Lost season 4.1.b.2

Arataniello

Did anyone else catch Christian Shepard in the spooky shack?

Of the mysteries that they're introducing, the one I'm most intrigued by is why the O6 are lying, and why so many get left behind.

I don't think the rescuers will be able to escape, due to the snow globe effect. Maybe Original Sawyer's box gets reverse-engineered or something.

Ok, watched the episode. It was eh, imo. I loved that Jack tried to shoot Locke. To quote Stifler, "YES! THAT'S AWESOME!" Too bad the gun wasn't loaded. Hurley is continuing to develop as a leader. I love it. People going with Locke pissed me off, even though he was probably right this time (though Hurley's comment to Jack in the flash-forward has me doubting).

I know you're a Locke hater, but I have some weird questions revolving around that scene.

I had recorded last night's repeat of the S3 finale and when I watched tonight's episode (without viewing the 8pm recap), I realiized how much I had forgotten, so afterward I watched the S3 finale which had some pretty funny comments in subtitles.

Anyway, in "Through the Looking Glass", Locke wakes up in the pit o' Dharma Initiative corpses. He can't move his legs, so he reaches across to a corpse with a gun and looks in the chamber. The camera focuses in on the gun and we see that there are 5 bullets in it. He's about to shoot himself when Walt appears and tells him not to do it.

Later in the episode, at the radio tower, he alerts everyone to his presence and shoots the gun in the air once, after having knifed Naomi.

So when Jack tries to shoot him in tonight's episode, either the gun was empty like Locke said, or he was betting on one of the two empty chambers to come up. If it was actually empty like he said, what happened to the other 4 bullets? I doubt this question will be answered, but my pet theory is that it was Locke inside the cabin (the guy at the window) and there are some events of his that we're missing.

Edit: Zulo, I did, but only the second time around when I watched that scene over again to see who the other guy in the window was. (Locke?) There is also a picture of a dog hanging on the wall that they linger on for a few seconds. I wonder if that means anything. I must have missed the Black Rock captain.

- "The Oceanic Six" - so only six make it back? We know that Jack, Kate and Hurley are 3 of them, so who are the other 3? Whoever was in the coffin? Sawyer (the common assumption that he was the "he" that Kate was talking about in the last flash-forward. But he goes with Locke. But so did Hurley and he's one of the six. Aaaaaahhhhh)

My guess aside from Jack, Hurley and Kate are Sawyer, Jin and Sun. The latter two because Sun needs to get off the island for her child to be born, and Sawyer because I think that's who Kate is referring to when she says she has to "get back to him" in the last episode of S3. Then again, those choices are probably too obvious so....

- Really, who would have gone with Locke? Charlie's message notwithstanding. You're about to get rescued from the island that you crashed on, where you were subsequently assaulted by the "Others". And you're staying because crazy Locke says you should, and dying Charlie wrote "Not Penny's boat" on his hand?

I had some issues with that, too. It's almost ridiculous to think that anyone would've actually gone with Locke based off of Hurley's speech, which was pretty vague. Not to mention Hurley didn't exactly know how Charlie died, either. I assume Desmond told them of the message Charlie gave, but telling isn't the same as seeing.

And as a "The Wire" fan, I had to smile at seeing Daniels make an appearance and playing a bad guy.

I guess this flash-forward was earlier than Jack's. Hopefully it doesn't become painfully difficult to piece together where all these flash forwards fall with respect to each other.

This is pretty obvious. Jack had an enormous beard in the Season 3 finale and desperately wanted to go back to the Island. Jack didn't have a beard here and was talking about growing one. He also said he didn't want to go back to the Island. I'm guessing we'll see an intervening flashforwards or two showing how Jack's mind gets changed.

"The Oceanic Six" - so only six make it back? We know that Jack, Kate and Hurley are 3 of them, so who are the other 3? Whoever was in the coffin? Sawyer (the common assumption that he was the "he" that Kate was talking about in the last flash-forward. But he goes with Locke. But so did Hurley and he's one of the six. Aaaaaahhhhh)

I think the identities of the Oceanic Six have been leaked. Obviously don't read this if you want to keep guessing, but I think they're revealed pretty quickly:

SPOILER: Identity of the Ocean Six MAJOR SPOILERS
It's Jack, Kate, Hurley, Jin, Sun and Sayid (the latter three have flashforwards coming up pretty soon). There's also one more person who was on the Island with them who is now off (the 'him' mentioned by Kate and I'm pretty sure it's not Sawyer), plus Michael and Walt who are not counted as part of the Six.

Here we are the start of season 4 - WHO ARE THE OTHERS, AND WHY ARE THEY ON THIS ISLAND?!?!!?! WHAT WAS DHARMA TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH ON THE ISLAND? WHO WERE THE "HOSTILES" THAT WERE THERE BEFORE DHARMA AND SEEM TO MAKE UP MOST OF THE CURRENT "OTHERS"?!?!! Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

The Others are an amalgamation of various groups who have come to the Island over the years, including (I'm guessing) the crew or descendants of the crew of the Black Rock plus survivors of the DHARMA Initiative who swapped sides like Ben plus possibly the indiginous inhabitants of the Island (the people who built the statue and the ruins) or the descendants thereof.

I've gotta believe that Michael and Walt are two of them. I actually kept expecting to see Michael pop up at some point in this episode because his name was in the opening credits.

SPOILER: When Michael Turn Up
Michael has a flashback in Episode 8 that is supposed to be huge stuff. They're being vague on if he shows up before then

Michael being in the black neighborhood makes more sense. Rose and Bernard were from back East, Chicago IIRC. The funeral was in LA, where I think Michael and Walt were based out of.

Michael and Walt lived in New York City.

I'm in Locke's corner here. And as to why some people would go with Locke, just remember this:

Locke: "You won't shot me, Jack."

Jack pulls out the gun, aims it at Locke's face and pulls the trigger.

Locke: "The gun's not loaded."

A real confidence killer there.

Also, a question: At the very end, did Hurley referred to something as "it"? He said something like "It wants us to go back to the island, it's doing everything it can.", no? Not a he or she or they, but it. Was he talking about the smoke monster?

I think he actually just said "It wants us to go back." In that case, I think by "it" he means the island.

The eye in the shack was brown colored, so it wasn't Locke. What was that painting on the wall??

Good episode, not the best season opener (season 3 was stronger, IMO) but they had to deal with the ramifications of S3's final episode and it was, overall, handled well. I'm assuming that druggie hobbit will be brought back from time to time as part of Hurley's hallucinations.

ABC must be desperate from the strike to saturate'Eli Stone' so heavily. Every. Friggin. Commercial. Break. After hearing 'Faith' fifteen times in an hour I couldn't get that damned song out of my head. :thumbsdown:

If it's Bernard in the coffin, Jack's reaction at the funeral home, and the fact that there were no mourners, and Kate's vehement reaction as to why she wouldn't go to the funeral would make no sense. Unless they really take Bernard in a different direction from here on out.

It's Hurley in the coffin.

In this flash forward (the Charlie appearance was a nice little surprise), it's obviously not too terribly long after the O6 are back, otherwise why still try to use the idea of the O6? Jack alludes to some lingering fame when playing horse with Hurley and he's talking about growing a beard. At this point, it's Hurley who wants to go back and Jack thinks it's nuts to do so. When we had Jack's flash forward at the end of S3, he's, for reasons we're not totally sure of, wavering about going back. The item that brakes the back for him on needing to go back is the visit to the funeral. I think that Hurley's dying could be the catalyst that sets Jack over the edge finally.

If there is only 6 of them off the island and Hurley's gone bonkers, that might also explain why no one came to the funeral.

I did notice the man in the shack and the portrait of the dog.

If it's Bernard in the coffin, Jack's reaction at the funeral home, and the fact that there were no mourners, and Kate's vehement reaction as to why she wouldn't go to the funeral would make no sense. Unless they really take Bernard in a different direction from here on out.

It's Hurley in the coffin.

In this flash forward (the Charlie appearance was a nice little surprise), it's obviously not too terribly long after the O6 are back, otherwise why still try to use the idea of the O6? Jack alludes to some lingering fame when playing horse with Hurley and he's talking about growing a beard. At this point, it's Hurley who wants to go back and Jack thinks it's nuts to do so. When we had Jack's flash forward at the end of S3, he's, for reasons we're not totally sure of, wavering about going back. The item that brakes the back for him on needing to go back is the visit to the funeral. I think that Hurley's dying could be the catalyst that sets Jack over the edge finally.

If there is only 6 of them off the island and Hurley's gone bonkers, that might also explain why no one came to the funeral.

I did notice the man in the shack and the portrait of the dog.

:agree:

I 100% agree, I am reading this whole thread to catch up and was thinking the same thing the whole time. Just because Hurley was alive in this flash forward, doesn't mean he was alive in Last season's.

At this point, it's Hurley who wants to go back and Jack thinks it's nuts to do so. When we had Jack's flash forward at the end of S3, he's, for reasons we're not totally sure of, wavering about going back. The item that brakes the back for him on needing to go back is the visit to the funeral. I think that Hurley's dying could be the catalyst that sets Jack over the edge finally.

I have no idea who is in the coffin and can't hazard a guess at this time. But I disagree with the above statement. In the S3 finale Jack meets Kate after the funeral. He explains to her how he has been using the "Golden Pass" and flying all around the world waiting for another crash to bring him back to the island. It's obvious he has been wanting to get back to the island before this funeral occurred. I don't know what initially set Jack off to return to the island but I don't think it was this funeral. The funeral may throw him over the edge, though.

It was a good episode. I enjoyed it. They really should have called and warned Jack. Sayid's "monitoring our communications" excuse was lame.

Are you guys serious about Hurley being in the coffin? I think that is next to impossible. The size of the coffin precludes this. Unless Hurley shrunk by 2 feet, and went on an extreme diet, he would not be able to fit in it.

Based on the size, the neighborhood, the absence of attendees at the laying to rest, I'm of the mind (like many others) that it is either Walt, Michael, or an amputee Locke (though I don't think Locke leaves the island).

That guy in the shack looked exactly like Jack's father, correct?

Also, I found the most intriguing aspect of that future conversation at the basketball court to be Hurley saying, "You were wondering if I was going to tell them."

What sort of deal did they have to make to get off of the island?

What sort of deal did they have to make to get off of the island?

I was actually thinking that they were protecting somebody left on the island (based on the conversation witht he man in the suit at the hospital.)

The newspaper clipping seen in the season finale made it pretty clear that whoever died was survived by a teenage son, I thought.

I missed that, i think then it has to be Michael then. None of the others have family like that. Do Rose and Bernard have children?

Well, by "made it clear", I should say, "made it clear once it was freeze-framed and enlarged by fans on the web". But yes, that's my recollection -- several different attempts to get a close look at it suggest that whoever died was survived by a teenage son.

Archived