NaNoWriMo

ThomasFoster

And I don't know if I'll ever see the sunny side of 25K, let alone 50K, by the end of the month, so I'm declaring right now that all who want to band together, regardless if you make the goal by the end of the month, should join me in a Westeros December Novel Writing Month. You guys have been great in helping keep me focused.

:thumbsup::cheers::drool::love: :bow:

Fantastic! This has been my best two weeks of writing ever. Even though everything sucks, it sucks noticeably less and less as I go. I was thinking of doing another Nano-like month anyway, but was worried that without the support and competition, I might not be able to stay motivated.

We can do a Westeros Writing Month every month!

I've already got a new story itching to be written.

How many of us Nano-ers are actually memebers of the BWB board? Or any other writing boards for that matter?

I'm not a member anywhere, but have been wondering if I should join one. I seem to be doing well enough with lurking, but I won't be able to get any critiques that way.

Fantastic! This has been my best two weeks of writing ever. Even though everything sucks, it sucks noticeably less and less as I go. I was thinking of doing another Nano-like month anyway, but was worried that without the support and competition, I might not be able to stay motivated.

I have to agree. This has done wonders for my writing. For the past two weeks, I have been focused on quantity rather than quality. So most of it is pretty bad, but there is a lot that is very good--far more that is good, I suspect, than I would have been able to produce if I had just focused on quality.

I think that the worst lesson English teachers give their charges is to go for quality over quantity. It's easier for the English teachers, but I think it's ultimately detrimental to the development of young writers.

A Westeros Writing Month would be cool, although I'm not sure if I could keep the focus two months in a row, especially if one of them includes end-of-semester/finals/Christmas. Does anyone else think that January might be a better month for WeWriMo?

As far as NaNoWriMo goes, I confess I have fallen off the band wagon. I had a slight medical emergency at the end of last week involving bare feet and large chunks of glass, net result of which was that I wasn't able to write over the weekend. So I've only reached 20,000, with no way that I'm going to be able to reach 25,000 by the end of the day. I haven't given up, though. I think I can make it up and reach 30,000 by Sunday to get back on schedule.

I have to agree. This has done wonders for my writing. For the past two weeks, I have been focused on quantity rather than quality. So most of it is pretty bad, but there is a lot that is very good--far more that is good, I suspect, than I would have been able to produce if I had just focused on quality.

The way I see it, this being my first real try (yes, I'm brandishing that tid-bit again), the quality was going to be poor anyway. I think that just pushing through, tossing down whatever words come to mind, has even made the quality of it better. Of course, I don't know until I read through it again. And I'm sure it will still be pretty bad.

I think that the worst lesson English teachers give their charges is to go for quality over quantity. It's easier for the English teachers, but I think it's ultimately detrimental to the development of young writers.

Not having taken any writing courses makes it easier. All I have to go on is the advice given by authors on-line or in books. And most of them say not to worry about quality too.

A Westeros Writing Month would be cool, although I'm not sure if I could keep the focus two months in a row, especially if one of them includes end-of-semester/finals/Christmas. Does anyone else think that January might be a better month for WeWriMo?

November is actually a worse month for me. I've got almost a whole week off from work around Thanksgiving, and when I do most of my writing at work... :rolleyes: For Christmas I've got only the one day off.

But if we drop the goal to 1000 words per day, it'll be easier to keep up. Of course, finals will still get in your way, I'd imagine. That's why we should just keep refreshing every month. If you miss December, then you can join us again in January.

As far as NaNoWriMo goes, I confess I have fallen off the band wagon. I had a slight medical emergency at the end of last week involving bare feet and large chunks of glass, net result of which was that I wasn't able to write over the weekend. So I've only reached 20,000, with no way that I'm going to be able to reach 25,000 by the end of the day. I haven't given up, though. I think I can make it up and reach 30,000 by Sunday to get back on schedule.

That's nothing to worry about. A couple of good days will catch you right back up. Or you could go crazy like Nym and finish it in a week. :P

Your killing me.

Your KILLING me.

Awwww, come on...*resurrects with the magical powers of Awesomeness* :smoking:

December or January would be fine with me, but then again maybe it'd be actually better if we did it right in December before the focus on it is lost somewhere because everyone will forget about it.

@Bill: I just signed up for the BWB board a while ago, but I don't know if my account has been activated yet, I need to check. I've been a member there with Faile1987 for a while, when I had the first chapters of the very first and very very different version of Light up there for critic, but I never got any....maybe that's because nobody knew me though :P Or it was because those first chapters weren't really good :P

Anyway, I'm glad everyone is making such great experiences and I'm hopping on the bandwagon. This is the longest piece I've ever written and now 2,540 words before the 50k I know I'll keep going ways past the 50k, looking forward to actually finishing the entire book :D

@Bill: I just signed up for the BWB board a while ago, but I don't know if my account has been activated yet, I need to check. I've been a member there with Faile1987 for a while, when I had the first chapters of the very first and very very different version of Light up there for critic, but I never got any....maybe that's because nobody knew me though :P Or it was because those first chapters weren't really good :P

Do you mean the BWB Writers' Group? If you mean the BWB group on the Nano forum, it might simply mean that everyone is busy writing. ;)

I lost my advantage yesterday, I wrote only 680 word, because my brain was drained, and I fear that I will not add too many words to the 300 I've written this morning, whenever I come home. (Not before 21.00)

Anyway, :cheers: for all the words.

Do you mean the BWB Writers' Group? If you mean the BWB group on the Nano forum, it might simply mean that everyone is busy writing. ;)

No, there's a BWB Writer's Guild page around here (but I lost the link...:() It's a site especially made for people to critique each other's novels and it's been rather cool, but I never got around to do a lot there. So if anyone could provide us with a link, that would be awesome :)

:cheers:

Yes, the writers guild is what I meant. There's a link on the forum pages here, under "Other Forums."

I know we're calling our Nano group BWB as well, and so I wondering how many of us are actually members. I'm not.

I just learned how to put passwords on Word documents. Mwahahahaha! :ninja:

Yeah, I'm having a procrastination filled day. :rolleyes:

Oh, there's nothing wrong with procrastination :D

I do it all the time before, after, between and while writing....

If it weren't for procrastination, I doubt I would have done any writing at all. Most of what I have written has been while procrastinating writing stuff for school...

So for everyone who's as much into procrastinating: Here's the link to the BWB Writer's Group I think it would be awesome if some more people would join so we can actually get the site going again. They just moved so there's not too much business yet but I think it would be awesome if some of us could post their writing there so we can read and critique, because feedback is gooooooood :D

EDIT: Dang, Ebenstone was faster....heh

I've done it! I'm past 25k! :cheers:

Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious that the guy who started Nano can't keep up? :dunce:

EDIT - the new BWB board looks nice. One of the reasons I didn't want to join before was because the format was too awkward.

EDIT again - I've signed up at BWB. Now I just have to wait for them to let me in. Don't know if I'll be posting my Nano story there; I may wait until the next one.

If it weren't for procrastination, I doubt I would have done any writing at all. Most of what I have written has been while procrastinating writing stuff for school...

Absolutely :cheers: The trick to doing anything is making sure you have something else you'd less like to do but should do.

So for everyone who's as much into procrastinating: Here's the link to the BWB Writer's Group I think it would be awesome if some more people would join so we can actually get the site going again. They just moved so there's not too much business yet but I think it would be awesome if some of us could post their writing there so we can read and critique, because feedback is gooooooood :D

EDIT: Dang, Ebenstone was faster....heh

All signed up. :)

I've validated everyone who's signed up to the BwB Writers board. As Nymeria and Ebenstone have said, we recently transferred across from ezboard so this is a brand new board and the more writers who join us the merrier.:) This thread is making me feel even more embarrassed about my lack of progress on my novel in the last year or so.:blush:

I'll give a Westeros Writing Month a try, but I don't know if I can commit to any sort of wordcount. I'm keeping just ahead with Nano but it's a real grind. Good though because I've never written so much so quickly, but I just don't think I could sustain it for another month, especially with the holidays looming and the many days of drunkeness that implies.

So I'll say I'm in, but just committ myself to writing something every day, with no wordcount pressure.

Archived