Brandon Sanderson to Complete Wheel of Time

Ebenstone

Isn't there going to be a massive huge battle spanning 500 pages at the end? ;)

As I'm reading through the books for the first time I really hope the "facts" of the conclusion are faithful to the vision, and that it isn't too predictable. This book should try to lighten the fire that was dowsed with the last few books. Some more evocative action too.

Also, I DO finally know who killed Asmodean, and I promise to include it in the book to finally answer that question for you.

:lol:

Good look Mr Sanderson. :) Sounds like you are coming into this with the right attitude and that's the best that one can expect

Without knowing the full details of what went on behind the scenes in the decision-making process...

I think Mr. Sanderson took on possibly the most thankless job in the current world of fantasy. Unless someone's been tasked by a studio with writing sequels for Lord of the Rings, in which case he only has the second-most thankless job. Good luck with ALL of that...

That being said, I was hoping we would get a full book for the conclusion and not a set of notes, and I'm glad that it has turned out this way. From what it sounds like, he'll be working closely with the interested parties to put together the best that we could hope for with out Robert Jordan. Again, without knowing what happened, I know the names of 99% of current authors I wouldn't want touching WoT, and Mr. Sanderson is not on that list.

I've got pretty high hopes for this. Seems like pretty much everyone agrees the second half of the series has lacked a little, so maybe another writer with a more objective perspective will be able to bring the feel of the first six books back and cut some of the non-plot advancing political maneuvering that Jordan seemed to really enjoy.

At least it's not Kevin J. Anderson, though. God knows he does enough of this sort of thing.

No truer words have been said.

It could have been worse. It could have been the Yeard (shudders).

Okay, I take what I said earlier back. QFT.

These are big shoes to fill, and--to be honest--I don't think I'll ever fill them. However, it IS a dream come true to be able to work on this project. I'm honest when I say I've loved these books since I was a youth.

Much luck to you, Mr. Sanderson! :thumbsup:

Well I guess I'll be in the tiny minority here. What a freaking disaster. No offense to Mr. Sanderson. I actually like his work very much. But it is no WoT. Neither its glories nor its flaws. I'm rather depressed that Tor and Harriet did not trust Jordan's own contribution and his fans to just go the route of printing up his notes and vocal efforts and letting us continue the journey. Then again, Tor has made some questionable choices concerning the ruination of the wonderful classic Slan; something I had never actually taken into mind when the matter of AMOL being finished came to front. Maybe I should have taken that into account and paid more attention to that then the last few blogs and the idealistic comments coming from various proofreaders.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll read it. I'll probably graps what little glimmers of Jordan I might find. But what a way to crap all over a legacy and do so so fast. Sanderson might not be an Anderson, but in the long run, taking something I have read and lived with since the book came out, it's nothing more than an "s" when all is said and done.

Hope you get a nice check Mr. Sanderson. When Tor screws its fans, or at leat this fan, the way they have, someone at least should be paid for the transaction.

Guest Ser Jaime

I don't want to read hundreds of pages of notes and unfinished material. I want to read an actual novel. I think most readers feel the same way.

TOR made the right decision. I haven't read any of Brandon's novels, but I have heard good things about his Mistborn series. I think he will do a great job with this.

I just want to find out how the story ends, and I'm glad we will get that chance.

Excellent :IsayinmybestMr.Burnsvoice:

Not because I've read WoT (I have not read any of them), because this should help out the value of my first edition Sanderson novels.

I have read Sanderson's work, and I enjoy it very much. From what I've read about WoT, I think the series is in good hands.

Good luck Brandon!

Hope you get a nice check Mr. Sanderson. When Tor screws its fans, or at leat this fan, the way they have, someone at least should be paid for the transaction.

That seems a bit uncalled for. I happen to be a fan and I don't feel that I've been screwed over in the least. To imply that Sanderson is selling out as a writer simply because he took this on is a bit harsh, don't you think?

Guest Ser Jaime

Brandon --

Do you know roughly how long the book will be?

Jordan said in an interview that Book 12 would be the final book, even if it ended up being 1500 pages long.

Did TOR give you any guidelines in terms of the length of the book?

Are you confident you can wrap everything up in one book without it having to be split into two volumes?

As long as it gets done, I'll be happy.

Good luck, Brandon...

Your entire career as a novelist will be judged by the the quality of this book. No pressure.

:agree: Nice way to encourage a guy...

Seriously. I haven't read any of his books and I may have to rectify that. I'm just really glad that the writing for the book is going to be on the way. I agree with whoever said that we need a real book and not just a published collection of notes by Jordan. Sanderson sounds like a dedicated fan of WoT in all his interviews.. at least that gives us hope that he'll do the story justice.

I'm looking forward to it. I want to find out how the story ends, and I want it told well.

I don't want to read hundreds of pages of notes and unfinished material. I want to read an actual novel. I think most readers feel the same way.

I agree with this sentiment.

Best of wishes to all concerned and here's hoping its a great conclusion to WoT.

I'm really glad they decided to finish the book and not publish the notes. Doing the latter would have simply doomed any future for WoT. I mean, who apart from dedicated fans would but the notes? And who'll start the series knowing that it ends with a book of notes?

More importantly, all of RJ's effort in the final days was to get as much of the story out as possible. And I'm sure that selecting another author to complete the books is entirely in keeping with what Jordan wanted. He wanted the last book to be a story, I'm sure, not a set of notes.

So I'm glad the book is getting finished.

As for the choice of the author to complete the work, I won't comment till I have an idea. I haven't read your books yet, but I'll rectify that rather promptly.

The fact that you're a fan, and have followed the series is surely a bonus, and I wish you all success in your effort.

Waits patiently to find out who killed Asmodean (it had better be Graendal!).

Archived