ADWD Release Date Part 2

JCrew

What's unfair about it? ADwD would make a beguiling end to the series, definitely worth talking about for decades. Just think of it as quantum storytelling, in the fashion of Schroedinger's cat, suspended eternally in the state between resolved and unresolved.

Were I GRRM, I think I'd even go so far as to end it with just a random half sentence, like:

"Daenerys looked up as Barristan entered the din"

This series will end unfinished with the 5th book. Wait for it.

I wouldn't say that unequivocally but I think it's certainly possible.

The big hurdle with AFFC was getting the five year gap in and telling the story of Dorne's reaction to Oberyn's death and the Iron Islands Kingsmoot. I think the big hurdle with the TWOW will be getting all the POV's back in one book.

Jon, Dany, Bran: I think all three of these characters will be battling it out against the Others till the last few chapters of ADOS so you can't drop them.

Tyrion: Tyrion seems expendable after he does his little thing that he knows about but as he is GRRM's favorite I see him living till near the end too.

Cersei: My theory is she has to get out of her current jam so the younger, more beautiful queen (Dany) can cast her down so I think she'll last into some point in TWOW and won't be resolved at the end of ADWD if George writes those "if I have room" chapters.

Jaime: Another theory, he has to die defending King Tommen, or at least die at Dany's hands. So TWOW for him too.

Sansa: Maybe she can die in LF's plotting, though that is not the arc I hoped for her. But she is in TWOW at least.

Arya: I figure she has got to have some impact on one of the main storylines. Indefinitely in the story.

Davos: Hopefully he dies in ADWD, if only to cut down on POVs.

Samwell: No idea here.

Asha, Theon: Hopefully they croak in ADWD.

Victarion: Euron betrays him and Dany kills him or Dany just kills him. Either way, hope he's gone in ADWD.

Quentyn: One and done.

Aeron, Areo: Written out already, imo.

Brienne: Maybe Jaime's end. That would kill 2 birds with one stone.

There are alot of POVs right now. It is impossible to tell without ADWD, but my gut feeling is that George should pick some convenient plot break in TWOW and make it two books. I know it's two books but I have the feeling picking a spot early will be a lot quicker than struggling to cram it all into one.

What's unfair about it? ADwD would make a beguiling end to the series, definitely worth talking about for decades. Just think of it as quantum storytelling, in the fashion of Schroedinger's cat, suspended eternally in the state between resolved and unresolved.

Were I GRRM, I think I'd even go so far as to end it with just a random half sentence, like:

"Daenerys looked up as Barristan entered the din"

:lol: that would so completely frustrating and awesome.

I don't see it happening.

I could however easily see GRRM take hiatus of several years after ADWD where he doesn't even try to write TWoW, then have some sorta 'experience' (like Steven King) or just decide he's ready to return to Westeros and finally finish off the series; and unlike the Dark Tower, it won't suck.

All I know though is that I started reading aSoIaF in late 1999 so I've been waiting a while to see how things turn out. And after AFFC I was ready to wait for as long as I had too, I put it out of my mind and wouldn't think about it or check the book forums here until Dance came out. But then I made the mistake of rereading Feast while I was sick a couple weeks ago, and now I'm right back in Westeros and can't get it out of my head again; so now I need my fix... BADLY.

don't forget the surprise epilogue POV:

Jorah

... her majesty is a pretty nice girl, someday I'm gonna make her mine, oh yeah, someday I'm gonna make her mine.

So perhaps the whole of the last book could be a George RR Martin production as an homage to something produced by George Martin?

Very interesting.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so in his latest not-a-blog-post George implies that Tyrion has been giving him some trouble lately. In a post a few weeks back I beleive he also said that he'd been mainly working on Tyrion. That doesn't mean anything in itself-he could have stopped working on Tyrion and only recently come back to him-but I'm still going to take a more pessimisitc outlook on it. He's said several times in the past that Tyrion is the easiest character for him to write so the fact that Tyrion of all characters is giving him so much trouble doesn't bode well for a soon-ish release date (IE: late 2008). Then again, as always, I'm talking out of my ass and I only half believe this.

I love this ritual that's developed where every ambiguous bit of information from a not-a-blog post is used to confirm whatever optimistic or pessimistic conclusion one already holds. Just to be arbitrary, I choose to believe that his most recent post is indication that he's going to finish the book before New Year's but refuse to publish it until the Jets win the Super Bowl.

In a more direct response to your post, All-for-Joffrey, George has said before that Tyrion has become a harder character for him to write, primarily because he wants to acknowledge that what Tyrion's been through has changed him in not necessarily pretty ways without letting the character become completely unsympathetic. Also, we don't know the degree to which George's difficulties with Tyrion are the result of plot issues, not character issues; it may be that Tyrion was ripped out of the chapter that George mentioned because he didn't think Tyrion should know whatever it is that he would have learned in that scene, for example.

Just to be arbitrary, I choose to believe that his most recent post is indication that he's going to finish the book before New Year's but refuse to publish it until the Jets win the Super Bowl.

What if the Jets don't win the Super Bowl? What if they have a bad run of several years? Should I start sacrificing to the NFL gods, just in case? ;)

Archived