Ideas For Denver Worldcon

Stego

Denvention has a lj community, if you're an lj member, you might want to sign up to see what news comes thru, and make comments, ask questions there as well. http://community.livejournal.com/denvention3/

Some good advice above about getting Out in Colorado. The traffic is much worse when I lived then in 1971, but really, with a car you can be at a state or federal park, forest or mountain range within a couple of hours. Check both federal and state websites about their parks and lands, see what interests you, what sort of activities you want to have. Remember that you'll be well above 5K feet in most of Colorado, and until your body adapts, you probably won't be able to do ten mile hikes thru the front range every day. If you do go out, take all sensible precautions and advice. It might be 80F (26.6 C) when you start out, but rain, altitude and nighttime will cause temps to drop to the low 50sF (10C). I strongly suggest the Rough Guide American series for those who are doing some touristing.

If there's water in the rivers, taking a slow boat on mostly smooth water, or white water if you're up to it, is a wonderful experience. All depends on snow pack and how fast it melts in the spring, and if we get summer monsoons, which should be active during the time period late July thru August. If we're lucky. Check southern Colorado, Durango, Pagosa Springs, place like that for links to rafting, accommodations and the like. Plenty of free info out here on the internet. If you're coming from the UK or a Euro country, your currency will crushing us, you'll do just fine on a decent budget and taking advantages of discounts available to the canny traveler.

Down in Santa Fe, a couple of weeks after WorldCon is the Indian Market, the biggest and best celebration of Native American art and craft in all forms and media. Very very wonderful time to see the city. The Santa Fe Opera should be in season as well.

If you do go out, take all sensible precautions and advice. It might be 80F (26.6 C) when you start out, but rain, altitude and nighttime will cause temps to drop to the low 50sF (10C). I strongly suggest the Rough Guide American series for those who are doing some touristing.

Thanks for posting that Parris - we had been unsure of the likely weather and now we know to pack our winter clothes for the trip!

Thanks for posting that Parris - we had been unsure of the likely weather and now we know to pack our winter clothes for the trip!

Ser Tubby - layers, layers, layers. If you're coming over from across the water, save the space in your luggage, and hit the local REI store or other outdoor supplier and pick up some underlayers before you go out into the wild.

Sunblock/Insect repellent - wait until you're in Denver or wherever. Sunblock/Repellents have different mixes for various regions.

I know guys don't like to talk about this sort of stuff, but you really need a sunblock and moisturizer at that altitude.

A favorite I use to ease men into using sunblock/moisturizer are the Neutrogena 'dry' formulas. They don't shed or get grease in your eyes. (You do need to shower or wash off in the evening, but you should do that before you go out for a night at WorldCon anyway). If you go out during the day, use all protection needed for your skin types, drink plenty of water, and remember that 1oz of alcohol at sea level equal 2/3 oz. at one mile high. Cheap high all around! remember this when planning drinks and bar tending at parties. Maybe dos ome experiments on willing test subjects a day or two before any Bros events.

If you go hiking anywhere, check all info at the ranger station or other entry point, and follow the directions with all seriousness. You can have a great time, just strolling around places like the Garden of the Gods which is just 50 miles from Denver, or down in the Sand Dunes (where I spent a day pretending I was a Fremen a long, long, time ago). Just know what you're doing and take proper precautions.

Sunblock/Insect repellent - wait until you're in Denver or wherever. Sunblock/Repellents have different mixes for various regions.

I know guys don't like to talk about this sort of stuff, but you really need a sunblock and moisturizer at that altitude.

Thanks for all that advice P.

We will stock up on all that stuff if we head off into the bush!

Down in Santa Fe, a couple of weeks after WorldCon is the Indian Market, the biggest and best celebration of Native American art and craft in all forms and media. Very very wonderful time to see the city. The Santa Fe Opera should be in season as well.

You are making me miss Santa Fe. I used to love the Santa Fe Opera. World class performances in a small intimate setting. I was a volunteer usher there for the 1969, 1970 and 1971 seasons, and bought standing room season tickets for 1972 through 1974. (Here is their performance history.) But then my parents moved from Nambe down to Deming, and I stopped spending my summers there. It spoiled me; the experience at large opera theatres like in San Francisco cannot compare. Even if you can afford good seats, the staging is much different when it's produced to be viewed mostly from a distance.

To build on Parris' comment about sunblock and stuff, if you guys forget everything else in this thread, remember this:

Drink water while you're in Denver. Lots of it. Two or three times your normal intake.

Denver is technically a high desert. It's very dry. Between the altitude and dryness, you could get nice little headaches from just not drinking enough water. This is doubly true when you head into the mountains.

Better mention to people that water means water. Not alcohol. :P

lol I ALMOST wrote that beer doesn't count. ;)

Just have a water bottle in one hand and chase it down with vodka.

Archived