Heroes

EHK for Darwin

How the hell could he not infer that he was in a prison?

Yeah, that had me laughing too. Dude - you have a cot in a room with white cinder block walls and a toilet out in the open. How does that not scream "prison" to you?

Crackpot theory time (maybe I'm late to the game with this) - Adam/Kensai is the the original "hero". In other words, the very first person to have mutated genes (or whatever is giving them their powers). He could be the common (distant) ancestor of every person who has a power. It kind of struck me that naming him "Adam" was maybe a not-so-subtle clue to this...

The name and 'ultimate' origin thing has been speculated on before and seems fairly reasonable. Makes sense. And naming the oldest and/or first Hero Adam is unsubtle enough to be well within the range of the writers' talents. Though i'm sure they think they're devilishly clever for it.

My biggest problem with the episode was that every time they showed an elapsed time of "1 month", it clearly could have been "1 day", or heck, "1 hour". It didn't seem like anything significant happened in the intervening time. Conversations continued right where they left off, etc.

At least make it look like a real month had passed.

At the end of the episode I was left wondering How the Haitian got from mind wiping Peter to sick with the virus down in Haiti so quickly. Now that would have been a good part of the episode.

Overall I think this was probably my least favorite episode so far. I have thought the season has been OK except for the wonder twins. But I expected more from this episode.

I like the idea behind the episode but it didn't work. I wonder if the writers felt bad for offing DL so casually (for all that his power was pretty nifty, he was the most under-used and under-developed character in Season 1) so they gave him some more screen time for that reason alone. Agreed, we didn't really need the backstory for the twins either.

The Adam/Peter stuff was good (Peter reverting to his early-Season 1 sappy self again) and it was kind of cool seeing the explosion from up close and personal but overall they missed some opportunities there, particularly with Sylar. Mind you, if Candyse's story was accurate a quick shot of her pulling Sylar off the street probably wouldn't have added much anyway.

No fricking teenage romance bollocks this week though, which is a Good Thing. I'm keen on the new, 'evil' Kensei as well. The actor sells it a lot better than 'drunken moronic' Kensei.

I'm guessing that Peter now has access to the Haitian's powers? And Elle's? That should be interesting.

Ah yes, and he used it at the end of last week when he zapped Kensei in the hand as well. I guess he also has access to Kensei's, but given that appears to be pretty similar to Claire's (which he already has) that's not such a big deal.

Hmm. He met Bob a few times as well, but only when the Haitian was around. Perhaps that means he doesn't have access to Bob's power as well?

Ah yes, and he used it at the end of last week when he zapped Kensei in the hand as well. I guess he also has access to Kensei's, but given that appears to be pretty similar to Claire's (which he already has) that's not such a big deal.

Hmm. He met Bob a few times as well, but only when the Haitian was around. Perhaps that means he doesn't have access to Bob's power as well?

Did Peter have to see the absorbee's power to then know how to use it subsequently. He could very well have absorbed Bob's power, but doesn't know what it is.

Didn't Bob meet Peter alone (without the Haitian present) in his cell/'hospital room' when Peter was trying to persuade Bob to let him out for a day? Of course if Peter had already absorbed the Haitian's power at that point, Peter would be blocking HIMSELF from absorbing more powers!! *head explodes*

Aratan

Right now Peter has just about everything he needs. Superstrength. Immortality, Invulnerability. Mind-reading. Infinite wealth. Telekinesis. Invisibility. A whole host of varying types of 'lasers' he can fire out out of his hands. I think its about time he says 'screw saving the world' and goes off to buy his own 3rd world nation. Seriously, I'd have a harem to rival those of the greatest, most perverse emperors in history. I'd ensure near absolute loyalty of everyone around me...cause if they weren't, I'd know about it. (and take appropriate action) And even if I couldn't find that many loyal saps, what does it matter? I'm invincible.

Shit, I got it. The master plan. I'd meet Micah. (don't think he has yet). Than fix the elections on a local and national level. (if they're not networked, I can simply teleport Hiro style and hit all of them I need) to get as many libertarian candidates in as possible. Ron Paul would be President. And once America switches to the gold standard, my 3rd world nation of choice would suddenly find the biggest stock of gold in history. I'd be an economic superpower while America crashes and burns.

Bah...too much cool shit to do with these powers. Fuck the 3rd world country. Maybe I'd buy America.

Always peril though. Not for myself but for my power base. Would be much easier if I'd have met the short haired chick before she died.

You guys would take the fun out of a blow job. :lol:

Last night was a fun episode, no more or less than last year. Season one had the same clumsy dialog, exposition, coinsidences, etc. The problem is you guys are expecting more than a comic book story here.

I'm glad Kensai is channeling more "Sark" now (from Alias). His magic blood is no more eye rolling than it was in BSG. Maybe Kensai is the fifth cylon. :)

It was fun seeing Elle play with Peter. "He can take it." The song Maneater comes to mind. The wedding was interesting only in the fact the it was the first time her powers appeared. I knew that Nathan had been burned, but that was harsh! Crispy fried.

Was is it a great episode? No. But it's on par with anything Heroes has ever been. I enjoy the story and characters, but it's not high television. Or should be.

You guys would take the fun out of a blow job. :lol:

Last night was a fun episode, no more or less than last year. Season one had the same clumsy dialog, exposition, coinsidences, etc. The problem is you guys are expecting more than a comic book story here.

I'm glad Kensai is channeling more "Sark" now (from Alias). His magic blood is no more eye rolling than it was in BSG. Maybe Kensai is the fifth cylon. :)

It was fun seeing Elle play with Peter. "He can take it." The song Maneater comes to mind. The wedding was interesting only in the fact the it was the first time her powers appeared. I knew that Nathan had been burned, but that was harsh! Crispy fried.

Was is it a great episode? No. But it's on par with anything Heroes has ever been. I enjoy the story and characters, but it's not high television. Or should be.

Every word above is true. Last night was the first fun episode of the year - they're possibly back on track now.

Maybe this has been pointed out before but a friend of mine brought it up today at work: why is every female character whiny and stupid? Claire we can excuse somewhat because of her age but the rest spend most of their time whining or making the wrong decisions. And if a woman is interesting and smart, she's dead in a couple episodes. Whoever these writers are either clueless in writing women characters or are such misogynists that they can only see women as whiny and incompetent.

I think it's some kind of suggestion ability that requires her to touch the person she is trying to affect. There were lot's of shots of her touching Heidi when she convinced her not to talk about anything Nathan had told her, and I recall at least one similar scene with Nathan last year when she talked him into going along with the plan to blow up the city.

Okay, yes, there must be some reason for all those ham-handed touching shots in that scene, so that must be it. And that was just a terrible scene all around, really.

No fricking teenage romance bollocks this week though, which is a Good Thing. I'm keen on the new, 'evil' Kensei as well. The actor sells it a lot better than 'drunken moronic' Kensei.

Yes, Julian Sark is, as far as I know, really the only substantial role that David Anders has ever done before this whole Adam/Kensei thing, and he's basically playing Sark now, i.e. sympathetic, charming bad guy who's probably sleeping with your wife, etc.

I'm just trying to figure out where that forementioned 'fun' is. The twins have been doing the same exact thing since episode one and they did it again here. Does that really merit an 'origin' episode after they've been 'rinse-repeating' for 6-7 episodes now?

Is the fun their continuing efforts to fit a round peg in a square whole? AKA, playing the characters as selectively dumb or naive when it suits the storyline for the sole purpose of pushing their sometimes contrived or usually just lazily written plot points forward?

Or was it the only real mystery that remained unrevealed before last night, the death of DL? Something interesting? Something meaningful? Nah, just got shot at a nightclub. If that's the case, what was the point of having the character survive his wounds from the finale?

Personally i thought this was a bad episode even by this season's lower standards. Every scene that wasn't dealing with Peter/Adam (or their supporting counterparts, mother/nathan) almost demanded fast-forwarding.

And the latest logical gaff of the week. How the hell did Nathan turn into a burnout alcoholic, drive his wife and family away, and grow a fricken Moses beard in the matter of a week or two? Damned impressive.

I actually thought Elle was kind of a fun character, even though the character annoyed the hell out of me when she was first introduced, so I suppose her scenes could be called "fun."

And the latest logical gaff of the week. How the hell did Nathan turn into a burnout alcoholic, drive his wife and family away, and grow a fricken Moses beard in the matter of a week or two? Damned impressive.

You remember how Parkman's mind reading will eventually evolve into dream invasion? Quick hair growth is a secondary power for flying. Gotta keep the face warm in the upper atmosphere.

Is the fun their continuing efforts to fit a round peg in a square whole? AKA, playing the characters as selectively dumb or naive when it suits the storyline for the sole purpose of pushing their sometimes contrived or usually just lazily written plot points forward?

Or was it the only real mystery that remained unrevealed before last night, the death of DL? Something interesting? Something meaningful? Nah, just got shot at a nightclub. If that's the case, what was the point of having the character survive his wounds from the finale?

I seem to be one of the only people in the world who actually liked DL, but the fact that they killed him by selectively making him forget to use his power in order to fit their plot requirement of him being dead really pissed me off. Not once, but twice, even!

Personally, if I had the ability to, seemingly effortlessly and quickly, make myself and anyone I was touching intangible and some white-haired maniac was about to shoot my wife, instead of throwing myself in front of the bullet, I would have expended exactly the same amount of effort and energy to phase us both through the floor/wall or something. That's one death averted.

Also, if I was fast enough at phasing myself to avoid getting punched in the face, I think I'd be fast enough to phase as soon as I saw the punk who just tried to hit me walk up to me with a gun out. That's another pointless death averted.

If they really wanted him dead, he should have stayed dead at the end of last season and he should have been killed in a situation that didn't rely on him having suddenly lost, or at least failed to remember he had, his super power. This complaint really applies to every time they make people conveniently forget their power or someone else's power in order to move the plot where they want it. They just don't seem to be skilled enough to deal with giving people wonderous powers and then still coming up with challenges for them that are challenges even with the powers they have.

At the end of the episode I was left wondering How the Haitian got from mind wiping Peter to sick with the virus down in Haiti so quickly. Now that would have been a good part of the episode.

The Haitian needs his own 'Company Man' style episode, in a bad way. His origin comic is probably my favorite, and he's one of the least embarrasing actors. But his actions also seem to lack any coherence.

You remember how Parkman's mind reading will eventually evolve into dream invasion? Quick hair growth is a secondary power for flying. Gotta keep the face warm in the upper atmosphere.

Or he's evolving an entirely new power - floods and animal control.

Always peril though. Not for myself but for my power base. Would be much easier if I'd have met the short haired chick before she died.

He's got the Parkman powers - mind control is a step up from that chick's power.

He's got the Parkman powers - mind control is a step up from that chick's power.

If you're intent on dominating your own small corner of the world, the ability to command a person to do just about anything with a word would be key. No need to read minds, they'll do, say, and think what you want them to.

Another terrible episode. The Peter/Kensei stuff was alright, at least shit went on that could actually have an impact on the story. Nikki/DL, on the other hand, was so pointless as to defy comprehension. So DL survived getting shot last season....only to get shot again by a totally random guy for no reason at all. Y'know, watching Journeyman, which airs after Heroes, I'm struck by how at least in that show, people actually react to situations at least sort of like a real person might, whereas in Heroes, everybody seems to be the clumsy puppets of a series of lame plot twists. Take the guy in a club: he shoots DL in the middle of a crowded club for taking some girl he met an hour ago. There's dozens of witnesses, the police will find him in an hour, at which point he'll go to jail for twenty years. Who the fuck would do that over some girl he didn't even know? Take Alejandro as another example: Maya just murdered his wife, ffs, and the entire wedding party, and he doesn't even really seem that upset. Blech.

Also, I'm not seeing anything particularly "fun" about this episode. If you want an actual fun episode, you could watch "Five Years Gone", which was fun because half the cast died, Sylar was president, Parkman was a bad-ass, and lots of crazy shit went down. This was just boring.

And if Peter did decide to rule the world, the first step would be to kill the Haitan, since at this point, he's the only one who stands a chance of taking Peter down. Might as well wipe out the Company, too, just to get any more annoying vaccine research out of the way. A well-placed nuclear blast ought to do just fine for that compound of theirs.

Archived