December Reading Thread

Larry.

So, it's December. New month, new reading thread where you can list books you plan on reading/re-reading, discuss books that you just finished reading, or compose haiku and/or limericks in lieu of lengthy discussion.

As for myself, I am continuing my re-reads of Gene Wolfe, starting with the Long Sun series, then the Short Sun, the Soldier novels, then some stand-alones or story collections before I read the Wizard-Knight duology again.

Oh, and I'll also read for the first time Jack Vance's Dying Earth and Lyonesse novels.

And maybe I'll compose a poem using hexameters to describe the experience.

You. What the hell are you reading this month?

Still working on Acacia... this one's been kind of rough. It just doesn't inspire me to read, but I'll get through it. He really like to tell you about conversations rather than actually presenting the dialogue, and that is damned annoying (he also ends his sentences in prepositions...). I can't recall reading another that writes in this manner, and for that I am glad. It has gotten better as I've entered part two.

2/3 into Black Man.

I am afraid Sci-Fi is not for me. I really like the story and the thriller side of it but all these nano-carbo-tech-future technologies/gadgets etc do not impress me at all. All political discussions are utterly borring :( Don't think it is Morgan's fault. More likely Sci-Fi is not my gengre.

Just finished The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, i throughly enjoyed this book well written and funny. I am looking forward to reading the next one.

Have started to read Gardens of the moon by Steven Erikson & also Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, so far both are keeping me entertained but RSuRS is the better read. Well we just have to wait and see which is the better book after I have finished both!

2/3 into Black Man.

I am afraid Sci-Fi is not for me. I really like the story and the thriller side of it but all these nano-carbo-tech-future technologies/gadgets etc do not impress me at all. All political discussions are utterly borring :( Don't think it is Morgan's fault. More likely Sci-Fi is not my gengre.

I liked Black Man, but I felt that exact way about Neuromancer. The hard science fiction stories are not the way to go when breaking into the genre imo (or at least getting back in after a few years hiatus as was my case with Neuromancer).

Try Old Man's War before you give up on the genre. The technology is explained more fully, simply and it makes you think "This is pretty neat, I wonder if they'll actually have this some day." The story is also less dense which makes it a good for transition into the genre. I was much better prepared for stories like Black Man afterward (though you may still not like them).

Plowing through All Quiet on the Western Front. I don't usually like novels this old (1920's, I believe), but this is quite good. The narrative (a few strange words notwithstanding) doesn't sound antiquated at all. It's also very depressing, and I hear the last chapter is really rough--I can't wait :)

After that...well, I don't know. Maybe A Fire Upon the Deep or A Farewell to Arms or River of Gods or Declare.

Just started reading Iain M Banks - Consider Phleabus. First Banks book I've read and I gotta say im really impressed. So far so good.(got all the other Culture books waiting to be read as well). Whats everybody else's favour Banks book?

I haven't read them all yet, but so far I'd say Use of Weapons is the best followed by The Player of Games and Excession. I might try reading the remaining Culture books I haven't read before the new one, Matter is released next year.

After that...well, I don't know. Maybe A Fire Upon the Deep or A Farewell to Arms or River of Gods or Declare.

You can't really go wrong with a set of choices like that.

I just started

*drumroll*

Weis/Hickman's Dragons of Autumn Twilight!

Yay for mindless fun!

I'm a total D&D-novels-noob (!) and felt like reading something light, fast and entertaining. So far I think it's pretty bad but loads of fun at the same time (am I making any sense?). Man, I would've loved this stuff at age thirteen.

Not sure what I'm gonna read afterwards, probably Elantris. I keep hearing good things about it.

Last night I finished The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. I really, really liked this book. I can see why he's such a big deal in Poland and I can't wait until Blood of Elves comes out next year. Full review here here.

Going to read The Orphan's Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice by Catherynne Valente. I really liked the first one so I imagine this book will be good too. After that I may start Tim Powers (I have five of his books) or maybe start on Wildcards.

Just started reading Iain M Banks - Consider Phleabus. First Banks book I've read and I gotta say im really impressed. So far so good.(got all the other Culture books waiting to be read as well). Whats everybody else's favour Banks book?

I read The Player of Games and Use of Weapons from Banks, besides Consider Phlebas. Of those two, UoW is the more impressive novel in many ways, but TPoG is easier to get into and more likeable (especially if you're a gamer). Overall, both are very, very good books. I rate Banks very highly, and will read the rest of his stuff eventually.

Finished The Devil in the Dust and The Tower of the King's Daughter by Chaz Brenchley. One book in the UK, two books in the US. :rolleyes:

Loved both. The two main characters are very well drawn, though I found Marron a bit more interesting. Worldbuilding is based on the Crusader states in and around Jerusalem, but despite being an historical analogue is well fleshed out beyond that. Brenchley throws in some nice touches with the theology that I particularly appreciated. My only complaint here is that references to the world beyond (the France-analogue especially) are vague and can get confusing. The plot goes along at a relatively slow pace, but never meanders off into meaningless filler. The ending of the first book (and the beginning of the second) is quite touching, and the ending of the second is at once terrifying and awesome. A couple of warnings. One: if you had trouble with Jaime tossing Bran out the window, the beginning of the first book might be a bit daunting. Continue reading anyway, it's not a trend. Two: both books, but the second especially, have the gay. Naturally, this is an added bonus for me, but may not work the same way for you. Reader discretion is advised.

Currently, I'm waiting on the third and fourth books to arrive on my doorstep. Impatiently so.

Just started the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. Picked up the first three books in the compilation THE BOOK OF JHEREG. So far so good. I just started the second book, and have noticed that this series was not written chronologically, which is my only complaint. Book 2 occurs quite a bit earlier than book 1. The main character, Vlad Taltos, definitely has the same likable qualities as Corwin from Zelazny's AMBER. The world building and plots are pretty good, each book being virtually stand alone. Look forward to picking up the rest of his books in the compilations THE BOOK OF TALTOS and THE BOOK OF ATHYRA.

You can't really go wrong with a set of choices like that.

Good to know. A Fire Upon the Deep has been on my shelf--unread, of course--for years. I just keep hearing such mixed things about it. Allegations of it being slow, dated, full of stupid characters, etc. I think I'll read it next, if for no other reason than to get it over with.

I'm about 250 pages into Follett's The Pillars of the Earth. Not that I'm a sheep or anything, but when I started realizing the library patrons were practically fighting over copies of the sequel, World Without End I decided I'd better see what the fuss was about. I have read Follett's spy novels and enjoyed them. This is historical fiction and so far the storyline has grabbed and held my attention.

I also checked out a beautiful book Timeless Landscape Design, and my reading went something like this: Read Foreward. Skip last half because it seems to be a recitation of author's various degrees and qualifications and name dropping of colleagues and famous clients. Hmmm...."Site Inventory" blah blah blah. "The Four Part Master Plan: Entry, The Hub, The Perimeter...blah, blah, blah...Oooo! pretty pictures! Page through the rest of the book.

I was especially irritated when I realized that the authors didn't caption their photographs with the names of the plants displayed. Rather, they say lots about what type of stone they use for their retaining walls, but never mention what types of plants are in the photo. How silly is it to write a landscape design book and not talk about trees and shrubs and flowers? I was irritated enough to leave a comment on Amazon.

Smeech, I loved Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky; A Fire Upon The Deep was not as enjoyable for me. But I really like his concepts of the universe being divided into Zones of Thought and wanted to see what else he wrote about them so I'm glad I picked it up. I do think he is one of the best sci-fi writers out there for hard science fiction.

Smeech, I loved Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky; A Fire Upon The Deep was not as enjoyable for me. But I really like his concepts of the universe being divided into Zones of Thought and wanted to see what else he wrote about them so I'm glad I picked it up. I do think he is one of the best sci-fi writers out there for hard science fiction.

I felt the same way, and because of that I waited over a year before I read Deepness. I wish I hadn't waited so long because I really enjoyed Deepness, and I think if I had read them in the reverse order I would have liked Fire more. (fantastic aliens in Fire, some of the best I've read)

Archived