Character Name Pronunciations

Starkaryan

@ OP

I think "Jaime"'s pronunciation should be the foremost subject of debate, yet you didn't include him. :)

I see that a lot of you are pronouncing the "ae" in the names of various Targaryens as "ay". I think it should be just a strong "e", like in "den".

I pronounce Tywin as Tow-in where 'tow' is like the first part of 'towel'. It seems to me vaguely Welsh. Tyrion I say 'Ti-rion' which again seems Welsh to me.

I say 'Myr' as 'mere'

I can't reconcile with 'Seer-say' for Cersei any more than I could for 'Cirdan' the shipwright as 'Kir-dan'. I say 'Curse-ay' (like curse and 'ay' like 'hay'), if forced I would say 'Sir-see'

It must have a lot to do with where you're from too. Some Americans and Australians would pronounce the name Danny as Denny, so perhaps that explains the variationson the 'ae'? I'd say it as 'aye' but I don't like it like that in Daenerys; De-neris sounds better than 'Die-nigh-ris'.

Then again although I say 'Shy' for Shae, 'Shay' isn't so bad.

I suppose it's like Latin or Greek. How would people say Thermopylae?

Because I'm familiar with Welsh pronunciations (which often confound non-Welsh people) I tend to say things that look vaguely Welsh/Celtic as they'd be pronounced if they were. For example, in Wales there's a River Tywi which I hear pronounced 'tow-e/tow-ee'; the 'tow' like Towel, which is how I say Tywin thus.

Just a few more I forgot from the first go round:

Myrcella: Mur-sull-uh

Tommen: Tom-In

Oberyn: Oh-Bear-In

Loras: Lore-Us

Aemon: Ay-Mon

Asha: Ay-Shuh

Theon: Thee (rhymes with flea or bee) Uhn

Balon: Bay-Luhn

Victarion: Vic-Tair-Ee-Uhn

Aeron: Ay-Run

And the big one:

Euron: You-Ron (it actually sounded like another word for bodily excrements the first few times I read it until I really thought about)

Surnames:

Baratheon: Buh-Wrath-Ee-Uhn

Lannister: Lan-Uh-Stir

Tyrell: Tie-Rail

Martell: Just like it looks: Mar-Tell

Targaryen: Tar-Gar-Yuhn

• 1 month later...

Catelyn - kate-lyn

Daenerys - die-nar-ess

Gendry - hard G

Rickon - ree-kon

Tyrion - tear-ree-un

Jalbhar Xho - jalabar zho

Xaro Xhoan Daxos - zharo-zhaon-daksos

Lyanna - lie-anna

Mrycella - mur-sella

Cersai - ser-sai

Davos - dah-vos

and the Damp Hair thing, wasn't he bald.

Lysa - lie-za

Thoros of Myr - thor-os of mur

• 3 weeks later...
My best transcriptions of what the audiobook readers say and what GRRM has been recorded saying are at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice...iation_of_names

I think there is a mistake on that listing. When I was writing my baby name book I included Arya, and someone directly asked GRRM for me how he pronounced the name, and I was told he said "ARE-yuh" in 2 syllables, with the "y" as a consonant. This is NOT the same as "like the English word aria, as stated on Wikipedia.

• 3 weeks later...

The four of us using this sign-in found endless possible variations of most names! We use English, French, Italian and Chinese pronounciations as it suits us, and agree to differ on most names.

We all think we recognise GRRM jokes, and pronounce these in English, eg Ilyn Payne (Ill in Pain) , and of course, Xhondo!

I think there is a mistake on that listing. When I was writing my baby name book I included Arya, and someone directly asked GRRM for me how he pronounced the name, and I was told he said "ARE-yuh" in 2 syllables, with the "y" as a consonant. This is NOT the same as "like the English word aria, as stated on Wikipedia.

I have heard "ARE-yuh" too at signings and parties.

• 10 months later...

Well, don't forget that Catelyn's nickname is "Cat", so that indicates to me that her name should be pronounced "cat-e-lyn"

Catelyn: "Kate-lynn" and "Cat-a-lynn" lol I flip flop :/

Daenerys: Duh-Nairy-is could be way off though

Gendry: Jendry

Rickon: Rick-on

Tyrion: Tear-e-in

Jalabhar Xho and Xaro Xhoan Daxos: lol I don't even try

Lyanna: Lee-ah-na

Myrcella: Mirsella

Cersei: Ser-see

Davos: Dave-os

Lysa: Lisa

Thoros of Myr: For Myr I read Meer

Catelyn - kate-lyn

Daenerys - day-nare-ees

Gendry - Gin-dree

Rickon - rick-on

Tyrion - tear-ee-un

Jalbhar Xho - Jal-a-bar Ju(like the begining of jous in au jous)-o

Xaro Xhoan Daxos - Ja-ar-o ju-ho-an dack-zose

Lyanna - lee-on-uh

Mrycella - meer-cell-a

Cersei - ser-see

Davos - Da-Vose

Lysa - lie-sa

Thoros of Myr - thor-ose of meer

arya - are-eye-uh

jaime - jay-me

Tommen - Toe-men

Oberyn - Oh-Burr-on

Loras - Lore-iss

Aemon - A-Mon

Asha - Ah-Sha

Theon - Th-hey-on

Balon - Bay-Luhn

Victarion - Vic-Tare-Ee-on

Aeron - Aaron

Euron - Urine or you're-on

Tywin - Tie-win

Baratheon - At first buh-RAH-the-OHN, but after I noticed the last two syllables were like the name 'Theon' I switched to BAH-ruh-THE-ohn.

Catelyn - CAT-lyn

Lyanna - LIE-ann-ah

Arya - AR-yuh

Tyrion - At first TIE-rien, now TEAR-ien

Jaime - JAY-me

Cersei - SEER-see

Tommen - TOM-en

Loras - LORE-ahs

Davos - DAV-os

Balon - BAHL-ohn

Aeron - AIR-ee-ohn

Euron - YOUR-ohn

Aemon - AY-mon

Rhaegar - RAY-gar

Aha - ASH-uh

Myr - MY-er

Catelyn: Kate-lynn

Daenerys: Dane-er-iss

Gendry: Gend-ree hard G

Rickon: Rick-in

Tyrion: This one is weird, for some reason whenever his last name is included I hear Tee-ree-own but whenever it is just his first name I hear Tee-ree-in

Jalabhar Xho and Xaro Xhoan Daxos- ja-la-bar zho Zaro Zoan Dax-ose(like verbose)

Lyanna: Lee-anna

Myrcella: Mer-sell-uh

Cersei: Ser-see

Lollys and Falyse and Selyse: Loll-iss Fal-eese Sell-eese

Davos: Dave-ose

Lysa: Lisa

Thoros of Myr: Thor-ose of mer

Baratheon: Bar-aye-thee-un

Oberyn: Obe-er-in

Loras: Lore-ass

Aemon: Ay-Mun

Asha: Ash-uh

Theon: Thee-on

Balon: Bal(Bal sounds like the first part of Alan)-in

Arya- Are-yuh

Victarion - Vic-Tare-Ee-in

I've mostly pronounced it as the general descriptions from GRRM have been (I've only seen them as text though) but to me an important difference is how you pronounce certain letters etc, i.e. stuff you need phonetic spelling to do (something I haven't mastered myself so I'm terrible at describing it). In most names I don't think the average American pronunciation of the letter 'a' is suitable for a fantasy setting. For example 'Loras' sounds too whiny if you pronounce it as Americans pronounce 'ass.' I prefer it as it's pronounced in the Swedish or German 'ja' (which means 'yes,' an example I think most have a clue about). That makes it sound older and thus imo more fitting for fantasy, an opinion that I probably got from Tolkien who had extremely good pronunciations for his names. It's the same as that Elijah Wood's pronunciation of Gandalf was bad and that Christopher Lee's was perfect.

My hope is thus that they use a more European model for the names since that's just better in my tastes. There are some exceptions though, like that I for example think that Catelyn always sounded best as Kate-lynn.

While interesting, that’s irrelevant for Wikipedia. GRRM himself couldn’t add that entry. Wikipedia needs to contain information that is verifiable. So I (as a Wikipedia editor) can add information about how audiobook reader X pronounces Y, because you could verify it. (I also tried to transcribe those of GRRM’s pronounciates that are recorded in audio interviews.)

But you cannot add the (potentially more interesting) information about how you heard GRRM say it, because I cannot verify it.

What you could do is set up a website called “Ordmond’s pronounciations of GRRM characters based on what he heard GRRM sayâ€. Then you (or I) could add that information to Wikipedia under the headline “This is how Ormond says it should be pronouncedâ€, with a link to your website.

But neither you, or I, or even GRRM, could just add unverifiable information about pronunciation.

To make this completely clear: Verifiablity not truth, for better or for worse, is the dogma of Wikipedia. It’s supposed to be a tertiary source, and may not contain primary information, no matter its quality.

Catelyn: "Cat-a-lynn" (It's most likely Katelyn, though)

Daenerys:"Day-nerees," (I don't know why)

Gendry: with a hard g as in "gone"

Rickon: "Rick-on"

Tyrion: T-eye- reeon.

Jalabhar Xho and Xaro Xhoan Daxos: Jalabar Zo

Lyanna: "Lee-ah-na"

Myrcella: "Mirsella"

Cersei: "Ser-see"

Lollys and Falyse and Selyse: do they all rhyme? Yep

Davos: "Dah-vos"

Lysa: "Liza" with a long i

Thoros of Myr: I hear the country sounding like "Mer" but when it talks of things like the Myrish man or the Myrish lace, I hear "My-rish"... (me too)

There is no debate. My pronunciations are the correct ones. End of story.

Catelyn: Kate-lin

Daenerys: Day-nair-ease

Gendry: Gen(hard g)-dree

Rickon: Rick-uhn

Tyrion: Teer-ee-uhn

Tywin: Tie-win

Myrcella: Mur-sella

Cersei: Sir-see

Lyanna: Lee-anna

Lollys: Lawl-ease

Davos: Da-vose

Lysa: Lie-suh

Myr: Mur

Baratheon: Bar-ath-ee-on

Oberyn: Oh-bear-in

Aemon: Ay-Mon

Asha: Ash-uh

Theon: Thee-on

Balon: Bal(Bal sounds like the first part of Alan)-on

Arya- Are-yuh

Euron: Yur-on (not "Yur-in" so it sounds like piss)

Jaime: Jay-mee (end of story. He's a white guy not a Mexican)

Targaryen: just like it sounds: Tar-Gar(like "car" but with a hard g)-Yen

Any other pronunciations are wrong and make one sound like a fool when spoken.

Archived