Goodkind XXXII: Swedish Grandmothers Beware

Werthead

I am so thankful for this board, I was beginning to think I was crazy after reading all the SoT crap and subsequent fan boards. Ahhh. I am not crazy. It is so hard to conceive that anyone takes this guy seriously and it is unbelievable that his readers are so oblivious to the crap he spews out. I wonder how much truth he actually says, or if he lives under his wizards first rule, and tells people what they want. There are so many quotes in this interview, where do you start. I did like his rants on video games and other what other authors are writing.

That's the problem: too many authors are selected to be published who believe that life is meaningless and miserable, and we have too many miserable, meaningless forms of entertainment out there. That's why people are turning away from reading and turning instead to things where they don't have to endure that kind of misery—sports and video games.

And he know's this by how? Maybe reading? Oh no, he doesn't have time for that. He hates video games why? Oh yah because then people start to be incontrol of making their own stories. Oh, the slimy bugger actually gets to me. He reminds me of the kid in your class that is the compulsive liar.

I dig this board though, I have enjoyed many a gut-busting laugh the last few weeks.

Iy carumba, okay I can't not post after each paragraph in this interview. I don't get his quote.

If you choose to sacrifice, if you see someone drowning in a river and you decide to jump in and try to save them at the risk of your own life, that's perfectly fine—but you shouldn't be required to sacrifice yourself. 'Required sacrifice' is another term for 'slavery'. When you're required to sacrifice for others, that's saying that your life has no value except to serve others. Who's deciding whose life is worth more than yours? That's the state, or religion, and they're saying that you have no value as an individual; your only value is to sacrifice yourself [for the greater good].

Aside from some cultic fundamental religions, where do religions 'require sacrifice'? Choice, free will, liberty, all foundational elements of Christianity atleast. Ay.

Also did anyone think it was weird how Tairy oozed out complements about Sam Raimi's and his ability to film the story of Spiderman, when Spiderman is truly a hero who embodies the virtue "with great power comes great responsibility". To me, once again reflects his ignorance and inconsistency.

Has anyone noticed that this site is like a refuge or safe haven in a sea of loons?

and another thing. Were going waaaay to fast for me. lost you at page 22 or something of the last thread and now we are at page 4 of the new thread already......im losing my grip on the love of life

btw: nice 3peat Bo, leave some for us.

Has anyone noticed that this site is like a refuge or safe haven in a sea of loons?

and another thing. Were going waaaay to fast for me. lost you at page 22 or something of the last thread and now we are at page 4 of the new thread already......im losing my grip on the love of life

btw: nice 3peat Bo, leave some for us.

In all fairness Exa, 2 threads were merged at the last second, just as we started going to town on this newest interview, so it really went from page 12 to 22 to 4 :)

I am so thankful for this board, I was beginning to think I was crazy after reading all the SoT crap and subsequent fan boards. Ahhh. I am not crazy. It is so hard to conceive that anyone takes this guy seriously and it is unbelievable that his readers are so oblivious to the crap he spews out. I wonder how much truth he actually says, or if he lives under his wizards first rule, and tells people what they want. There are so many quotes in this interview, where do you start. I did like his rants on video games and other what other authors are writing.

Bo, I was the same way. Finished the series and got sick of how little dissension there was regarding all things Goodkind. I had no idea there was more badmouthing than complimenting out here on the web lol. I have no problems with an author saying he's in it all for the money, or that he doesn't have time to read, but when he starts spouting off like he's an authority figure on everything and that it's his way or the highway (outside of his books), I take issue. He's 1 imaginary friend short of psychotic.

Absoluting, write for the money. It's a job and all. It is the oozing of platitudes around it that causes me to shake my head. I have no problem with an arrogant guy, I have no problem with a writer employing concepts from other writers and I have no problem with idealist, but at least be consistent. I don't get how a guy can be so blind to the fact that the only reason any of his books sold was because they are fantasy. Yah, don't want to worldbuild, yet loves the universe he has created and plans to write more. I suspect the only reason most of his readers don't read other fantasy is because they are 13 years old.

I can't even comment on the quote about insurgency in Japan. Pretty hard to car bomb a B-52.

With Tairy's rant on video games, I can't help but think that the invisible reptile-man creature from the second novel bears quite the resemblance to Mortal Kombat's Reptile...

Did TG just claim he invented mythology?

Yep, thats right folks, Tairy invented mythology!

I'm a born storyteller. My earliest memories are of telling myself stories. I lived with the characters from the stories in my head. When I was little I remember playing in the backyard, writing and directing plays for the other kids in the neighborhood. Just some simple kidnapping storylines or whatever.

This is pretty pathetic... Who else thinks he made up his "friends" as well?

I'm a born storyteller. My earliest memories are of telling myself stories. I lived with the characters from the stories in my head. When I was little I remember playing in the backyard, writing and directing plays for the other kids in the neighborhood. Just some simple kidnapping storylines or whatever.

Yep, thats right folks, Tairy invented mythology!

This is pretty pathetic... Who else thinks he made up his "friends" as well?

Amazing, even as a kid he was able summarize his entire SoT series, minus the naughty bits.

I think Tairy's biggest plot twist will be the book where Kahlan isn't kidnapped and doesn't even get threatened with rape.

I got Keith Parkinson because I was so disgusted, angry, and infuriated with the original cover of “Wizard's First Rule†that I almost quit writing for public consumption. I was livid. The cover on “Wizard's First Rule†did not represent in any way what I was writing about. It represented a juvenile, immature vision that reflected nothing about the book. It was complete deception by the publisher, trying to fool people into thinking that I was writing for adolescent males. I was absolutely livid, and I just about tore up my contract and said,

*Sigh* So near, yet so far. Dream the dream of what could have been...

I had a defect in a major artery that supplies blood to my heart, and it would have killed me within a couple of weeks. They had to bypass that defect, which was like a kink in a garden hose. They used an artery from my chest, and it was successful. They said I have no heart disease or anything like that, and in fact the surgeon said it was a pleasure to operate on someone who was healthy for a change.

For the record: We're glad you're okay, Terry. Seriously. Heart trouble is nothing to sneeze at and we're glad you got better.

That being said though: You could simply say you needed a bypass. It's not that complicated, nor is it that uncommon these days. No need to try to build the tension by going into every detail. Ugh. And another thing, man: When you have to have heart surgery YOU AREN'T HEALTHY! Oy.

I'm sorry to admit I've read his books, except for Confessor. I didn't like them and it was mostly for the laughs after a while.

That's the first interview of him I ever bothered to read from start to finish.. and I just couldn't believe it. I mean..is he for real? Since I joined the board I've been amused by the amount of Goodkind bashing and even tempted to join in a couple of times.. but after reading that, I think you guys aren't forceful enough.

A writer who admits he doesn't read.. and takes pride in it! It boggles my mind.

I'm sorry to admit I've read his books, except for Confessor. I didn't like them and it was mostly for the laughs after a while.

That's the first interview of him I ever bothered to read from start to finish.. and I just couldn't believe it. I mean..is he for real? Since I joined the board I've been amused by the amount of Goodkind bashing and even tempted to join in a couple of times.. but after reading that, I think you guys aren't forceful enough.

A writer who admits he doesn't read.. and takes pride in it! It boggles my mind.

Believe me we are as forceful as mods allow us to be :P

I was in the book store the other day and I saw a book called "Green Rider's Call", or something like that. Now this book looked like your typical mediocre fantasy, but what caught my attention was the blurb on the cover; it was from Tairy Goodkind! If Tairy doesn't read books, and especially doesn't read fantasy, how was he able to supply a blurb for this book?

I was in the book store the other day and I saw a book called "Green Rider's Call", or something like that. Now this book looked like your typical mediocre fantasy, but what caught my attention was the blurb on the cover; it was from Tairy Goodkind! If Tairy doesn't read books, and especially doesn't read fantasy, how was he able to supply a blurb for this book?

"For a book that wasn't a green riding boots fetish magazine, I must admit, I'd read it were I not so pompous." -TG

I have still not even read Goodkind and I find this thread to be fantastic. This guy comes off as a megalomaniac who drinks his own cool-aid so-to-speak. Take the biggest Tairy fan ever and ask them what they think about his work, and that's also how good Tairy himself thinks he is.

"For a book that wasn't a green riding boots fetish magazine, I must admit, I'd read it were I not so pompous." -TG

The truth is sadly much less entertaining. What I really want to know though is how would he know, giving that he doesn't read fantasy and all? I guess he must go by the size of the boobs on girl on the cover, as he usually does.

I swear to god when I bought that book that I didn't even give TG, or his obviously fake blurb, a second thought. The book was just kinda "eh" anyway.

Mysh, I triple dog dare you to write a note to DAW copying the blurb on Green Rider and then the TG quote about not reading and then ask them sweetly to comment publicly... :P

Archived