January Reads

Larry.

Still reading Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", the holidays slowed my reading down. I am loving it. He is a great writer and I love the story and the characters, in addition to the extra bonus -- reading about NY in 1930s and 1940s is always fun for someone who was born in NY in the 70s and still lives there.

Finished Already Dead by Charlie Huston before the new year. Very impressive, and I had already been impressed by his Caught Stealing. But I love the mythology he builds up with all the different vampyre clans in the beginning of this series, so I'll probably continue with No Dominion sooner rather than later.

But right now, I'm working on Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon, a favorite author of mine from way back in the 80's and one of his that I'd never read.

I´ve just finished I am Legend. What an awesome book. I´ve readed it in 3 and a half hours straight because it was too good for me to put it down. I´m glad I readed it before watching the movie, because I doubt the movie could be as good (I havent watched it yet).

I heavily recomend it. Check it out, its a classic.

Hello all,

This is my fisrt post in the forum and I find al of the recommendations here extremely helpful! I've just finished The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson and I am now reading Reapers Gale by Erikson. Malazan is a great series! After that I am thinking about reading the Prince of Nothing Series by R. Scott Bakker (hopefully it's good).

later,

alwierz

Hello all,

This is my fisrt post in the forum and I find al of the recommendations here extremely helpful! I've just finished The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson and I am now reading Reapers Gale by Erikson. Malazan is a great series! After that I am thinking about reading the Prince of Nothing Series by R. Scott Bakker (hopefully it's good).

later,

alwierz

Welcome to the board. I love both Malazan and Prince of Nothing. However, I found Reaper's Gale done in by bloat. I'm anticipating Bakker's Aspect Emperor even more than Martin's A Dance with Dragons. After the first hundred or so pages of The Darkness Tha Comes Before the series turns into a buzzsaw and I couldn't put the books down till they were finished. The best fantasy trilogy I've read.

Just finished reading Joe Abercrombie’s ‘Last Argument of Kings’. I know it’s really early in the year but I can’t see myself reading anything better in 2008 (happy to be proved wrong though!). Nothing happens the way you think it will but everything happens the way it should and everyone gets what they deserve, absolutely brilliant. Have a look at my review over Here. I’m now reading ‘Wastelands’, a collection of post-apocalyptic tales…

I read the second book of The Dark Tower, The Drawing of the Three, again in a single sitting. This time, the prose was so bad and so overwritten and unsubtle that I really didn't want to give it a closer read. Of course, the story was still interesting and I'm still enjoying the ride, regardless.

I'm reading The Guermantes Way, third book of Proust. I can't help but compare the experience to attending a classical music concert, or walking through an art gallery. Art, that's what this is, not literature. I'm just letting it wash over me.

I'm reading The Guermantes Way, third book of Proust. I can't help but compare the experience to attending a classical music concert, or walking through an art gallery. Art, that's what this is, not literature. I'm just letting it wash over me.

3 and 4 really sagged for me, but 5 started to pick up and 6, I thought, was brilliant - probably the best part of the whole work. Anyway, keep plugging away. And your description is dead-on: you don't read Proust so much as let it wash over you. I mean, you're not going to wrap your head around a one-page sentence; the best you can do is flow through it - like an Impressionist painting done in words.

I just finished The Lees of Laughter's End by Steven Erikson (full review). I loved it - Erikson is really at his best in short fiction and his word play has never been better. I had hoped to read Sanderson's first Mistborn book next, but it hasn't gotten here yet, so I think I'll probably read The Traitor by Michael Cisco while I continue to wait.

I'm finishing up Christopher Barzak's debut novel, One for Sorrow and...fuck...

That's my reaction to a few of the scenes. Sorta like what many here would feel like if they had heard just how shitty of a life an acquaintance of theirs really has. This is a very powerful story and deserving of all the accolades it's received the past few months. If I had read this a month or so ago, it definitely would have made the shortlist for Debut of the Year. And although I haven't read any Sebold, from what I've read elsewhere, fans of The Lovely Bones in particular will love this novel to bits.

I'm always reading several books parallel. Bad habit, I know. :)

Right now, it's

Katherine Kurtz, Deryni Checkmate

Lois McMaster Bujold, Cordelia's Honor

Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Chosen

R.E. Howard, The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane (in the new DelRey edition)

Next on the list:

Katherine Kurtz, High Deryni

Jim Butcher, Furies of Calderon

Stephen Lawhead, Scarlet

Lynn Viehl, Evermore

I managed to finish my first book of the year and have now written up the review. The book was "The Blonde" by Duane Swierczynski - a break-neck crime thriller that I've been wanting to read for almost a year now. It was pretty fun. Imagine a much tamer, more bland version of Warren Ellis' "Crooked Little Vein" and you've about nailed it. Still fun and entertaining, but nothing special or new. Just something to fill the time with.

I finished Daniel Abraham's A Betrayal In Winter and enjoyed it more than A Shadow in Summer, the previous volume in the Long Price Quartet. Plotwise, it tells a decent story of intrigue in the matter of the succession of a ruler, but the most rewarding parts of the books for me remains the idea of the andat. I look forward to An Autumn War.

I just began The Rainy Season by James Blaylock. It is another of his southern California ghost stories, like Winter Tides.

I have read this month:

Plain Truth, by Jodi Picoult. A book about an Amish chick accused of infanticide, and though cloying and slightly too convenient at times, a very easy read and a vivid insight into Amish life. A good legal thriller, if not outstanding such as John Grisham's earlier works. Great characterisation and for once the first-person POV didn't annoy the piss out of me.

The Potter's House, by Rosie Thomas. Now this book made me go What. The. Fuck. Thomas couldn't decide whether her book was going to be about - an intimate little story about heartache and forbidden passions, or a weird supernatural 'parallel life' tale about two women who could have been each other. Confused? So was I. It's set on a Greek island and here Thomas has done well. The atmosphere was definitely Greek and I loved the descriptions of island life. Characterisation ranged from good to atrocious.

Cat's Eye, by Margaret Atwood. Pointless lump of drivel that got rave reviews, so I thought it must be good. It wasn't. About a painter who had a creepy and abusive relationship with her best friend which supposedly haunts her for life. Full of pointless crap. Do I want to read half a page worth of description of a family's ears? Ears that were never mentioned again? Atwood's dry, over-descriptive prose was even more irritating than the Handmaid's Tale, which I actually enjoyed. Cat's Eye is bullshit on paper. Give this one a miss.

Lord Edgeware Dies, and After the Funeral, by Agatha Christie. I am a Christie fan, for her plots rather than anything else, and these two fulfilled their obligations: they kept me guessing until the end, and I was pleasantly surprised with the 'revelations'. Wasn't too out of the blue, and the red herrings were convincing.

An Utterly Impartial History of Britain by John O'Farrell

A Christmas present from my MIL, a humerous take on the history of Britain. Fortunately there was actually some gentle humour here and some interesting trivia and it is not at all too bad. Consider it if you are stuck for gift, it isn't awful.

Archived