What are you listening to?

Bazzlebane

Les rythmes digitales -

I was just wondering if that was the awesomest video done in the last ten years :D One of the two french bands with a sense of musicality anyway.

edit:better video quality link

Now I've moved on to a series of Wolf Parade concerts from Montreal. I'm finally getting around to listening to them (in anticipation of Sunset Rubdown's new release tomorrow). Great stuff. Monsieur knows all the best sources.

Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts right now:

"Now we say it’s in God’s hands

But God doesn’t always have the best God damn plans, does he?"

Love it.

Kicking Giant - Alien I.D.. Part of the "Well, I'm using the desktop today, so mayhap I'll see what bands we have on the mp3 drive that I've never listened to" series. Damn cool so far - reminds me of Unwound at times.

Earlier I was listening to the new Band of Horses album via their MySpace page. It sounded like their last album.

Now I've moved on to a series of Wolf Parade concerts from Montreal. I'm finally getting around to listening to them (in anticipation of Sunset Rubdown's new release tomorrow). Great stuff. Monsieur knows all the best sources.

Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts right now:

"Now we say it's in God's hands

But God doesn't always have the best God damn plans, does he?"

Love it.

I'm now just finishing the fourth consecutive concert. I guess I never really get sick of Wolf Parade. Of course, they are ending on "I'll Believe in Anything" and it is scientifically impossible to get sick of that song.

When it ends, I might move on to Sunset Rubdown...they did a version of "I'll Believe in Anything"...hmm.

*flashes counterexample on "I'll Believe In Anything"*

Because I have to. :P

I've been simultaneously mining the nostalgia and exploring the weirdness.

Nostalgia:

Anything 4AD, but specifically the compilation "Lonely Is An Eyesore." It was the soundtrack for an entire miserable generation of young, navel-gazing dweebs the world over, and I love it. Throwing Muses, Wolfgang Press, This Mortal Coil, Clan of Xymoxx, Dead Can Dance, Dif Juz, and more. :love:

Fields of the Nephilim. "I am goth, hear me moan."

Kitchens of Distinction. This band could do no wrong. No, really. Double :love:

Polvo. Hey, the mid-90s were over a decade ago. This qualifies for the "fuck I'm old" club.

Weirdness:

The Lord Weird Slough Feg -- it's like Hawkwind, early-period Led Zeppelin and Motorhead thrown into a blender with Sun Ra, Frank Zappa and the wankier lyrics elements of Rush. I mean, the guy is singing about mining on asteroids, ffs. That's triple :love: to y'all.

I am, of course, now listening to today's new release, Sunset Rubdown's "Random Spirit Lover", for the third time this evening. As I've been promoting all thread. I am an unrepentant fanboy.

If anyone likes lyrical, mythological poetry disguised as melodic whimsy performed on moogs -- and really, who doesn't -- look into them. If you like Wolf Parade, look into them (don't expect as much bombast -- but it is the same lead singer as half the WP songs). If you like Arcade Fire, look into them.

You can listen to a live version of the brilliant Winged/Wicked Things at daytrotter and read the topshelf pitchfork review here.

Sample lyrics:

I say it's just smoke

So you say it's the hair of ghosts

So I say it's the white hair of Poseidon

Ebbing in the tide, in some dead sea

So you say it's the shroud of Turin

And the sun wore it white and the earth wore it thin

Archived