Brandon Sanderson to Complete Wheel of Time

Ebenstone

You know what this is like, it's kind of like when an established band covers a huge hit on tour...DMB's "All Along The Watchtower" is pretty epic and who can forget Jimi's version, Clapton's "I Shot The Sheriff" was pretty good, Johnny Cash did justice to NIN's "Hurt" and I think that Marilyn Manson made "Sweet Dreams" creepier than the Eurythmics....let's just hope it's not an eviscirated "Layla" or "Brown Eyed Girl" by Everclear!

Your entire career as a novelist will be judged by the the quality of this book. No pressure.

As Stego mentioned, your career might hang on this. So this is one hell of a gig, no question!

Gah. I know you guys didn't mean anything malicious by it, but I think this sentiment is one Brandon would be served best by ignoring completely.

Brandon,

I was glad to read what you said about retreating from the internet the closer you get to a project. The sooner the better with this one, I would think. Not that you need to be told this (I'll do it anyways), but while you're in there getting lost amongst those notes--the story, the characters and the page-length descriptions--just remember to have fun with it. We will be able to tell if you aren't :)

I just might have to add to the current sales bump that the works of one Brandon Sanderson are no doubt seeing at the moment. Definitely curious about the past work of the guy currently taking over the reins.

:agree: I'm thinking I'll have to add at least the first Mistborn book to the 'to read' pile.

You know what this is like, it's kind of like when an established band covers a huge hit on tour...DMB's "All Along The Watchtower" is pretty epic and who can forget Jimi's version, Clapton's "I Shot The Sheriff" was pretty good, Johnny Cash did justice to NIN's "Hurt" and I think that Marilyn Manson made "Sweet Dreams" creepier than the Eurythmics....let's just hope it's not an eviscirated "Layla" or "Brown Eyed Girl" by Everclear!

I'm kind of hoping for a 'If you think I'm sexy' by the Revolting Cocks

ETA: As to the actual subject matter of this thread, good luck to Mr Sanderson.

I've never heard of him before or read any of his books (but I'm not particularly well-read in fantasy), so have no idea what he's like as an author. But he can't fuck this series up any more than the original author had done.

I hope it works out for him - as others have suggested, this is a pretty tough gig to pick up. Regardless of how shite the series has been since about book 7, there are a lot of devoted fans out there

I'm solidly in the (apparently quite large) category of people who have never heard of Mr. Sanderson.

I would love to see the stats on sales of his book yesterday after the announcement vs an average day from last week on Amazon.

This is great news to have a competent author announced so soon; congratulations and good luck Brandon.

It must be a ridiculously tiny minority that would actually rather have a set of notes than a proper novel which follows those notes. Who knows, the notes might be released in some form anyway. I'm glad they're doing what the fans and Jordan wanted.

Also, this is the first 'lose-lose situation' I've ever heard of that involves getting royalties from a guaranteed number one best-seller...

Well, they could have done much worse, IMHO. I read "Elantris" and it was OK - it didn't make me want to run out and hunt Sanderson's other work, but it did keep me interested throughout and didn't seem like a waste of time retroactively. IMHO, it is a better book than later volumes of WOT if they were to be judged solely on their own merits and not on the buildup from the earlier installments.

So, good news that the series will be finished after all and good luck to Sanderson.

Brandon

It is interesting to have you confirm that. I say this because TOR has a strong tendency to cut books in half that could easily have been put in one book. For instance John Wright's Everness books. Dave Duncan's Children of Chaos duology. Scott Westerfeld's Risen Empire duology. A few others. In all of these cases the two books together are not even as long as the final WoT novel would be.

Your novel Well of Ascension was almost 600 pages in hardcover, so if you say the final Jordan novel will certainly be bigger than that and will still be one volume, I wonder if TOR will really pull that off.

You are forgetting here that Tor also publish Erikson's novels, some of which are between 1100 and 1200 pages in paperback, and two of the prior Wheel of Time books exceed 1000 pages in paperback.

I think Tor only splits short novels in half when the series would otherwise be too short, or indeed only one book. No need to do that with Malazan or Wheel of Time for that matter.

You know, if AMoL had been fully written by Robert Jordan, I probably would have ignored it in favor of other books (unless the general consensus was that it was amazing, of course). Now, though...I'm seriously considering buying both KoD and this book, when it's finished. I guess I just got so fed up with Jordan's handling of the series in the later books that the idea of a fresh (and reasonably competent) voice on the series sort of excites me.

Brandon, the only thing of yours I've read, I hate to admit, was your Eulogy for RJ. However, I thought that was a rather wonderful peice of writing; that summed up much of what I felt at the time, and the honest admiration and respect you showed in that is recommendation enough for me.

I'm no Jordan fanboy, but his death is a tragedy, and WOT remaining unfinished despite his wishes would be a further tragedy.

How are you going to handle many of the questions left in the series? Some of the major ones are listed on the WOT FAQ

Are you going to be doing a lot of corroboration with family members? Will this be sort of a joint project?

How many pages of notes did Mr. Jordan leave? Were they fully formed paragraphs or just the outline/ideas?

so many questions:-p

When do you start writing on it? Will you give updates on your blog, or elsewhere?

Good luck Brandon, and thanks for coming here and sharing your perspective. You've made it abundantly clear to me that you intend to approach the project with the proper tone of reverence and I expect the final product to as much as possible represent Mr. Rigney's vision. The situation here is unique - Rigney knew his death was coming and had ample time to prepare for this - first by trying to write as much of it himself as he could and then later, when he realized that he'd falter before the end of the race, in making notes for whoever eventually was chosen to pick up the baton.

It comforts me to hear you say that the material with which you've been provided exceeds your expectations in terms of detail and depth. We won't get the exact book that Rigney would have written, but it sounds like you have a clear idea of much of what he intended. And in these circumstances, this is the best we can hope for.

I am hopeful that your own work will be the legacy by which your career is judged. The only way I'd think that you should evaluated primarily by your work on A Memory of Light would be if you approached it with an overly intrusive, insincere or otherwise inappropriate mindset. Reading your comments here and on wotmania leaves me confident that none of these are likely to be the case. You've taken what could end up being a thankless task, but it was one that needed to be taken and I am grateful.

I am guessing you read The Eye of the World at some point between your fifteenth and twentieth birthday. Bet you never dreamt that someday you'd be the one to help finish the tale of Rand al'Thor!!

I hope that someday, years down the road, Tor decides to publish Rigney's notes verbatim, with transcriptions of his recordings. I'd be very interested in such a thing from a historical perspective. But an actual complete novel should come first. Because by his actions in his final months, Jim Rigney made it clear that was what HE wanted them to do.

AMoL being finished by a decent (based off of what I've seen in this thread-I haven't read his books, though seeing his name attached to AMoL might remind me too at some point) writer who's also a fan of WoT. What a relief, considering some of the other possibilities. Good luck Mr. Sanderson.

Brandon, the only thing of yours I've read, I hate to admit, was your Eulogy for RJ. However, I thought that was a rather wonderful peice of writing; that summed up much of what I felt at the time, and the honest admiration and respect you showed in that is recommendation enough for me.

I'm no Jordan fanboy, but his death is a tragedy, and WOT remaining unfinished despite his wishes would be a further tragedy.

:agree:

I've been planning on rereading the first 8 books (and completeing the series) once the final volume was completed - it is great news to hear that I will one day be able to do this.

Best of luck with the project!

Well I've never heard of My Sanderson but never mind. I'll reserve judgement till the books finished. Hopefully it'll make the last few books seem worthwhile rather than boring as hell. Anyway, good luck and enjoy it.

And this thread has been making me laugh with evreyone calling him Mr Sanderson, reminds me of the Matrix.

Archived