book when he has a fairly major subplot.

@AP Dangerous:

i figured it out but thanks nonetheless.

it was just that he was so rarely mentioned in the part of the books i've read before i've posted that question.

unless i'm mistaken, he was mentioned only when the party gathers at their hideout.

he's come up a bit more often since then, but still doesn't seem as a very significant character.

Yep, The Alloy of Law. It takes place about 300-400 years after the end of Mistborn. I don't want to go into it too much for fear of spoilers, but civilization is progressing, there are trains, electric lights, and guns. It's like an old west tale but with misting and feruchemical powers added in, the hero is a lawman who returns from two decades of trying to tame the outskirts of civilization only to discover that the city is almost as untamed.

It was really fun.

one more question, what is that emperor/god guy called in english?

anyway, i reached the point when

kelzier (that's the spelling, right?) fights and kills the inquisitor and when that emperor/god steps up and i had to stop there.

can't wait to continue reading :D

Archived