The Greatest book Ever.

Jagged

I'll nominate another Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities. I've always though that just about every word, every phrase, in this book is perfectly done. But Lolita. Now, that guy is to the English language what Gretzky and Lemieux are to Hockey. Just on a completely different plane than everybody else. And English wasn't even his native language. Unreal. Oh, and for the heck of it I'll throw in To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I stand by The Silmarillion. Lots of worthy choices here, especially Nineteen Eighty-Four. I like Joyce but I find Dubliners far more readable than his longer novels. If I had a second choice it would be War and Peace. I'd also consider Ovid's Metamorphosis, Great Expectations, The Book of the New Sun (which is a single novel divided into four volumes) or Titus Groan. But The Silmarillion (completed by Tolkien, merely assembled and edited a little by his son and Guy Gavriel Kay) had the biggest impact on me. Far more exciting and original than Lord of the Rings.

I'd vote for All Quiet on the Western Front I read it at college and enjoyed it but in the couple of years subsequently I have really just got to love it more. I'm British and did the whole war graves experience in Belgium this book was great because it was by a German and wasnt flag waving patriotism it was about comradeship, desperation to survive and the futility of war which meant it was way ahead of its time. Remarque also fought in the trenches so it gives the book another dimension the Nazis tried to ban it also so theres one good reason to read it.

However I do feel if things keep going the way they are it will prove to be 1984 if some govt ministry doesn't erase all trace of it ever existing and insidiously convince us it never did exist.

I am impressed the mentions of 1984 - Without a doubt one of my favotites of all time - Top ten for sure. I also like the mention of Kavalier and Clay, I really liked that, but I LOVED Wonder Boys. I am oddly confused that none of us has said A Game of Thrones.

I'm seconding the David Copperfield nomination. Although Robert Graves' I, Claudius is probably my favorite, and I'd have a blast trying to argue it.

Copperfield it is.

Oh wait, what about something like 'The Communist Manifesto'? It's a pain to read, and not all that enjoyable, but when it comes to 'books that have changed the world', it might be a close...er... third behind religious texts and Paine's Common Sense.

Just thinking aloud...

Complete Works of William Shakespeare. :D

agreed, 100%. The more you study it, the more the Bard's genius shows. And it's much better than it's rival tome, The Complete Works of William Lexner.

As for The Silmirillion, I would call it "the best creation myth ever" but certainly not the best overall book ever. Just because it's intricate doesn't make for a readable story.

Archived