GRRM ADwD Jan 2 update ADWD SPOILERS

mcbigski

The new Ice and Fire update is up on GRRM's site.

It sounds like there may be an additional new POV as well. Based on the hint he gave, it will be one of the following:

SPOILER: ADwD
One of the characters featured in the first batch of Dark Sword miniatures who hasn't had a POV yet - so either The Hounds, Loras Tyrell, or Melisandre. (Or maybe Generic Night's Watch Brother)

Not sure which one I'd like to see the most.

Well, before I read the new Jon chapter I just want to say that GRRM's update has me feeling a bit more upbeat as to the eventual quality of ADWD...

Is that read (reed) or read (red)? I printed it for later. I thought George's update was rather encouraging myself. I can't wait to sink my teeth into the new chapter.

I was so sure he was going to say it was done. I was hoping he would stick to his last update where he said that the next update would confirm that he was done with "Dance"

Damn, damn, damn!!!!!

I would rather have quality than crap so I guess "all's good" Let the waiting game commence.

I would really love to know about how many pages the next book is going to be. Seeing that it is going to be the first sighting of my favorite characters in quite some time I am hoping for a very large page count. 1000+ pages would be great.

Is the new Jon chapter up. I clicked the link in the new update but all I see is the Danny chapter.

OK. Sorry about starting the thread in the wrong place. I tried the ADwD sub forum first, but I lacked the proper authoritay. Not sure why here instead of General, but whatever. Either way it's nice to have something new to discuss for a change.

Personally, I'd guess it's going to be option #2 in my list of characters. The others will probably be in close proximity to other existing POVs, so they might be less necessary.

And the Jon chapter is up me399.

Well I always thought that Melisandre is one of the characters who know too much. Either we have overestimated her, GRRMs decided to make an exception regarding the "Howland-Varys-and-Littlefinger-rule" or the new POV is not Melisandre. I think the latter is the case. Which basically means that the new POV is either Loras Tyrell or the Hound. Assuming that the Hound is the gravedigger, he would be a possibility, eventually telling us of his decision to come back to King's Landing to fight for the faith.

On the other hand, considering that ADWD tells the story in the north and the east, I theorize: Loras is heading to Meereen to become another "suitor" of Dany's or to offer a marriage with Willas to Dany.

The last possibility I see is that GRRM will give us an epilogue featuring a black brother.

Melisandre would be interesting simply b/c you couldn't really trust her interpretation of anything, so she would be, for us fanatics, the ultimate unreliable narrator in the books, especially concerning interpretation of prophesy. A POV of Melisandre would be awesome.

Fat Man:

Melisandre is one of the most enigmatic characters in the whole story. Is she really a red priest? Does she really believe that Stannis is the PWWP? Is she really trying to fight the Others? What's up with Rhollor anyways?

All these questions would probably be revealed in a Melisandre-POV, although they could be used in a much more dramatic way at a later point in the story. It's a bit like reading the first ADWD-chapter from Varys's perspective who tells us that he is Aerys' greatuncle, Jon is the PWWP and Aegon VI is alive.

Fat Man:

Melisandre is one of the most enigmatic characters in the whole story. Is she really a red priest? Does she really believe that Stannis is the PWWP? Is she really trying to fight the Others? What's up with Rhollor anyways?

I disagree. I don't think there's anything really enigmatic at all about the first three questions. The answer to all three is "yes," and everything points in that direction. I'm really not sure why people think that she's lying about her motivation.

From GRRM:

===== The problem with doing these updates is that each of them is an attempt to predict the future, and if there's one thing that I have proved beyond a doubt these last few years, it's that I'm very bad at predicting the future, especially when my own work is concerned. I suppose I incline too much toward optimism. =====

Perhaps this is a caution to those who believe too strongly in prophecies?!?

sPh

I agree - The Red Bitch knows too much. She's the least likely of the three to be the next POV.

I think Loras is more likely, since we haven't had a Tyrell POV character yet. Plus there's the whole mystery around the storming of Dragonstone.

I don't see Sandor-the-Gravedigger running off anywhere anytime soon... what benefit would his POV serve to the story? Potentially as a epiloge I suppose, but then that means his days are numbered... I do think that a Sandor POV would be far more interesting than a Loras POV however. I just don't think it'd give as much plot development.

ETA: I doubt that George would confirm that Sandor is still alive via a DwD update... and by saying he's a new POV character he'd be doing just that. I think that too speaks against it being Sandor. Or, maybe he thinks he was clear enough in aFFC, but I doubt it.

ETA: I doubt that George would confirm that Sandor is still alive via a DwD update... and by saying he's a new POV character he'd be doing just that. I think that too speaks against it being Sandor. Or, maybe he thinks he was clear enough in aFFC, but I doubt it.

I remember reading a post where someone said George said at a reading that to figure out whether Sandor was alive you had to read AFFC. It was in there. Or something like that. That is third hand, though.

I think it was from the signing tour. I'll do a quick check.

Archived