Mistborn

Relic

I feel there comes a point where he's at risk of stretching himself perhaps slightly too thin, but it seems to work for him. Good to know we've got more stuff coming soon.

I feel there comes a point where he's at risk of stretching himself perhaps slightly too thin, but it seems to work for him. Good to know we've got more stuff coming soon.

Yep. I still have my doubts that he can write those 36 Cosmere books (well with a few published already, it is more like 30 or so) and also the sideway projects like this Mistborn Trilogy (not to add those books for YA he has read and the great job he did on WoT).

Even for a machine like him it is too much.

Yep. I still have my doubts that he can write those 36 Cosmere books (well with a few published already, it is more like 30 or so) and also the sideway projects like this Mistborn Trilogy (not to add those books for YA he has read and the great job he did on WoT).

Even for a machine like him it is too much.

Aren't the Mistborn books part of the Cosmere too?

Aren't the Mistborn books part of the Cosmere too?

Yes, they are.

However:

Sanderson's original idea was to have 3 Mistborn trilogies. The first one is the one he has published. The second one will be set on a civilization that is as advanced as humanity today. And the third one will be set on the far future, when allomancers have discovered faster than light travelling. But currently, Sanderson is working on Stormlight Archive so he hasn't time to start the second Mistborn trilogy. But he started a side project (while we wait for the second trilogy), Mistborn: The Alloy of Law. And then decided to make it in a trilogy.

Imagine if GRRM had a big universe of novels including 3 ASOIAF saga. But also doing some side projects like Dunk and Egg novels.

So basically, it will be 32-36 Cosmere novels (without including Mistborn: The Alloy of Law and its 2 successors).

Yes, they are.

However:

Sanderson's original idea was to have 3 Mistborn trilogies. The first one is the one he has published. The second one will be set on a civilization that is as advanced as humanity today. And the third one will be set on the far future, when allomancers have discovered faster than light travelling. But currently, Sanderson is working on Stormlight Archive so he hasn't time to start the second Mistborn trilogy. But he started a side project (while we wait for the second trilogy), Mistborn: The Alloy of Law. And then decided to make it in a trilogy.

Imagine if GRRM had a big universe of novels including 3 ASOIAF saga. But also doing some side projects like Dunk and Egg novels.

So basically, it will be 32-36 Cosmere novels (without including Mistborn: The Alloy of Law and its 2 successors).

Ah, okay. I'd forgotten that this second Mistborn trilogy was unplanned and not included in the original number of planned Cosmere books.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Dredging up this thread...

Just finished the trilogy and I was struck by something.

Does anybody else get a GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE vibe?

I've only read the first Dune, but the word 'god-emperor' says enough :P

Sanderson is incredibly productive, although I, for one, would be fine with him just dropping the Stormlight Archive.

I kind of wish he'd started it after finishing some other projects, so he could publish the SA books closer to one another. I liked TWOK and have WOR waiting on my shelf but it probably would've been smarter to wait with the series until it was a little closer to completion.

I kind of wish he'd started it after finishing some other projects, so he could publish the SA books closer to one another. I liked TWOK and have WOR waiting on my shelf but it probably would've been smarter to wait with the series until it was a little closer to completion.

My understanding is that he needs to vary his writing in order to keep up the pace, so there would always be something else in between the Stormlight books. And in fact, of the books published since WoK, as far as I recall, only ToM and AMoL were projects he started before 2010.

My understanding is that he needs to vary his writing in order to keep up the pace, so there would always be something else in between the Stormlight books. And in fact, of the books published since WoK, as far as I recall, only ToM and AMoL were projects he started before 2010.

I've read that theway he works usually is: write a book, edit/improve a book that he had already written and brainstorm for a new book. Usually, he is doing 3 projects at the same time, and normally they should be as dissimilar to each other as possible in order to be productive.

It is correct that he started working on ToM and AMoL before 2010. I mean at the beginning there was just only WoT book that he was planning to do, but he saw that is impossible (and indeed it was).

Despite that I like him, I am not starting Stormlight just now. Martin and Rothfuss have teached me to not go into big sagas that you don't have any idea when they will be published. And despite that Sanderson is way faster, Sotrmlight won't be finished for another 15 or so years, so plenty of time. If I start it now, then surely I would have to reread it in the future cause I will orget most of the stuff.

Lynch is in the same boat for me. I've heard his books getting praised but I also read that there are 7 planned books. So, at least a decade.

Holy thread necro. Totally forgot Sanderson used to post here.

What is dead may never die! And you know the rest...

Despite that I like him, I am not starting Stormlight just now. Martin and Rothfuss have teached me to not go into big sagas that you don't have any idea when they will be published.

:agree:

Rothfuss isn't writing a big, multi-book saga. It's just a trilogy.

I am not sure that it is just a trilogy. Clearly by the next book, Kvothe's story will reach the present time (Kvothe being the loser Kote) but there is too much to the story. We know that Chandrian is still there and destroying it was Kvothe's primarily goal.

I think that almost certainly, Rothfuss will make a new trilogy for it. In fact, I would be surprised if Kvothe won't get his powers back by the end of next book.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure that it is just a trilogy. Clearly by the next book, Kvothe's story will reach the present time (Kvothe being the loser Kote) but there is too much to the story. We know that Chandrian is still there and destroying it was Kvothe's primarily goal.

I think that almost certainly, Rothfuss will make a new trilogy for it. In fact, I would be surprised if Kvothe won't get his powers back by the end of next book.

Rothfuss as referred to the Trilogy as a Prequel. 

Speaking of which - Sanderson needs to show Pat his method for high output awesomeness.   I dont think Pat can ever publish on Sanderson's level but "closer" would be great.

Rothfuss as referred to the Trilogy as a Prequel. 

Speaking of which - Sanderson needs to show Pat his method for high output awesomeness.   I dont think Pat can ever publish on Sanderson's level but "closer" would be great.

It took him nine years to graduate college.  I think this is as "close" as we're going to get.

Archived