Goodkind XXXI: We read it so you don't have to

Albert

No, he's pretty cool if you enjoy horrible prose, flat characters, internal inconsistencies, plot contrivances, ham-fisted attempts at philosophy, and a healthy dose of rape, almost-rape, and monster-rape.

I have read i of the 100 threads dedicated to him hear but I still dont get what is so bad about him. Why do you guys hate him so much? Is he that bad of a writer?

What? There are threads here dedicated to Goodkind? People don't like him? Huh...

I have read i of the 100 threads dedicated to him hear but I still dont get what is so bad about him. Why do you guys hate him so much? Is he that bad of a writer?

There are a few reasons that make him a prime target on these boards. First, yes, he's a pretty bad writer. I have not read much of his work, but the style of the stuff that I did read reminds me most of first drafts of my own stories in high school (and English was my worst major subject). But there are plenty of bad writers in the world and this alone is not enough to account for the abuse he is subjected to here.

Second, Goodkind tries to integrate his ideology into his writing. Whether with ideology, religion, philosophy or anything else, this is quite difficult to do. You don't want the reader to feel like you're beating him over the head with it and you don't want it to get in the way of the story, but it still has to come across somehow. It has been done before with various degrees of success, but it is a task for a master and Goodkind comes up woefully short. To make matters worse, he makes frequent use of both titillating and gruesome descriptions while trying to get the ideology across and the result is simply asking for ridicule.

Third, this board is dedicated to George Martin's ASOIAF series which specializes in shades of gray. Most of the time, the actions of the main villains of Martin's series are, at the very least, understandable (at most, the villains get to present things from their own perspective and essentially become heroes of their own right). The heroes are flawed characters and they pay for their flaws as often as the villains pay for theirs. Goodkind is exactly the opposite of that -- his hero is right and his villains are wrong -- it's as simple as that. Even when the hero does things that are atrocious by the standards of many cultures, the author does not consider the moral implications. In short, Goodkind's books suffer from an excess of moral clarity.

Finally, by American standards, this board is quite liberal. The boarders probably wouldn't describe themselves as too far left in where they come from, but because there is a substantial number of people here from Europe, Australia, Canada, South America and so on, it comes out looking very liberal for an American. Many of Goodkind's ideas are on the opposite side of the spectrum and combined with the points above, this yields the twenty-odd Goodkind threads.

I think you ought to help me with my Serbian by translating that story into it, so I could have a parallel text. Would you be such a dear and do that for me, please? :)

Hate him? I love him!

He's my hero messiah and saviour.

Ive read 10 of his books (still waiting on the library to get the last ones, mind the do not feed sign)

I love straw men, love the Wizard of Oz

I love great literature: odd looking vine, chicken that was not a chicken.

I love Jibber jabber, I speak jibber jabber too!

In this time of lose sexual morals I love the fact that the heroin only gets almost raped

I love that everybody laughed

should I go on?

Honestly I don't hate the guy ( I can't say I hate any author and I may even have reason to hate one of two), I'd read his if I enjoyed them but I really never had some I stopped. I do think he says some pretty outlandish shit, but I know my share of strange folks myself who I don't hate (and who have certainly done much worse than be a source of comedy on the internet). A lot of authors I enjoy and support say stuff I don't agree with.

He does get a hell of of coverage though and he kind of makes me think he is the Rob Liefeld of the fantasy community (but now that I think about it that comparison kind of falls apart) where he just says dumb shit to see how many people will buy it.

I think anytime you take the stance that you don't write fantasy and you clearly do you are going to give people an initial reason for people to say something about you in this community. We can accept it (just a little bit)from outstanding authors like Atwood to a point I think, but Goodkind is a much easier target considering his work and and other stances.

Archived