Controversial movie opinions

Calibandar

Okay, without getting into it too much, think about it, you're Soze, at the end of the movie every law enforcement agency in the world will soon knows what you look like. Because you fucked up with your made up story which a police detective could take a glance at his office wall and figure out it was fake. So how are you this criminal genius again?

If by "every law enforcement agency in the world" you mean "that one guy he was talking to". And God knows how many people are gonna believe him.

They had the sketch from the description given by the Hungarian anyway.

Instead of killing two birds with one stone, he set it up so that two birds killed eachother. Some guys who had screwed him in the past and the other 'Hungarians' (or whatever) who had a guy who knew his identity. His identity still got out, wasn't a full proof plan, but he did manage to take out everyone he wanted taken out.

That there were flaws in his plan doesn't necessarily mean he still isn't 'mastermindie' Generally people who are burnt to cinders die before they can draw pictures. And who knows when a particular cop is gonna take an unhealthy, personal interest in a particular case. He was expecting to get out with those connections 'from on high' before having to concoct any story or even a mention of Kaiser Soze. He simply thought on his feet, using what was available to him, to figure out a story with enough truth to be passable and enough lies to tell them nothing that could hurt him.

As they said, he works through proxies and rarely, if ever, comes up publicly. Now he simply has even more reason to stay hidden. In the end, sure he failed with one major objective. People at least know what he looks like. Doesn't make the film shitty nor does that denote a fatal flaw of any sort. Still one of my favorite films, Spacey before he started sucking.

Okay, without getting into it too much, think about it, you're Soze, at the end of the movie every law enforcement agency in the world will soon knows what you look like. Because you fucked up with your made up story which a police detective could take a glance at his office wall and figure out it was fake. So how are you this criminal genius again?

As EHK says, he makes up the story on the spot when things go bad. It wasn't part of his ingenious plan.

I just don't buy that even under those circumstances, the names he would pick for his made up story would be names on the wall, and run all the risks that would entail

But like I said before, I've gone through this argument a million times already and I don't feel like doing it again. If you can fan-wank it enough for it to make sense to you and enjoy it, go right ahead. I'm not here to ruin your fun. I just can't do it and therefore I don't care for the movie.

I just don't buy that even under those circumstances, the names he would pick for his made up story would be names on the wall, and run all the risks that would entail

But like I said before, I've gone through this argument a million times already and I don't feel like doing it again. If you can fan-wank it enough for it to make sense to you and enjoy it, go right ahead. I'm not here to ruin your fun. I just can't do it and therefore I don't care for the movie.

Fair enough.

Regardless, it's still not a "plot hole that you can drive a truck through", seeing as there are plenty of reasonable interpretations.

At the end, I just assumed that Soze was going to disappear and nobody was going to see him again. He's been able to stay hidden for that long, so much so that he's more myth than anything else, why wouldn't he be able to do it again? Everybody could start looking for him, but that doesn't mean that they'll be able to find him. Hell, he probably had a bunch of people and authorities after him when he first went into hiding and he wasn't caught then. I really don't see how that's much of a plot hole.

Fellowship of the Ring was the greatest thing ever shown on the big screen.

Narnia blows away the other two Lord of the Rings films.

There is only 1 movie I can say that I hate and that movie is American Beauty-I really have no idea why.

The 1st 2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movies are awesome. Action, comdey, neat story, song and dance numbers...It has everything.

3oo wasn't amazing. It was just an ok movie

Hoosiers is the best movie ever.

Still one of my favorite films, Spacey before he started sucking.

I would pinpoint that divide to be in 2000, starting with Pay it Forward and following with K-Pax, The Life of David Gale, and Superman Returns (which I personally thought sucked hard all around).

Has anybody ever seen Ordinary Decent Criminal? Was that any good? Because if so, it would mess up my timeline of Kevin Spacey suckitude. It's already a little weak because of The Shipping News, but his performance was kinda weak in that even if it was a really good movie.

Oh I don't hate Costner. I just don't think he's necessarily 'manly'. I can watch and enjoy most of Waterworld. And Bull Durham is one of the best sports movies ever made. Honestly, the films of his I find unwatchable (not counting romcoms, which are by definition unwatchable...and no, Bull is NOT a romcom...its a sports movie) are Dances with Wolves and The postman. I can usually give it a go with anything else he's done, even if some of it is a bit subpar.

For the record Robin Hood was my favorite film ever when it came out. (I was 11) That lasted until a few months later when Terminator 2 came out. It (R-hood) was ABSOLUTELY not as good as remembered when I bought the DVD on a discount rack 10+ years later. Still watchable, but should have let the memories be on that one.

I agree on the 'everyman' aspect of Costner, but I don't think Crowe is some head in the clouds, living the life movie-star. Everything about him says that he's very serious and extremely intense about his work. He behaves more like an obsessed artist rather a 'star'. His obsession and intensity translates into the same sort of ego that alot of film-stars has, but he gets there for very different reasons I think. Anyway, gotta admire that sort of passion at the very least.

I've given all the defenses of Master and Commander I'm gonna give. Brilliant film, one of my new favorites, and all the haters can suck my nuts. :)

..................................It's like I don't even know you anymore...................................

Yes, I loved Robin Hood when I was a kid. I think it was mainly Alan Rickman's snark. Also the scene where Morgan Freeman burst through the door and throws a giant scimitar into an old woman pinning her against the wall. What kid could resist that! :lol: Btw, I think Christian Slater was accentless in that too if I recall, though it might have been fun if he had tried heh. Its been a few years though and i'm not in a hurry to see it. Seeing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie again taught me not to make that mistake.

It takes him just a few minutes of casually perusing the wall to come up with the few names he needs, none of which are necessarily going to stick out in someone's mind that they saw them before on their wall. Everything sounds logical and fits together. Furthermore, do you think the detective is going to be focused on ANYTHING but what Verbal was saying, he thinks Verbal is an idiot and not smart enough to fool him. The other main point I'd make is I think much of that story and speaking to the cop was hubris. Why not do it? He knows he won't hurt himself, why not torture a cop by feeding him garbage and then easily slipping through his fingers.

Has anybody ever seen Ordinary Decent Criminal? Was that any good? Because if so, it would mess up my timeline of Kevin Spacey suckitude. It's already a little weak because of The Shipping News, but his performance was kinda weak in that even if it was a really good movie.

It's a pretty lame movie, alright. Made all the worse because the character and events are based on the same real-life person who The General, which was sublime, was about (although Ordinary Decent Criminal used different names and it was a lot more fictionalised than The General.

Brendan Gleeson was awesome in that movie.

Btw, I think Christian Slater was accentless in that too if I recall, though it might have been fun if he had tried heh.

Christian Slater used an English accent in Prince of Thieves.

It was crap, but at least it wasn't so thick as to be too grating or distracting

It takes him just a few minutes of casually perusing the wall to come up with the few names he needs, none of which are necessarily going to stick out in someone's mind that they saw them before on their wall. Everything sounds logical and fits together. Furthermore, do you think the detective is going to be focused on ANYTHING but what Verbal was saying, he thinks Verbal is an idiot and not smart enough to fool him. The other main point I'd make is I think much of that story and speaking to the cop was hubris. Why not do it? He knows he won't hurt himself, why not torture a cop by feeding him garbage and then easily slipping through his fingers.

Right and its easier to do it that way anyway. Try making up a bunch of names on the spot... its really hard to do. Using the wall he didn't have to think about it and could concentrate on making sure the details of his story were what he wanted them to be.

• 1 year later...

Archived