Goodkind XXXII: Swedish Grandmothers Beware

Werthead

They banned me.

Again.

This time I've learned.

Oh well.

TG does no research.

One should know that.

And one should also know not to point it out to Yeardites.

As for Yeasty... I think I speak for a great many here... I'm tired of suffering fools...

I'm ending his/her posting abilities forthwith!

I'm a fool! MOON BOY IS NO MATCH FOR ME!

Now, on topic, TG does do no research. He just uses a faulty logic to deduct things from what he knows in his day-to-day life. And so some of the things he writes and says make sense to him, and he disguises it as actual research due to the fact that "I'm smart and the greatest intellectual mind ever so I can probably understand history by thinking about it, so why do I need to read?" He figures he's smart enough to do w/e he needs to do without being caught at it, and uses the support of m* to make people agree with him.

Can anyone who knows something about psychology help me here?

Alright, I sent it off. Here's what it said:

Dear DAW publishing,

I have a question concerning the cover blurb on the novel "Green Rider" by author Kristen Britain. The blurb was supplied by author Terry Goodkind, and it reads, "A wonderfully captivating heroic fantasy adventure. This is the rarest of finds; a truely enjoyable read." In a recent interview Terry Goodkind remarked that he does not read fiction. To qoute: "I don't read other novels because I don't like to be distracted by how other authors do things. I find it a huge negative to read other novels; it puts things in your head of how they described things, of how they created a story, how they worked a theme, all of those things. " This interview can be found at fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com. The above qoute is not the only instance during the inteview where Mr. Goodkind claims to not read fiction. In fact over the years Mr. Goodkind has stated on many occasions that he does not read fiction. My question is this: If Terry Goodkind does not read fiction how is it that he was able to supply a blurb for the DAW novel "Green Rider"?

If they reply I will be sure to post it here.

Is there nothing you won't do on a dare? That's awesome! Bravo!

Bet you only get a form letter back. :P

I suspect there might be a "Buh?" response at the other end. There are levels in the major publishers' publicity staffs and I suspect that what will happen is that the junior publicists will be the ones screening the emails to see if there's something that a senior publicist needs to address. Chances are that you won't get a response at all.

To be honest, you'd have to go a bit higher and get certain peoples' direct email accounts if you wanted to find out who got Tairy's full comments and excerpted them for the blurb. At least that's been my understanding based on a few queries about other matters.

*Sigh* So near, yet so far. Dream the dream of what could have been...

For the record: We're glad you're okay, Terry. Seriously. Heart trouble is nothing to sneeze at and we're glad you got better.

That being said though: You could simply say you needed a bypass. It's not that complicated, nor is it that uncommon these days. No need to try to build the tension by going into every detail. Ugh. And another thing, man: When you have to have heart surgery YOU AREN'T HEALTHY! Oy.

my freshman year of highschool a girl i knew since kindergarten dropped dead in class.

Well, actually turned blue and keeled over, called an ambulance, was announced dead on arrival, she actually was perfectly healthy, to this day they don't know what caused her death.

So i guess he should be lucky to be healty alive and with a bad artery, as opposed to healthy and dead in the ground :D

This seems off-topic but bear with me here.

Evil Kneivil was on the Jim Rome show and was asked about his keys to success

He said "First, you must believe in God. For any athiests out there, I think you will contribute nothing to life."

This is sort of my feeling about people who don't read. If you don't read, the amount of information you have processed in your life is dwarfed by the person who does. You contribute nothing....

But I've been proven wrong by the Yeard! He reads nothing and is now on the short list of the great philosophers in human history! I mean, Ayn Rand, Michael Savage, Terry Goodkind. That's pretty much it isn't it?

But I've been proven wrong by the Yeard! He reads nothing and is now on the short list of the great philosophers in human history! I mean, Ayn Rand, Michael Savage, Terry Goodkind. That's pretty much it isn't it?

You forgot Thomas Jefferson. He invented the United States.

my freshman year of highschool a girl i knew since kindergarten dropped dead in class.

Well, actually turned blue and keeled over, called an ambulance, was announced dead on arrival, she actually was perfectly healthy, to this day they don't know what caused her death.

So i guess he should be lucky to be healty alive and with a bad artery, as opposed to healthy and dead in the ground :D

Without trying to be snarky, that sounds more like the exception that proves the rule though and something you can't control. If you go in for a bypass it's because the doctors know you don't have a healthy heart and that they caught the problem in time.

I registered at this forum just because I wanted to say that I've been lurking on the Goodkind threads over the past week or so and I wanted to say BRAVO. I was wondering if I was the only one in the world completely surprised that this guy had a career, let alone fans. I've been reading his series since I was in high school (when his one-note activism was way less transparent) and after awhile decided that while I was going to finish the series, I wasn't going to give him any more money. I gave my existing books away to a friend I don't like much anymore, and got the last three from the library.

Anyways, bravo on these threads.

Also, I just started Feast for Crows today, coincidentally.

I registered at this forum just because I wanted to say that I've been lurking on the Goodkind threads over the past week or so and I wanted to say BRAVO. I was wondering if I was the only one in the world completely surprised that this guy had a career, let alone fans. I've been reading his series since I was in high school (when his one-note activism was way less transparent) and after awhile decided that while I was going to finish the series, I wasn't going to give him any more money. I gave my existing books away to a friend I don't like much anymore, and got the last three from the library.

Anyways, bravo on these threads.

Also, I just started Feast for Crows today, coincidentally.

Drew, welcome aboard. I was the same way in regards to Tairy, and I started aSoIaF when I joined these forums after my contempt for SoT's finale. I'm more than halfway through FfC and while it's a little stiff (compared to the other 3), it's still head & shoulders and plump luscious breasts above Tairy's trash.

If you wanna just shout out some of the things that piss you off about TG, feel free. We like being reminded of our sanity :)

Drew, welcome aboard. I was the same way in regards to Tairy, and I started aSoIaF when I joined these forums after my contempt for SoT's finale. I'm more than halfway through FfC and while it's a little stiff (compared to the other 3), it's still head & shoulders and plump luscious breasts above Tairy's trash.

If you wanna just shout out some of the things that piss you off about TG, feel free. We like being reminded of our sanity :)

I had to finish Confessor in 2 weeks, and I pretty much only read over my lunch hour (takes me months to finish a GRRM book as a result) so I skimmed through the SoT finale. I'm sure Mr. Goodkind would be filled with justice-laden rage to learn that. But man, that book was a disaster. The chapter where Nicci meats Jagang went on and on and on and it was the same tripe that we've heard Richard and Nicci say to each other for 3 books now. NOTHING HAPPENED in the first half of that book.

And the Deus Ex Machina at the end? I REFUSE to believe that this has been the planned ending all along. The only morals in the SoT series is that if you concentrate really hard, everything falls in place for you regardless of how hopeless your situation is. Nothing about the last quarter of that book made any sense in the context he's set up. Regardless of his awful prose, horrible pacing, and uneven structure in the books in this series, Confessor was a monumental failure based mainly in logic flaws. And Kahlan managing to piece together damn near everything with no memory whatsoever was pretty retarded as well.

It was reading interviews with Goodkind that made me hate his work, and once I crossed that line, it was very hard to go back.

i like the SoT books, but after finding out what a complete doofus he is i decided to join in on the bashing.

I mean its like he killed a quarter of a bottle of jack before each of his interviews.

A very big bottle

chased with a few margaritas.

He doesn't sound STUPID in his interviews, just incredibly closed minded and arrogant. I've heard him compared to both David Brent and Garth Marenghi on this forum, and both comparisons are completely apt.

I also love how he strung out the Books of Counted Shadows for the 3 novels, only to dismiss the entire plot by saying "ha! Didn't matter!" Great use of pages and time Tairy.

SERIOUSLY. How frustrating is that to have him throw that in there. That really pissed me off. And it wasn't for 3 novels, he's been talking about that book for 11 novels. Why should we care about the fantasy elements of his books when it's so easy for him to write that in the proper circumstances, those elements don't matter? It's like he's purposely damaging the fantasy elements of his book for the sake of his philosophy. I know he hates the fact that he writes fantasy, but man, at least be consistent.

SERIOUSLY. How frustrating is that to have him throw that in there. That really pissed me off. And it wasn't for 3 novels, he's been talking about that book for 11 novels. Why should we care about the fantasy elements of his books when it's so easy for him to write that in the proper circumstances, those elements don't matter? It's like he's purposely damaging the fantasy elements of his book for the sake of his philosophy. I know he hates the fact that he writes fantasy, but man, at least be consistent.

Good point. Only thing that tops the BoCS was the whole 'Which came first, Confessors or Seekers?' bit.

The entirety of the series (and the deux finale) was reliant on a completely meaningless history lesson that he derides his readers for ever questioning and looking for detail on.

Do real fans actually visit and post at the GioG forums? I can never tell if someone's real or they're faking it. There should be some secret code or something so that people as oblivious as me can tell which is which. >.<

Archived