footie^3 with the feet

Xray the Enforcer

I didn't see the tackle properly. Just one very quick replay on the telly news last night so don't really have an opinion on whether the red card was justified.

But I found it amusing this morning that Gus Poyet was complaining that the ref checked with the fourth official to get his opinion before deciding to card Keane.

Poyet said something like 'We don't know who was actually reffing the game because he asked the 4O before making the call.'

You just can't win as a ref. Most of the time they get slated for not checking with a linesman or the 4O before making a big call.

This time, he does seek another official's view on an important decision and gets slagged for it. :rolleyes:

BTW, I giggled to myself when I saw the result, thinking how things would be in the Ser Sean/Silanah household last night... :P

Vestrit,

I believe the argument was that the referee was in a much better position to make the decision than the linesman was, so Poyet doesn't understand why the referee would consult with the linesman if there's no better information he can get from him.

When people complain about the referee not consulting the linesman, it's usually because the linesman is in a better position than the referee to see what happened, so they should be consulted.

Even Graham Poll (of all people) thinks that the ref might not have done the right thing in talking to the linesman:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/e...rem/7124067.stm

Dowd has insisted that it was his decision alone and he was simply informing fourth official Uriah Rennie.

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll told BBC Radio Five Live: "Phil leads people to think that he's consulting with the fourth official.

"He did the same at Coventy when he sent off Michael Mifsud three weeks ago. And Iain Dowie the Coventry manager accused him of the same thing.

"So he needs to look at what he's doing. That isn't what happened, I know that absolutely certainly.

"He decided it was red himself but his body motion would lead people to think otherwise," added Poll.

It was only Keane's second red card in his career.

Definitely not a red card. But his second foot came up after he won the ball, so you can see how the mistake was made. I dont see a problem with telling the fourth official there's going to be a sending off, but it might help if it didnt look so much like he was having an in depth discussion. :P

Also, as the MoTD pundits pointed out later, Diouf made a tackle in the Bolton game that was much worse,and only got a yellow.

Corinthians has been relegated - oh dear. What a complete mess ( russian mafia money laundering is a bad bad thing to mess with), and now even football, pity. On other news on the paper, also depressing in a way, Mário Jardel´s career is, at age 34 ( which probably is more like 40 for all the places he can not go back and people not talking to him), a couple weeks ago his coach threatened to fire him, now he is injured. I did not *like* him at all, a very hard player to find likeable but there is like a whole self-fulfilled tragedy on his story. Depression, gambling addiction, complicated ego, drug trafficking ( assume all alleged, though I think he confessed it himself) and one of the great goal finishers ever. Seeing a replay of his goals, you keep going "oh, come on, accident, does not count", "accident", "stumbled", "did not mean it", "what? that is impossible", "stumble" but his stats when he played in Portugal are (probably? anybody knows?) pretty much unprecedented in modern football, and in a decent-ish league ( with CL and such matches).

Saw most of tonight´s Man Utd game. I truly really don´t get the whole diving/penaltykick thing over there - refereeing is quite different over there, but goalkeepers are not supposed to go like that at people´s legs! also not sure what it is with Tevez and Rooney, they play like they are in love with each other, which is perhaps a good thing for their club, but more than no chemistry between Ronaldo and Tevez but it looks to me that Tevez is not passing the ball to Cristiano Ronaldo anywhere close to goal, somebody count those stats because it is obvious just like the the messi/henry thing - it´s not going to matter in this game or this sort of game, but in some future matches that is going to cost because from my point of view, the great part of Man Utd attack is that on the area every one of them is passing the ball to another and going after every lose one. And Giggs, still pretty awesome. Old rockers indeed.

The Welsh have a handy knack for having at least one awesome player in their ranks since I've been following football - even though they are such a small country (population wise) and football is only their second sport of choice (behind Rugby).

So Giggs is gone - but you don't pay £10m for a 17 year old unless he's special (Tottenham with Bale).

OK, so I guess that's only 2 players and one has been playing almost as long as I've been alive. :unsure:

But I stand by my point! :P

I don´t know Bale, or not yet :P I won´t go just for price ( some prices are very silly particularly in the premiership) but comparing to Ryan Giggs, now makes me curious...

Dunno why Milan, Benfica and the rest are playing today, to try to avoid winter in Ukraine? *sigh* it is looking terrible! :o If they moved it earlier in the calendar for it, they might have played it a couple hours earlier as well. Splitting the soviet union, all respect to democracy and that stuff :P was really annoying from an international football point of view ;)

Talking of cold, not sure what is going on with Manchester United, but national genereralizations are not what they used to, can somebody figure out how it´s possible that an englishman and an argentinean are wearing gloves ( and by the look of it, tshirts under the jersey) and the portuguese ( the southernmost possible a portuguese can be. They don´t have weather over there, just altitude) and the brazillian are not? weird...

Oh, good thing you mentioned it. Didn't know anyone was playing tonight. Guess I'll watch the Milan - Celtic match then.

pfh :leer: go ahead. Both sides just need a tie. Milan at the San Siro just needing a tie, against an adversary which just needs a tie. unless one has a massive crush on Paolo Maldini ( I do) who probably should not be risked, probably not a good idea. BTW I really got to protest against this video I saw of the results of the Ballon d Or votes, they pass from a close up of Maldini´s face with the cup to a close up of frank Ribery´s face. I am traumatized still and it was like 2 days ago. You got to make these closeups things gradually, transition like, slowly...

Well, really, Giggs and Bale aren't that similar. But they:

- Are both Welsh.

- Both play on the left.

- Both can hit a good free kick (Bale especially so).

And I'm shocked the FA didn't overturn Keane's red card. It's a farce. And this is coming from a Gooner.

How did the game go Squid? i guess Pippo was just too selfish to hold himself and really wanted to break that record.

On the ukraine game *everybody* was wearing gloves and thick jerseys underneath and some woollen hats and it looked to me like Lucarelli was wearing a sort of scarf/wrap thingie around his neck. Crazy. is just not natural... But yay.

On the soap opera which is Barcelona, a couple good ones. First Deco was back in training today and had a fit, he wanted to get a medical checkup before playing the practice match, but the medics were ignoring him to be around Thierry Henry who was doing some routine thing and would not play. Now Deco previously had got permission to get a portuguese federation physio to be the one preparing his recovery, in Brasil actually, so probably does not like them very much. T Henry is supposed to not be very welcomed yet by other players, and Deco is in any place very influential in the locker room. And Ronaldinho´s brother/agent has been making noises that Ronaldinho might invoke a special clause in his contract and revoke it if unhappy with the way he is being used. Soap opera isn´t it? Worrying about the medical department though, they do seem to have had a lot of injuries in the last couple years, not sure if more than statistical average.

So Van Basten has made himself sort of a lame-duck manager for the Holland side; will this hurt his authority with his players (such as it was, anyway)?

ETA: Actually, I guess this is more of a "retirement" announcement than a "they told me to resign, or they'd fire me" announcement, so I guess it won't really undermine his authority. Will it be a significant distraction for the Dutch, though? (I.e, more pressure to win a last one for him, and speculation on who his replacement will be.)

Nah, wasn't his selfishness that made the goal that time. It was Cafu. :P

What is he now? 38?

I think Pippo does not respect the fine art of an italian tie enough. Even with Cafu´s help he could have let it go. Did you see how Kaká screwed up his own goal attempt? a subtle delay of half a second and it was enough.... Cafu, hmm let me check, 37. Milan´s squad is crazy. People below 30 years of age, they got Kaká who is around 25, Gourcuff who ( poor kid, totally wasted, he would far better off at Rennes or Atalanta playing) is maybe 21ish and now the ahem second(fourth?! third?) coming and improved version of Ronaldo which is 18 year old Alexandre Pato ( let the kid play a few games, before saying such things!). But it´s a crazily old team and not sure how renewal there world

Was Lucarelli the guy sho scored the penalty? He had that gigantic scarf thing on.

yes. it was apparently -10 degrees :stunned: and players ( and Rui Costa hardly ever complains about anything) are saying it was torture, feet frozen and losing sensibility. Can´t imagine the fans either...

and regarding the matchfixing games being investigated, oh my! a uefa cup with hamburg ( hi jon!), the liverpool 8-0 result, http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=503404 ( that Hamburg game ending 4-0 apparently involved a minute 90 goal and an own goal...)

Archived