NaNoWriMo

ThomasFoster

I think it may be because the othe thread has grown too large. We'll just move the party over here :cheers:

Excellent. Pull up a chair, and help yourself to the beers. I think I've got some rather decent Scotch around here somewhere. . .

I'm now officially signed up on the NaNoWroMo homepage. With the imagination and creativity you expect from an aspiring writer, I've chosen the username "tomfoster". If nothing else I stand a good chance of remembering it.

So a question here...when you all are writing...how do you come up with countries/provinces, empires names?

It varies, as many have said. Lately though, I pay attention to the wide and bountiful variety of wineries there are out there. I find that some of those wild and interesting names can be adapted to fit some of my needs. :P

I've fallen off the wagon to some extent. I've really, really struggling with my focus right now and with my passion over the project. Glad to see everyone kicking arse!

:grouphug:

I hope your inspiration and passion will come back, Ebenstone. Right now I'm kinda experiencing a low too, but maybe that's just because today's been kinda depressing, but I want to finish Chapter 9 tonight so...I'll see if I can stop procrastinating for a bit :P

And Jaxom...your avatar scares me...but then again I guess Tairy is doomed to be part of this thread to look up to all those writers who are so much better than him :thumbsup:

So a question here...when you all are writing...how do you come up with countries/provinces, empires names?

This is something I have always had trouble with as I think those that do great worldbuilding pay attention to the language that they employ and the rules they create in that language.

One thing that has aided me is looking at osbcure cultures and even more known cultures and looking at how surnames and place names follow certain rules (if they do) and then using those rules with some twists. Also a good old fashioned dictionary is a wonderful thing to have. Looking up the origin of words reveals some wonderful spelling variations as well as some greek and latin and arabic roots that no longer are known.

Yeah...unbelievably behind...and it's not like a lack of time. I spent hours this weekend basically staring at the wall. I also couldn't sleep last night. But I just keep putting off writing. Whatever. I suck at this too. :unsure:

ETA: That wasn't supposed to sound so gloomy, I've just been completely bashing my brains out over several physics classes I'm totally lost in, which puts me in a crappy mood, to say the least. :dunce:

I'm not sure if I will make it to the 25k already today, because today, I really have to work, but I'm only a few words behind now, compared to the beginning. It's still possible that I can do the entire 50k within the month.

:cheers: for all the words, be they many or few! And good inspiration for those who are blocked.

May I just say you people are all amazing, way to fucking go, I'm in awe. I think losing my laptop contents made me too bummed to forge ahead, I wish I had the fortitude you all are displaying.

And those that are struggling -- just hold on, you never know when inspiration will strike. Or when you stop caring and start writing gratuitous word-count-hiking crap like there's no tomorrow. It can happen.

Have any of you printed out parts of your story to reread or imagine how to progress the story?

I printed out a few pages to carry to work and read during lunch, since I'm not fortunate enough to be able to use a computer while at work :(

Some of it's quite good, other parts not so, but that's to be expected. I'll leave a notebook with pages in my car so if I'm ever stuck waiting somewhere I can do some reading.

A new thread! :thumbsup:

I'm procrastinating this morning. I've got 25k in my sights, but I'll need to crank out 3300 more words if I want to reach it today. It could happen - I did it yesterday - but only if I close out the entarnets and get to work. Work? Yeah, there's that to do too. Hmmm...

Congratulations to everyone still writing. Behind, ahead, or on target. :grouphug: And here's to Nym finishing before the month is half over (because I'm sure she will). :cheers: Just don't take the fact that you've hit 50k as an excuse to stop. ;)

Have any of you printed out parts of your story to reread or imagine how to progress the story?

I printed out a few pages to carry to work and read during lunch, since I'm not fortunate enough to be able to use a computer while at work :(

Some of it's quite good, other parts not so, but that's to be expected. I'll leave a notebook with pages in my car so if I'm ever stuck waiting somewhere I can do some reading.

I'm printing what I have in the office too, SotE. I don't read it though. Or not really. Maybe I'll look over a passage or so (because I always get confused with eye-colors, even though I'm an eye person, what does that say about me :P) to make sure what I'm going to write fits in. I'm really having to pull myself together though NOT to edit anything. I'm printing all of it off in double space so I'll have lots of room to fill in editing by hand later and when I punch it into the computer it's always changing a little again, ergo: yay for an effective editing theory, at least it works for me.

Other than that, there are hideous parts like the ending of the chapter I wrote last night, which I felt was a bit rushed, but I just wanted to write it down, because yeah, like I said, I'm not doing gaps or place-holders...irritates and confuses me way too much.

Congratulations to everyone still writing. Behind, ahead, or on target. And here's to Nym finishing before the month is half over (because I'm sure she will). Just don't take the fact that you've hit 50k as an excuse to stop.

:cheers: thanks and I will try to get to the 50K either today or tomorrow, which will probably be finishing the 10th chapter (my chapters are quite long-ish) and you bet I'll go on writing :D I love this story and I guess the first draft of the first book will be about 150-200K which means a lot will have to be edited, shortened and extended but here's to busy first-drafting, gotta love it :D

:grouphug: the month's almost halfway over but still there's more than 2 weeks to catch up. I know some of you write in spurts too and I'm sure you can do it, go Nanoers :D

Archived